RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New tires on the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 09:39 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

How are the tires doing so far? Please let us know.

Did you compare this tire to Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology? If you did then what made you choose this over the Conti?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-12, 01:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The Pirellis are great. I feel more confident driving over the bumps and definitely in turns. I've only put on maybe 350 miles on them so far. Time will tell if mileage increases. They are two pounds heavier than the Dunlops.

I didn't consider the Continentals because of the price, over $300. I think it was the CrossContacts. I can't remember. The Yokohama Paradas were the only other serious contender. The low price was enticing but I read tire wear could be an issue. It wasn't worth chancing so I opted instead to go with the Pirellis ($249) because of their higher tread wear rating and warranty. I'll see how they are in the rain this weekend too. Snow will have to wait.
Old 04-21-12, 12:48 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks and good luck with them
Old 04-21-12, 04:24 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I'm still shocked at the low mileage that the tires on the RX series are getting. Anita, it sounds like you may have gotten even less mileage out of the tires on the third gen RX than you did on your second gen RX. I remember you posting a while ago of the mileage of when you changed out your tires on your second gen RX, but I can't remember what the mileage was.

I've got a little over 27,000 miles on my '10 RX, and the Dunlops are still doing great! Anita, keep us posted on how the Pirelli Scorpions are doing so us fellow RX'ers can make informed decisions on our next tire purchase. This will be very helpful!
Old 04-21-12, 05:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

No luck for me with OE tires I've gotten the same mileage on all three RXs - Goodyear, Goodyear and Dunlop (Goodyear). I could have squeezed a little more out of them but I don't like to take chances. Previous times were right before winter, this time before a tire rotation and annual alignment. Just didn't make sense. BTW, I've gotten much better mileage on the second set, all non-OE tires.
Old 04-22-12, 04:12 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

we've got 20k miles on our yokohama's and they still look new. Don't think there's going to be a problem with hitting 40k so far (knock on wood).
Old 05-20-12, 05:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Little update after almost two months and close to 1K miles. I'm still enjoying the ride. One thing I noticed is I don't need to add air every few weeks like I did on the Dunlops. The pressure stays constant. Mileage is starting to gradually increase now that the weather is finally starting to warm up. I expect it to only get better over the summer. My SA recommended raising the tire pressure to 34 when I brought the 450h in for service a few weeks ago to help maximize wear. She has the '12 RX and the OE Michelins are going quickly. She'll probably change over to the Scorpion Verdes when the time comes. Only complaint, trying to get the mold coating off the tires. I used tire cleaners and APCs. Barely took it off. I wound up trying peanut butter since it can remove wax from plastic trim. It worked. Most of it's gone
Old 05-20-12, 06:20 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Anita, I also exchanged my Dunlops after 300 miles on a brand new 2012 RX 350. I've got 750 miles on new Pirelli Scorpion Verde's P235/55R19's and they are a much quieter tire and absorb road irregularities better than Dunlops, but still the ride is much rougher than the Michelins on my LS 430, which is the car I most often drive.

The Tire Rack buyer survey has them much higher rated than the Dunlops with very few users saying they would buy the Dunlops again.
Old 05-20-12, 06:23 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the factory michelins and still have about 50% thread left on them im just under 25k miles. Im assuming I will be able to get to 50k miles on the odo before i have to replace them. They are filled with nitrogen from the previous owner. I wonder if thats helping with the slow wear.
Old 05-20-12, 07:23 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Little update after almost two months and close to 1K miles. I'm still enjoying the ride. One thing I noticed is I don't need to add air every few weeks like I did on the Dunlops. The pressure stays constant. Mileage is starting to gradually increase now that the weather is finally starting to warm up. I expect it to only get better over the summer. My SA recommended raising the tire pressure to 34 when I brought the 450h in for service a few weeks ago to help maximize wear. She has the '12 RX and the OE Michelins are going quickly. She'll probably change over to the Scorpion Verdes when the time comes. Only complaint, trying to get the mold coating off the tires. I used tire cleaners and APCs. Barely took it off. I wound up trying peanut butter since it can remove wax from plastic trim. It worked. Most of it's gone
Looking at the Consumer Survey results on Tire Rack, the Scorpion Verdes are now the highest rated tire on their CUV list. Stats look very good, except the Noise Comfort rating is a little lower than the tire's other ratings. Any comments on the tire's noise characteristics? I have the Dunlops, like you originally did, and I am considering just taking them off the car if I can get enough improvement on a new set of tires. My two priorities are ride comfort and noise comfort.

Also, you say that gas mileage is slowly improving. Was there any change in mileage relative to the Dunlops?

Last edited by UCSB; 05-20-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 03:28 PM
chubbly
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I just found this forum today after looking online to find tires that are cheap and of quality for my 2010 Lexus RX450h. After taking my car to the Lexus dealership today, I was told I needed to replace all four tires and the total would come out to be $1180 (all services included). They mentioned that the tires would be 210 a piece. I have been using Dunlops so I'm assuming that's what they would have been replacing my tires with for the total of 1180. I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations on tires that last and are more affordable before I spend 1k on my car. I believe these Dunlops have lasted about 18-20k miles and I'm hoping to get a set of tires that last longer. How many miles do your tires usually last? I feel like mine are way too short..

I was looking at these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=AWD

I'm no tire expert so I was hoping you guys could help. What do you guys think about these Bridgestones?

Last edited by chubbly; 07-17-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 05:26 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

HTML Code:
looking online to find tires that are cheap and of quality for my 2010 Lexus RX450h
I do not think that you will ever find that combination cheap and quality on tires went out the door back in the 70's. I have a 2011 RX450h with 20k miles on it with 7/32 of tire tread left on them think it was only 11/32 new. Long post but if you can find that cheap and quality thing in tires PLEASE let us all know
Old 07-17-12, 06:10 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The best way to find a cheap quality tire is to go to tirerack.com and look at the summary statistics in the tire surveys. Then decide if one has good enough performance to meet your price point. My personal approach is to try and get the best tire I can. Tires make a tremendous difference is your ride and comfort. I would rather drive a much cheaper car on superb tires than a luxury car on cheap tires.

Here is a sample:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=CSTAS

But, there are similar charts for other tire classes (Grand Touring, Sport Truck etc.) that can be used on the RX. Make sure you enter your tire size in to see tires that come in that size.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-17-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 06:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^^I agree. I wouldn't go cheap on the tires. Comfort ranks up there with wear to me. The Pirellis were in between the Michelins and Dunlops price wise. But the Pirellis seemed to offer the best all around. I paid around $1,200 a few months ago through my local fav tire guy. I'm still enjoying the ride four months later.
Old 07-17-12, 07:05 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced two of my Dunlops this past weekend because one tire had a nail that was in such a spot that it couldn't be patched. I have Tire and Wheel insurance that I purchased when I bought the '10 RX. Currently, my RX has a little over 30,000 miles. I had just had the Dunlops rotated three weeks ago, and they put down that they were still in good shape. But I was becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the ride, especially after driving a loaner 2012 RX for two weeks that had the Michelins on it.

So I purchased one Michelin tire and got the second one with the tire insurance, and even with just the two Michelins on it, the car is riding substantially better. It's helping me like my RX again.

Quick Reply: New tires on the RX450h