RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h & RX 450h F SPORT to debut @ 2012 Geneva Motor Show 3/6/12

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 03:15 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Some of you may have seen on other posts of mine that I've had a Nebula Gray/Parchment 2012 RX450h on order since Nov 9... I recently received word that it's on a ship and should hit the dock 100 miles north of me here in SoCal on 3/14.

With lots of anticipation, I digested today's announcements -- thinking this was primarily going to be cosmetic changes as we've seen from the leaks. While some are enamoured with the new front end, I already knew that wasn't sufficient reason for me to switch gears from my 2012 that is finally on it's way. Seeing the rest of what is being changed though, convinced me that I would not be happy with a 2012 especially when I keep my rides 5-7 years. I sent an email to my sales person at 5:30 this morning to set up an appt to discuss making the switch to a 2013, and in great customer service form, had a reply by 7AM amazingly enough on the beginning of his days off this week. I was all set to go in and see him upon his return on Friday, when an hour ago I received an email from the dealership GM that they would be happy to do whatever I wanted ... Take the 2012 when it arrives in a couple of weeks, or place a new order which should arrive late June or early July. As much as it pains me on the one hand to wait a total of nearly 8 months with cash in hand, well, I've just switched to a 2013... Great sales customer service is all I can say about Lexus Escondido.

Oh, and my 2013 RX450h will not have a Sports Appearance Pkg -- like Jim, the "basic" spindle grille is only now beginning to grow on me, and there is no way I could jump to the even more aggressive look.
At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. I'm glad Lexus of Escondido was able to accomodate you without hassle. IMO, it's better for you to wait and get the mid-cycle refresh since the 2012 and older will immediately looked "dated" once the refresh is released for sale. Depreciation will take a hit as well not just because it's a 2012 but because the look will be "old."

Also, the 2013 has some new standard equipment but as I asked earlier, I'm curious to know if they also removed some equipment as well. Also, the release date is unknown as we seen everything from being released next month to fall 2012. Either way congrats and good luck with the wait.
Old 03-06-12, 03:28 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. I'm glad Lexus of Escondido was able to accomodate you without hassle. IMO, it's better for you to wait and get the mid-cycle refresh since the 2012 and older will immediately looked "dated" once the refresh is released for sale. Depreciation will take a hit as well not just because it's a 2012 but because the look will be "old."

Also, the 2013 has some new standard equipment but as I asked earlier, I'm curious to know if they also removed some equipment as well. Also, the release date is unknown as we seen everything from being released next month to fall 2012. Either way congrats and good luck with the wait.
Yes, agree with you, not only on the new std features, but also on the depreciation point -- when the rumors of the mid cycle refresh started, that was my initial comment to my salesperson when I sent him the link to the leaked Japanese brochure. ...but then again, by waiting, I'll also be picking up a heated steering wheel that I know some on this board will ooohhh--and--aaahhh over, and I'll maybe use a couple times a year.
Old 03-06-12, 03:32 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Yes, agree with you, not only on the new std features, but also on the depreciation point -- when the rumors of the mid cycle refresh started, that was my initial comment to my salesperson when I sent him the link to the leaked Japanese brochure. ...but then again, by waiting, I'll also be picking up a heated steering wheel that I know some on this board will ooohhh--and--aaahhh over, and I'll maybe use a couple times a year.
Did you modify the order in any way or did you order the exact same car but in a 2013? One major update that has my curiosity is the Saddle interior. I'd be curious to what this looks like and if it's anything like the Caramel (or whatever it's called) in the CT, my wife LOVES it.
Old 03-06-12, 04:00 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by bam
Did you modify the order in any way or did you order the exact same car but in a 2013? One major update that has my curiosity is the Saddle interior. I'd be curious to what this looks like and if it's anything like the Caramel (or whatever it's called) in the CT, my wife LOVES it.
I'm sure internally it's effectively a new order since the original is already on it's way and the dealer will be stuck with it. My order is effectively the same, except for the new MY. I didn't consider saddle interior when I looked closely at a couple of the Geneva photos this morning and saw the carpet was black. I have a creme colored golden retriever that rides in my back seat much of the time and I could never deal with black carpet, my **** cleanliness ways, and her. Had to also rule out a "gray" interior when some folks on this forum helped me figure out that on a RX450h, the seats are two-toned gray/black, but carpet is black, not gray as I would have expected and is the case in my RX400h.
Old 03-06-12, 08:44 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm seeing the four new colors in the press release and wondering if one of them is red. Fire Agate perhaps?
Exterior colors (9): Claret Mica, Silver Lining, Nebula Gray Pearl, Obsidian, Satin Cashmere Metallic, Meteor Blue Mica, Starfire Pearl, Stargazer Black, Fire Agate,
No Matador Read (current RX) or Riviera Red (new GS).

