RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?

Old 03-19-12, 02:35 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?

I love the RX and want to buy a 13. I am a big Lexus and Toyota fan, as reliability has been superb with my previous models....

But now I live 100 miles from closest Lexus dealership. Would this stop you from buying a Lexus? I would be banking on stellar reliability, as that is ONE long haul for service, as the local Toyota dealer advised me they are NOT allowed to service Lexus....thoughts?
Old 03-19-12, 05:22 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In a short answer, NO if I know that's what I want. You'd only have to use them for warranty work. You could use Toyota for normal service and just show them your maintenance book to refer to.]
Originally Posted by Dolphin
I love the RX and want to buy a 13. I am a big Lexus and Toyota fan, as reliability has been superb with my previous models....

But now I live 100 miles from closest Lexus dealership. Would this stop you from buying a Lexus? I would be banking on stellar reliability, as that is ONE long haul for service, as the local Toyota dealer advised me they are NOT allowed to service Lexus....thoughts?
Old 03-19-12, 05:41 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Given overall reliability of my 2 RX's since 1999 and also being somewhat of a fanboy having enjoyed a Lexus in my garage since 1995, I'd go ahead and "take the risk" to buy the Lexus even with a 100 mile commute.

Don't forget -- such was the case for many of us in the early days of Lexus before the number of dealerships grew to what we have come to expect today. I can remember specifically asking the question about "emergency service" with both my first Lexus and Acura back in the day. ...and should the worst case scenario happen and you need a tow, Lexus warranty handles that "to the closest Lexus dealer" with unlimited miles (even if it will take the time out of your day). As Jim suggests, you could do normal service locally and make an event of larger service or warranty requirements -- hopefully your dealership is at a destination you'd enjoy making an outting to.
Old 03-19-12, 07:27 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

100 miles is within reason in my opinion. In Oregon, there are only 2 dealers in the entire State, and I see a lot of Lexus vehicles being driven. I would talk more with the Toyota dealer as to why he says he can not service a Lexus as that is not correct for most Toyota dealers (excluding warranty work of course). Our Lexus dealer is 70 miles distant, and we can visit that dealer whenever we desire as that is where we often go for major shopping, entertainment, etc.
Old 03-19-12, 07:52 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

The reason "this" Toytota dealership is Forbidden to work on Lexus, is because the dealership would require Lexus service certification to work on Lexus, which they are NOT, and are too small to consider it. They made it clear, other than maint. items, they can not service Lexus under any warranty issue. So I plan on getting max. Lexus factory extended warranty, which means I must be prepared for the long haul....its not just the long travel, its "what do you do when you get there"? In other words, it's a 10 hour day, assuming they have the parts you need in stock.

Anyway, some responses sure put this in perspective, in many areas of the country, there is so few Lexus dealerships, this type of commute for service is normal. Which surprises me, as a general rule, I like to have a dealership at least within 40 miles to reduce the burden in case you get an unlucky vehicle. If I was retired, it would be different, but when you are working, it sure adds to the risk factor. Had I not had such great reliability records with Toyota and Lexus through the years, I would never even consider it....

I would think Lexus to increase sales in USA, is make some of the Toyota dealers "Lexus Certified" for service....even if it means a slight subsidy from Lexus...but its a unusual brand, maybe they have no desire for more sales...

Last edited by Dolphin; 03-19-12 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-19-12, 08:00 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Honestly yes. But I'm spoiled by having like 7 Lexus dealers in a 50 mile radius.
Old 03-19-12, 08:33 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You just answered your own question. They can do the required maintenance/service just not warranty repair.. That's standard around the U.S. What we're talking about here is the normal service at 5k intervals, they can handle that as long as nothing is warranty repair.

Lexus only requires that the required maintenance is done using required (by designation) supplies such as the oil, filter, etc. They don't care who does it, so long as you keep records.

You can upload those records yourself to the Lexus site online. But that's totally up to you.
The reason "this" Toytota dealership is Forbidden to work on Lexus, is because the dealership would require Lexus service certification to work on Lexus, which they are NOT, and are too small to consider it. They made it clear, other than maint. items, they can not service Lexus under any warranty issue. So I plan on getting max. Lexus factory extended warranty, which means I must be prepared for the long haul....its not just the long travel, its "what do you do when you get there"? In other words, it's a 10 hour day, assuming they have the parts you need in stock.

