RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX 350 delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 05:01 AM
Georgejrug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX 350 delivery

My wife picked up her new 2012 RX 350 yesterday.
She drove vehicle 1 mile after delivery and heard load noise in right front when brake was applied.
She returned vehicle to dealership and was told that the noise was because brake pads/ rotors are rusty and noise would go away after driving vehicle for while.
Dealership told her this is normal. My wife didn't agree and returned vehicle. Dealership said they would change rotor.
She was quite upset and refused delivery of this car. Dealership said they would replace vehicle.
This is our 3rd Lexus from this dealership.

Comments welcome.
Old 03-22-12, 05:26 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

A noise from the rotor and the entire vehicle gets replaced? A bit extreme, IMO, but a nice gesture from the dealer. I think this topic might be better suited for the 3G RX forum.
Old 03-22-12, 05:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgejrug
She drove vehicle 1 mile after delivery and heard load noise in right front when brake was applied.
She returned vehicle to dealership and was told that the noise was because brake pads/ rotors are rusty and noise would go away after driving vehicle for while.
Dealership told her this is normal. My wife didn't agree and returned vehicle. Dealership said they would change rotor.
She was quite upset and refused delivery of this car. Dealership said they would replace vehicle.

Comments welcome.
nice dealer
Old 03-22-12, 06:33 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Comments welcome.
Wonderful dealer. I will buy from them again. They went million miles above and beyond their duty to make the customer happy.

What does your wife want?
Old 03-22-12, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Comments welcome.
is your wife happy now? (magic 8 ball suggests no)
Old 03-22-12, 08:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the brakes fail and didn't clamp, then it wouldn't make the noise...
Old 03-22-12, 08:45 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will teach them next time that it would be cheaper to drive around briefly, apply the brakes, and eat away the normal rust build up from having it sit in the lot for a longer period of time, before delivering it to customer.
Old 03-22-12, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Comments welcome.
Your wife was probably wrong...and the rotors probably didn't need replacing. It is normal for some initial-use noise on rotors that get wet after a rain, car-wash, or sit for a while unused in damp climates and get a thin coating of brown rust on them. Under those conditions, when the car is first started up and the brake-pedal applied, there will be a scraping-noise as the rust-layer is scraped away by the pad-contact. The noise normally dies off after a couple of pedal-applications. If it doesn't go away by about the fourth or fifth application, than you have another problem (or condition) in the brakes that needs looking at.

Congratulations, BTW, on the RX purchase .....it is an excellent vehicle; versatile, reliable, quiet, comfortable, and refined to drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-12 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-22-12, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Wonderful dealer. I will buy from them again. They went million miles above and beyond their duty to make the customer happy.

What does your wife want?
Exactly. This dealer took care both of you.

I would buy again from this dealer, refer all of my friends and family, AND post on Club Lexus what a wonderful job they did to make their customers happy (rather than be pissed about it)

I would like to see a competing brand do this.

Which dealership is this because they deserve to be known?
Old 03-22-12, 10:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is your wife happy now? (magic 8 ball suggests no)
i dont want to sound mean, but I feel lucky i am not in OPs pants! :-)
Old 03-22-12, 01:35 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I see OP was from New york.........which dealer was it?....I think they did the right thing!!
Old 03-22-12, 01:50 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder what your wife will do when she hears a dashboard rattle.
Old 03-22-12, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, Georgejrug.......not only congratulatons on the RX purchase, but welcome to CL. I see you are a brand-new member. (didn't notice it at first).

We also have a special-forum here, in CL, for RX-specific topics and chat. But, in CAR CHAT, of course, we can also discuss the RX.....or any other vehicle, Lexus or non-Lexus.
Old 03-22-12, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Wonder what your wife will do when she hears a dashboard rattle.
The RX is so quiet that it doesn't take much for rattles to become noticeable. But, fortunately, it is also so well-built that they are unlikely, especially on a brand-new one.
Old 03-23-12, 12:04 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like they took care of you for a problem that was pretty normal. My rotors get rust on them, especially if its just sitting outside after a car wash. It only makes noise for a short period of time. Apply the brakes a few times and all the rust (And noise) is gone.

Quick Reply: New RX 350 delivery