ADD - I checked the conversion on the fuel efficiency - the 450h signage indicate "6.3 l/100km". That equates to 37.3 MPG!!! I wonder what the US EPA method will yield? The press release indicates similar numbers to the 2012.

ADD #2 - noticed colors referenced in the main press release:
Four new exterior colors are available for the RX: Silver Lining Metallic, Claret Mica, Deep Sea Mica Fire Agate Pearl and, replacing Tungsten Pearl, Matador Red Mica and Cerulean Blue Metallic.

Last edited by mklemovitc; 03-06-12 at 09:23 PM. Reason: mpg comment
Old 03-07-12, 04:53 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
I'm seeing the four new colors in the press release and wondering if one of them is red. Fire Agate perhaps?
Exterior colors (9): Claret Mica, Silver Lining, Nebula Gray Pearl, Obsidian, Satin Cashmere Metallic, Meteor Blue Mica, Starfire Pearl, Stargazer Black, Fire Agate,
No Matador Read (current RX) or Riviera Red (new GS).

ADD - I checked the conversion on the fuel efficiency - the 450h signage indicate "6.3 l/100km". That equates to 37.3 MPG!!! I wonder what the US EPA method will yield? The press release indicates similar numbers to the 2012.

ADD #2 - noticed colors referenced in the main press release:
Four new exterior colors are available for the RX: Silver Lining Metallic, Claret Mica, Deep Sea Mica Fire Agate Pearl and, replacing Tungsten Pearl, Matador Red Mica and Cerulean Blue Metallic.
Multiple threads going on related to the new 2013, so a bit hard to follow, but I read these last night that may help:

Claret Mica is the red. See this post #42 for an LX photo: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...archive-3.html I believe Silver Lining Metallic is a new color to the Lexus line. Others can be found on existing other models, e.g. Fire Agate Pearl is on the CT.

Fuel efficiency is the same. Explanation here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post7070319

Last edited by BertL; 03-07-12 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Added reference to other colors
Old 03-07-12, 08:57 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you may have seen on other posts of mine that I've had a Nebula Gray/Parchment 2012 RX450h on order since Nov 9... I recently received word that it's on a ship and should hit the dock 100 miles north of me here in SoCal on 3/14.

With lots of anticipation, I digested today's announcements -- thinking this was primarily going to be cosmetic changes as we've seen from the leaks. While some are enamoured with the new front end, I already knew that wasn't sufficient reason for me to switch gears from my 2012 that is finally on it's way. Seeing the rest of what is being changed though, convinced me that I would not be happy with a 2012 especially when I keep my rides 5-7 years. I sent an email to my sales person at 5:30 this morning to set up an appt to discuss making the switch to a 2013, and in great customer service form, had a reply by 7AM amazingly enough on the beginning of his days off this week. I was all set to go in and see him upon his return on Friday, when an hour ago I received an email from the dealership GM that they would be happy to do whatever I wanted ... Take the 2012 when it arrives in a couple of weeks, or place a new order which should arrive late June or early July. As much as it pains me on the one hand to wait a total of nearly 8 months with cash in hand, well, I've just switched to a 2013... Great sales customer service is all I can say about Lexus Escondido.