Anyway, some responses sure put this in perspective, in many areas of the country, there is so few Lexus dealerships, this type of commute for service is normal. Which surprises me, as a general rule, I like to have a dealership at least within 40 miles to reduce the burden in case you get an unlucky vehicle. If I was retired, it would be different, but when you are working, it sure adds to the risk factor. Had I not had such great reliability records with Toyota and Lexus through the years, I would never even consider it....

I would think Lexus to increase sales in USA, is make some of the Toyota dealers "Lexus Certified" for service....even if it means a slight subsidy from Lexus...but its a unusual brand, maybe they have no desire for more sales...

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-19-12 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-12, 08:41 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

> You just answered your own question.

my question was, "would you buy a Lexus if closest dealer is 100 miles away".....

> They can do the required maintenance/service just not warranty repair..

I can only share what the service manager at Toyota told me... NO SERVICE on Lexus, warranty or NON Warranty.... now granted, I am sure there is some grey areas, such as tires, wiper blades, lamps, etc. If you have a problem with the Lexus computer, they are not certified to touch it. Are you suggesting the service manager was mistaken?
Old 03-19-12, 08:56 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealership

I wouldnt stop from buying a Lexus just because of the distance.

In the 5 years I have had mine 2007 RX350 ive had to take it back to the dealer twice. Once for a recall. And once for warranty work. Both times they gave me a loaner car for the night.

The Toyota dealer can do maintenance work. But not the warranty work.

Or better yet. Read about doing all of your schedule maintenance on this web page. And just have the oil changes done at Wal Mart. Save all kinds of money.

Thats what I do.
Old 03-19-12, 09:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Mistaken? Not sure but it is unusual. Toyota dealers around me advertise they'll work on Lexus. Maybe the dealer by you wants to keep their hands clean if something goes wrong. I can't fault them if that's the case.
Old 03-19-12, 10:20 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I would buy it . I only see the crappy dealer here for the free crap and go to a Toyota dealer for the 5k and 10k miles things after that . 15k service at my Lexus dealer was going to be $350. Did it at Toyota for $27 and order the filters and wiper blades for less than $60 from on line . As far as the 5K and the 10K service call the 800 Lexus number to see if they would pay your Toyota dealer for the first two services. and if not then you are only out for a oil change at 10k.
Old 03-19-12, 12:10 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After the various repsonses you have received so far, sounds like you have 3 main choices:
1. Sell your house and move closer to the Lexus dealer,
2. Purchase a Toyota SUV instead (e.g., a Toyota Highlander), or
3. Get the Lexus and figure that it will be highly reliable, and will likely not have
many, if any, warranty related problems.

I would choose #3.
Old 03-19-12, 12:43 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would buy the car that you want and just drive the 100 miles for service. The roadside service that comes with the Lexus includes free towing to the nearest Lexus dealership. So if the car totally failed, you could just have it transported to the dealership for free. Personally, I also have an upgraded AAA roadside service plan with extended towing range so I have options no matter where i am if I need help.

I have many Lexus dealerships here in the SF bay area. My Lexus dealer is in the small town where I live, a few miles from my house. But, service costs are high here and in the past I have taken my prior Lexus vehicles out of town and drove about 75 miles to a Lexus dealership in the Central Valley to save $400 to $500 on some of the major services on some of my prior vehicles. It is no big deal.
Old 03-19-12, 01:09 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100 miles is not a big deal depending on where you live. I have a dealer in Winnpeg but the next closest one is Regina which is 600K's away. The other way it is Sudbury which is 1600K's away. I only mention this because there are lots of Lexus's in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario so the reliability must be good.
Old 03-19-12, 08:17 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

too funny Jim....
Yeah, I fear I will select your item3 as well.....

This is interesting that so many Toyota dealers service Lexus. I hope we are not confusing repair work, vs reg. schedule maint. work. It appears not.... but some of the posts kept referring to maint. work.

I will investigate this further and find out why some Toyota dealers repair Lexus and others do not. But I think I had what I mentioned prior is the real story, a Toyota dealership must invest in Lexus certified service... not cost effective for small dealership. Valid points about the towing service.....

The RX fits me so well, its hard for me to deny it.... so I will prob. roll the dice on repairs...

Just hope the 13's show up soon at dealers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?