RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Weird sound when release brake pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 12:06 PM
Baldies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound when release brake pedal...

Good day to all... I've had my 2012 RX350 for almost a month now... This is my second straight RX 350 for I had the 2009 RX 350 before this...
Overall, big improvements compared to older generation...
Here's my little problem.. After breaking and I release the brake pedal, it makes a strange noise... Not a "hissing" sound, more like "the brake pedal needs greasing" sound..
I went back to the dealer today to get that check up, and they say it's a known issue for this generation of RX...
Anyone else experienced this ?
Old 05-04-12, 12:52 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....so that means that there is no fix for the annoying noise?....have you contacted Lexus and see what they say?
Old 05-05-12, 06:11 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

I actually went threw this last year when I picked up my RX350 from JM lexus. I was driving home that night and when I start easing on the brakes you would here a clicking noise. I thought it was not normal so I contacted the JM lexus service and got the car in the next day and I got a loaner. I got the car back 3 hours later and they told me it was a seatbelt tensioner lose. I got the car back and drove it around the mechanics told me they couldn't here it anymore.

I thought the sound had went away but it came back and it was louder and it sounded like some thing snap every time I had stepped on the brakes. I went back to the dealer and they told me to take a test drive with the techs, we drove for about 30 minutes until the sound started to get louder as I point it out to them. JM lexus had my car for 3 days and gave me a loaner. I got my car back and they told me they me they retorque every bolt according to the manual.

I drove home and the sound just got worst and worst to the point I called JM lexus and told them I was going to lemon law the car. They told me to bring it in and the service manager, Master Mechanic and I took a ride around and he heard the sound as well. He then begins to tell me that this is very common on the RX350 the problem was the rear brake were poorly manufactured that if need to be over Lubed because the many contact point of the rear brakes 6 on each side I think he said.

After that they kept my car for 3 days and I got it back. I have been riding in the car for 14 months now and 18,000miles with now sound or any issues.
Old 05-05-12, 12:37 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

..good news I guess...another mystery solved...ahhh!.....the tribulations of car ownership..which is like marriage to some of us.....the more we complaint the more we like it...lol....
Old 09-18-17, 02:30 PM
panjfj
Rookie

just bought a certified 2015 RX450h and have a weird noise as described by OP.

Especially at stop signs and making a gradual long stop and then lifting brake off quickly to get on the gas, right at the moment of lifting off the brakes, i get a squeak that is somewhat low pitch and it sounds like it is coming from the brake pedal. I put some silicone grease on some of the joints as a precaution and also notice that when i pump the brakes or simulate it when it is stationary, it does not make the sound.

It is also somewhat intermittent.

Dealer resurfaced all rotors and there is about 8mm of pads all around. They also checked the brakes when i told them of the issue and told me they cleaned it up again but it did not help.

Any one who have gotten it diagnosed and fixed?

Thanks
Old 09-23-17, 11:03 AM
panjfj
Rookie

bumping up hoping to get a response please?
Old 09-23-17, 04:22 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by panjfj
bumping up hoping to get a response please?
Bump does not help.

An unread thread comes up bold in display. So if the topic is of interest, members will click to open the thread. If your post starts to fall off the first page then there might be some merit in bumping. Frequency of new threads is not high, that is why bump will not help.

If members have an answer they will solicit one or two. If they are not sure they tend to pass.

If you become desperate and are willing to take any suggestion or have an update to share, please add post(s) to the thread.

If you are willing to take ANY suggestion ... please try to narrow down the source of noise. Is i the brake pedal to pin or simply the whine of the MGs as they switch to generator or quit being the generator, power_invertor etc.

Salim
Old 09-24-17, 04:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Maybe you just need to get used to the new to you noises of your new vehicle. After a while you will no longer notice them. If the brakes work fine and the dealer cannot find anything wrong, I bet it is just a matter of becoming accustomed to all the strange sounds generated by a hybrid vehicle. I had this issue when I got my first hybrid, by the time I was on hybrid 2 I no longer paid attention to all the strange sounds it generated what with regenerative braking and electric and gas motors switching on and off. I bet you will have the same experience in a month or two.
Old 09-25-17, 10:41 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Thanks for posting back.

I am 100% sure it is not the regenerative breaking as i am familiar with that sound and have no issues with that. I sounds like it is coming from the paddles or whatever is connecting the paddles to stuff behind.

The thing is that it really depends on how i stop and how long i hold down the brakes for. Especially when i hold it down hard while at a stop light. I have test driven other 2015 RX450h and cannot replicate the sounds so i know its only on my vehicle. My lexus dealer is 70 miles away from me which is why i have not stopped in yet. I plan on doing that but just wanted you guys' help to hasten the diagnosis, especially since in the original post, it was claimed that this was some sort of a known issue on the RX

I am going to try to get a video one of these days.
Old 09-26-17, 08:32 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

One needs both eyes and specially stereophonic audio [with good ears .. that is why children are a good resource] to pin point the source of the noise.

If the noise can be reproduced in park ... simply get at the carpet level and see where the play is.

If the problem is due to play between two moving parts, you dont need Lexus trained mechanics to figure this out.

Salim
Old 09-26-17, 09:22 AM
panjfj
Rookie

Unfortunately the sound cannot be replicated in park mode. As mentioned in my original post #5, it needs me to slow down gradually and then lift off the brakes really fast and it is intermittent.

It will not come on if i were to simulate it in park mode.
Old 09-26-17, 02:36 PM
Clutchless

Then the sound is from a moving part and is likely from somewhere in your brake calipers. I would have someone who is detail oriented service the brakes carefully and lubricate all the moving parts and be really sure all the factory pad backing shims are present. Lack of shims can create free play and lead to noise. Maybe have a parts drawing available to compare.
You can find a parts drawing at https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html
Old 09-27-17, 06:18 PM
panjfj
Rookie

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ufoq8meu...IYhqe0uza?dl=0

I have a link with two video files that i managed to capture the sound very clearly. I named one file good and one file bad. The bad file has the sounds i am describing right after i lift off the brake. Both were similar type braking intensity and distance at a stop sign. The good one is when it does not make the sound.

Question for Clutchless- would a caliper issue produce the sound by the brake pedals?

Note: Pardon the video of my foot, but i wanted to show how i was stepping on the brakes for you guys to make a good assessment. Also turn up your volume, it should be pretty obvious. You can hear the regenerative braking which i know is normal and actually quite like the sound.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-27-17, 06:33 PM
Clutchless

No, it would not make a sound by your foot at the brake pedal.
I listened and that sounds like some kind of noise trickling in from the master cylinder. Like a brake fluid type vacuum noise it would make under pressure and then released. When was the brake fluid last flushed? Although it may not make any difference to change the brake fluid. Have they checked brake pedal free play? There is a specification and adjustment for it. I think someone actually posted it on this forum at one point. You may be able to search for it.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-27-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 06:44 PM
panjfj
Rookie

I just got it new certified with 23K miles on it. The 30K service has the brake fluid flush. The only brake service they did was to resurface the rotors. Is the brake pedal free play something i can check and adjust?

Quick Reply: Weird sound when release brake pedal...