Oh, and my 2013 RX450h will not have a Sports Appearance Pkg -- like Jim, the "basic" spindle grille is only now beginning to grow on me, and there is no way I could jump to the even more aggressive look.
June/July delivery? My dealer here is quoting me 8-10 weeks?
Old 03-07-12, 09:48 AM
bam
Lead Lap

I'm sure internally it's effectively a new order since the original is already on it's way and the dealer will be stuck with it. My order is effectively the same, except for the new MY. I didn't consider saddle interior when I looked closely at a couple of the Geneva photos this morning and saw the carpet was black. I have a creme colored golden retriever that rides in my back seat much of the time and I could never deal with black carpet, my **** cleanliness ways, and her. Had to also rule out a "gray" interior when some folks on this forum helped me figure out that on a RX450h, the seats are two-toned gray/black, but carpet is black, not gray as I would have expected and is the case in my RX400h.
Did you get a quote on expected delivery since we've seen people post a range from next month to fall 2012?

Regarding the two-tone, I acutally like it where the leather is Saddle or Grey and the carpet is black but to each their own and that's why the world goes round. We have two little boys soo getting anything other than black is a gamble but my wife loves the Saddle so much (if it's anything like the Caramel in the CT) that she would not let the kids eat their snacks in the car anymore.
Old 03-07-12, 09:52 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Hopefully, the links below work but they should be some "official" photos of the 2013 RX. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to locate a picture of the new Saddle Interior and I'm also curious to see the new silver color.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/album_di...section_id=412

http://pressroom.toyota.com/album_di...section_id=412

Last edited by bam; 03-07-12 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 11:59 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
June/July delivery? My dealer here is quoting me 8-10 weeks?
"End of June" is what the GM said should be possible if we ordered "now", when I traded emails with him yesterday. I consider that an estimate only and if it arrives early, as I've told them, my checkbook is ready and has been since November 9. I believe if anything, the dealership is probably quoting me something realistic, but a bit further out than they really expect so they can "over deliver" to me this time around -- that's what I would do if I were them from a customer sat perspective. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday afternoon, and if I get anything more concrete that may be useful to the folks on this forum, I'll post it upon my return.

As background and perhaps some personal perspective: When I ordered my 2012 RX450h on Nov 9, I was told 6-12 weeks for delivery, and that was pretty much what I was also reading from others on this board at the time. In actuality, it would have been closer to 19 weeks or so by the time I could have taken delivery. Why that is, no one knows or can tell me, and I'm not pushing on the point. What I do know is the car was entered into the ordering system the day I left my deposit, it was "accepted" within days after that by the plant (we were in before some monthly cut-off), but for some reason a build date was not set by the plant for my RX450h until late January, and then it was further out during the week of Feb 20. We have all seen the stats that YTY US RX sales volumes have been down in recent months, so I doubt very much the delay with my 2012 was because the Kokura plant was backlogged on basic RX450h orders. With the leaks of the 2013s coming, a couple of weeks ago I thought perhaps the plant was retooling and they put my order on hold to make it into a 2013 (what a joyful surprise that would have been), but now I know that wasn't the case and 2012's were still being built less than a month ago. I don't have any more facts or extrapolated data points than those. The dealer is careful not to speculate what the problem was (I honestly don't think they know), but given the Japan earthquake/tusnami and then the Thailand floods that were still happening through the end of last year, I will always personally believe the delay on my 2012 was likely due to constrained parts with one of my options that most RX450h showing up at dealers in the last few months don't have (e.g. Luxury Package, HUD, & Mark Levinson). Whatever -- I'm beyond trying to figure out the "why's" now and looking forward to having one of the first 2013s in my exact configuration. It's far from perfect, but I consider accepting an estimated delivery date is just part of the deal when placing special orders... at least it is possible to have an order of magnitude guess when delivery may occur vs. the horrible "go on a priority list for your configuration and wait for a phone call when the next one arrives" process that happened in 2001/2002 when I ordered my SC430 and the average delivery time was in excess of 8-10 months.

Last edited by BertL; 03-07-12 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed the emoticon
Old 03-07-12, 12:24 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by bam
...Unfortunately, I'm still not able to locate a picture of the new Saddle Interior...
Not the best, but here's the one I found yesterday with Saddle/Black. http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...#photo-4870906

...and see ALPY64's posted video below, the last part is more complete with your saddle interior.

