RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Getting windows tint this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 01:34 PM
yeuchau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting windows tint this weekend

Going to get my car tinted this weekend.
I know rx350 comes with smoke class in the back, do you guys know approx what percent would that be?

I am going with Liumar air blue for front windshield and 3M all around.
Anyone knows the difference between FX premium vs color stable?
Old 04-25-12, 02:39 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to CL! Sorry I can't answer your questions but im going to get my RX350 tinted this weekend also.(as long as something doesn't come up) Im going with Llumar 15% for the front two windows. I wonder what the rear % is. Are you able to apply tint over your factory tint?
Old 04-25-12, 02:46 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yeuchau
Going to get my car tinted this weekend.
I know rx350 comes with smoke class in the back, do you guys know approx what percent would that be?

I am going with Liumar air blue for front windshield and 3M all around.
Anyone knows the difference between FX premium vs color stable?
if you're still here in CALIFORNIA, where we have California Highway Patrol 24/7.
i suggest you review the CA tinting LAW again.

currently the fine is $173 plus tax if ever you get pulled over and a "fix it" note on your citation.
so i would think twice before i tint the driver and passenger window.
OR just have some "change" ready every week

Quoting VC 26708(d)

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
Old 04-26-12, 12:46 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Look around and you can find out what your state will let you have on your car without paying the extra tax that the state highway patrol gives out.
http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDoc...aw%20Chart.pdf Good luck with your cars.
Old 04-26-12, 01:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

25% will match the factory windows pretty closely. Whether that tint level is legal in your state you will have to research.
Old 04-26-12, 01:41 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Its a 75.00 risk here in de
Old 04-26-12, 01:47 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory tint is metered at 18%. So either 15 or 20% to match. I have 15% on the front and it matches great.
Old 04-26-12, 06:04 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

The back window looks like 35% transmission to me.
Old 04-26-12, 09:37 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Back window is 20% something, mine was measured so the fronts can match. That's why I hate states with stupid, ridiculous laws like CA, too many laws that doesn't really help with anything.
Old 04-26-12, 10:01 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Back window is 20% something, mine was measured so the fronts can match. That's why I hate states with stupid, ridiculous laws like CA, too many laws that doesn't really help with anything.
i'm from New England, originally.. and now living in California. Like you, i used to question this tinting law, however, No other states can match the "drive by" that CA has to offer. and i'm not speaking about the song by Train..

I believe this law was put in place to protect the Highway Patrol ( State Police) from being gunned down when doing a pull over.
Old 04-26-12, 11:15 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^That is the intended purpose of that law, but still, with training and actually applying the training, being gunned down can be prevented. And having the rear tinted and not the front doesn't make sense, the rear passenger can gun you down as well. I can go on a whole debate about this but I'm not going to. Cops can use the bright spotting light and bright LED flashlight and even with 20% tint, you can see the inside, plus, the cops are in an advantage position. Those cops that are being gunned down for stopping a car had a mental lapse and I feel sorry for the families that they left behind.

And as far as strict gun laws, the only thing that they're restricting are the law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.
Old 04-26-12, 11:21 PM
yeuchau
Driver School Candidate

I am not worried about being pull over for front windows.
So anyone experience the difference between 3m FX premium vs color stable?
Old 04-27-12, 10:55 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

As long as it is not raining if I ever have to have that road side chat with the police I put all the windows down and turn on the inside lights. I for one do not care to have a gun pointed at me. That and when you tell them that you do have a weapon in the car they tend to think more about that than if you had happen to forget that those speed signs are not just suggestion.
Old 04-27-12, 11:21 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yeuchau
I am not worried about being pull over for front windows.
So anyone experience the difference between 3m FX premium vs color stable?
I have always gone with the 3M premium because of the thin layer of extra metal in it to keep the car cooler.
Old 04-27-12, 01:06 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billy44bo
As long as it is not raining if I ever have to have that road side chat with the police I put all the windows down and turn on the inside lights. I for one do not care to have a gun pointed at me. That and when you tell them that you do have a weapon in the car they tend to think more about that than if you had happen to forget that those speed signs are not just suggestion.

my plan is to do the same, luckily i haven't been pulled over in years, knock on wood

I've owned several vehicle with tint between 10% and 20%, which breaks the tint law in all states. Going on 13 years now and i've never had an issue with the fuzz giving me grief over tint

Quick Reply: Getting windows tint this weekend