RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Planning to buy 2013 450h in next few weeks --- How much below MSRP price I can get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 07:07 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Sanzo, some additional thoughts FWIW:

Do a search here on "RX" and "2013" -- you'll find 2-3 threads about the new 2013 both in this forum as well as "Car Chat" that were very active in late February and early March and have dribbled on since then. A lot more pics, thoughts on pros/cons of 2012 vs 2013, etc. there than here.

While I would agree the 2013 changes are "primarily aesthetic" and an evolution on the original 2010 design, that's not the whole case. The larger esthetic changes include new front end and spindle grille, LED DRLs (and hence redesigned headlights), new tail lights, new steering wheel, a couple other minor interior trim additions, middle console box redesign. A couple paint options were added, one or two were changed. A new saddle leather interior color and changed "black" wood trim is available. A new "sport mode" is standard on the 2013 450h. There are some other changes that depending on options you want, may or may not come into play for only a 2013 compared to a 2012, including: new heated steering wheel, parking assist has 2 more sensors on the front end, sound system is changed in some manner (pictures have less buttons for all variations including ML), Enform 2.0 is included (allows Lexus app connection to smartphone data as well as future upgrades, but requires a monthly fee to keep it going after the trial), Blind Spot Monitor option replaced previous Wide Angle View camera option on passenger mirror, there is an F-Sport package that further changes the front end look and adds F-Sport emblems if that's what you want. You'll also find Lexus moved some features into the base model and between packages, so it's a bit tricky doing line item 2012-2013 price comparisons with anything but a bottom-line view. Also, some notable options like LED Headlights and Mark Levinson MSRP have GONE DOWN substantially from 2012 to 2013 if those are on your radar.

As discussed previously, I would suggest that if it's important for you to feel like you "got a deal" on your new ride, a 2012 in your timeframe may be better than expecting the same out of a new 2013. ...that is of course, if Lexus can find one in the US with the options you are looking for.

If you really don't like the new spindle grille being introduced with the 2013, well, get a 2012 quickly. I'm personally still not completely bought in to the new look, but given it is the Lexus styling direction, I decided to force myself to love it sooner than later.

One more subjective point to perhaps consider is resale value. At least for me, buying a 2012 when 2013 are on the lot AND knowing the new styling direction is with the spindle grille, well, I'd suggest immediate depreciation of a 2012 is going to be more when you drive it off the lot, than a comparative 2013. Not trying to stir up controversy on this point, but in my case that was a key factor. I felt I may get a better "deal" on the 2012 now, but at the cost of lesser value of that ride compared to a similar 2013 when it's time to flip it for another. I know this is all a speculation point we could debate (and I don't want to), but you'll have to decide for yourself, just as I did.

Also, do any of those new 2013 options become important "must have's", or perhaps the aggregate number of "little things" on the 2013 have some differentiating value in your decision. (The aggregate changes is what did for me -- not any one individual thing).

I say all that from the position of having placed an order for a 2012 RX450h on November 9. It was finally constructed and on a ship a couple days before the Geneva Auto Show in early March when the 2013 RX was unveiled. After hunting down a lot of conflicting or should I say "non-specific" information, I decided that I really would prefer to have a 2013 RX450h, knowing I'd have to start over in the ordering process... My dealer was good enough to suck up the vehicle that was on it's way, and placed a new order for me with effectively the same colors and options in early March. I'm now playing the waiting game again and may well end up with the longest wait time for a Lexus special order of anyone on this forum -- but remain happy with my decision. Good luck with yours!
Love the breakdown above

There really isn't a right or wrong answer, its way to subjective.

It really depends on the buyer.

When it comes to the 350 RX 2013...

From my point of view, love the DRLS, wasn't feeling the new bumper design, wasn't going to get the saddle seats, wanted white, so the new colors didn't mean anything to me, wasn't going to get the Blackwood trim, was fine with the navigation joystick placement, didn't need it moved, wasn't going to pay for enform 2, wasn't going to pay for the blind spots detectors, wasn't going to pay for parking assist, new button formations on the radio didn't matter, I love the wooden steering wheel, and rather it than a heated one, I’m getting AWD (East Coast) so wasn't getting or going to pay for the F Sport appearance package (only comes with FWD).

When it comes to a Lexus I don't worry about resale value. I will take note of when I'm buying a model at the top of the price point, when that same exact model will be sold for 3k or so less in December. Buying a 2013 now IMO will be take on a bigger hit than a 2012 (which is now being sold at its lowest point in some cases), bc the 2013 is being brought at its highest price point. Now if you wait until next year to buy it when buyers are getting it for around or less than invoice, than I agree.

Now when 2015/2016 roll around, and that engine gets an upgrade, and they had enough time to do trial and error and finalize the design, count me in.

JMHO
Old 05-10-12, 10:26 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I doubt you'll see any discounts right now as a lot of dealers still don't have any on their lots.
Old 05-10-12, 12:21 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gqscholar
I havent read about any such incentives for 2013
they are always there. you can get them on the new 2013 GS
Old 05-10-12, 12:32 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
they are always there. you can get them on the new 2013 GS

I looked at the loyalty program and and it states 2012 IS, ES and RX.

I didn't see anything about a 2013 GS or 2013 RX

I posted the previous and the new Loyalty program ad below.

Looks as if they removed the RX from the loyalty program all together - New Add

Note: Looks as if the Luxary Vehicle Owner program is over for now. For example getting $1,500 back for having a Acura, Infinity, BMW, Cadillac, etc

http://www.pohankalexuschantilly.com...tionValue=Sign and Drive Specials
Attached Thumbnails Planning to buy 2013 450h in next few weeks --- How much below MSRP price I can get?-untitled.png   Planning to buy 2013 450h in next few weeks --- How much below MSRP price I can get?-2untitled.png  

Last edited by gqscholar; 05-10-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-10-12, 07:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

they have it but they dont tell people. The dealer is at least willing to take off $1000 on any new vehicle if you are a negotiator
Old 05-10-12, 08:07 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

HTML Code:
he economy dropped like a rock back in 2010, and Lexus had a huge surplus of SUVs

This times things are different, especially after the plant disaster in Japan, and the increase of car buying in the US.

I doubt anybody get much of anything off of MSRP at this stage of the game.
Sorry but this car was made for me it was not some dealer order that my dealer got it while it was on the ship. They did not have a huge surplus of this car with all the options that I wanted on the car. They still had 2010 cars on the lot when I order my 2011 in fact the 2011 were not here yet when I made my order.
As far as the 2013 I would shop it hell out of it and tell your dealer what you will pay for it. The worst thing they can do is say no to your offer. Just do not look at your local dealership look around one of them will want your money. That is what I did when I shop your my car and I think that the dealers know that some money is still better than no money.
Old 05-10-12, 08:44 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
I order my car and paid 1K over the invoice. But this was Sep of 2010 and got the car at the end of Nov 2010.
I picked up my 450h in Sep 2010 for $6,500 off MSRP.
Old 05-10-12, 08:47 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

good going