Last edited by BertL; 03-07-12 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Reference video
Old 03-07-12, 01:08 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To all, see the video below on the new 450h

Old 03-07-12, 01:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well that definitely shows the new interior color. I really like it. But it will be a couple of years before I'm ready.
Originally Posted by Alpy64
To all, see the video below on the new 450h

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbhR...layer_embedded
Old 03-07-12, 02:22 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"End of June" is what the GM said should be possible if we ordered "now", when I traded emails with him yesterday. I consider that an estimate only and if it arrives early, as I've told them, my checkbook is ready and has been since November 9. I believe if anything, the dealership is probably quoting me something realistic, but a bit further out than they really expect so they can "over deliver" to me this time around -- that's what I would do if I were them from a customer sat perspective. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday afternoon, and if I get anything more concrete that may be useful to the folks on this forum, I'll post it upon my return.

As background and perhaps some personal perspective: When I ordered my 2012 RX450h on Nov 9, I was told 6-12 weeks for delivery, and that was pretty much what I was also reading from others on this board at the time. In actuality, it would have been closer to 19 weeks or so by the time I could have taken delivery. Why that is, no one knows or can tell me, and I'm not pushing on the point. What I do know is the car was entered into the ordering system the day I left my deposit, it was "accepted" within days after that by the plant (we were in before some monthly cut-off), but for some reason a build date was not set by the plant for my RX450h until late January, and then it was further out during the week of Feb 20. We have all seen the stats that YTY US RX sales volumes have been down in recent months, so I doubt very much the delay with my 2012 was because the Kokura plant was backlogged on basic RX450h orders. With the leaks of the 2013s coming, a couple of weeks ago I thought perhaps the plant was retooling and they put my order on hold to make it into a 2013 (what a joyful surprise that would have been), but now I know that wasn't the case and 2012's were still being built less than a month ago. I don't have any more facts or extrapolated data points than those. The dealer is careful not to speculate what the problem was (I honestly don't think they know), but given the Japan earthquake/tusnami and then the Thailand floods that were still happening through the end of last year, I will always personally believe the delay on my 2012 was likely due to constrained parts with one of my options that most RX450h showing up at dealers in the last few months don't have (e.g. Luxury Package, HUD, & Mark Levinson). Whatever -- I'm beyond trying to figure out the "why's" now and looking forward to having one of the first 2013s in my exact configuration. It's far from perfect, but I consider accepting an estimated delivery date is just part of the deal when placing special orders... at least it is possible to have an order of magnitude guess when delivery may occur vs. the horrible "go on a priority list for your configuration and wait for a phone call when the next one arrives" process that happened in 2001/2002 when I ordered my SC430 and the average delivery time was in excess of 8-10 months.
Was there a price increase in MSRP between 2012 and 2013? If so, how much?
Old 03-07-12, 02:48 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by UCSB
Was there a price increase in MSRP between 2012 and 2013? If so, how much?
I do not know those specifics as I'm working at a "like-for-like options bottom line price" between MYs with my dealer, but if I were to guess, the answer is YES here in the US. I say that because for example, the rear power door and USB audio for iPod are now part of the base model, not part of the premium package, and on the RX450h there is a new Sport mode (with that red dash highlight) that has not existed before, I believe in the base. There are also new features or enhancements added to the base, as options, or part of packages like the infamous heated steering wheel, Enform upgrade, (at least it looks like) additional 2 front sensors on the Intuitive Parking Assist Option, std LED DRLs, as well as some of the options moved between packages (e.g. LED headlight option is now part of Luxury, as did the roof rails). It's going to be difficult doing an apples-to-apples comparison of "MSRP" without looking at the bottom-line combined price I suspect. If I'm able to get a better handle on line items when I'm at the dealer on Friday, I'll try to convey what I learn. Until then, I'm all eyes and ears for whatever someone else learns.

Quick Reply: RX 450h & RX 450h F SPORT to debut @ 2012 Geneva Motor Show 3/6/12