RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ROUTINE Service advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 02:22 PM
zmanou812
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROUTINE Service advice

I just had my RX 20,000 mile service done !

I went to the dealer and asked what it costs for the 20,000 service He said $116.00
I asked what it included,
He said
Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
reset maintenance reminder light
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Road-test vehicle
I figured it was basically a very expensive oil change!
I said fine do it.
When they were done the Bill was $174.00
so I asked why, what happened to the $116.00
He told me well the filter is $5.59 plus oil is $42.00 plus gasket and misc $6.99

IS this normal ?
Oil & Filter not included in a $116 dollar service ? W O W
Old 02-27-12, 02:36 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless you are a stickler for having evry service intrval on a Lexus computer eith go to you local Toyota dealer, your local shop, or do it yourself. Just document everthing
Old 02-27-12, 02:53 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zmanou812
I just had my RX 20,000 mile service done !

I went to the dealer and asked what it costs for the 20,000 service He said $116.00
I asked what it included,
He said
Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
reset maintenance reminder light
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Road-test vehicle
I figured it was basically a very expensive oil change!
I said fine do it.
When they were done the Bill was $174.00
so I asked why, what happened to the $116.00
He told me well the filter is $5.59 plus oil is $42.00 plus gasket and misc $6.99

IS this normal ?
Oil & Filter not included in a $116 dollar service ? W O W
I imagine most dealers would quote you the "Total Cost" vs. just quoting you the labor cost.
You obviously know now what this dealer does when asked that question.
Old 02-27-12, 02:55 PM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

IMO, I agree that the cost seems high. But, on the other hand, given the labor cost/hour rate, for the dealer, it may be as low as they can go. For myself, I change my oil (current pricing is less than $45 for both the synthetic oil and OEM filter) & it is easy to do.
Old 02-27-12, 03:20 PM
zmanou812
Driver School Candidate

tell me do they make a spin on oil filter for a 2010 rx or just the filter element?
And I hear you need a special filter wrench. Does anybody have info on this?
Old 02-27-12, 04:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

zmanou812, did your SA have you sign anything before the work statrted stating the charges? It's standard procedure at my dealer.
Old 02-27-12, 05:06 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this is why i keep saying to every Lexus owner that i know, or anyone who would listen.
Have you regular service maintenance DONE at a Toyota Service center.
YOU won't get the nice cookies and the cappucino machine, but your wallet will thank you.
it's a $50-80 cheaper..
Old 02-27-12, 08:14 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
zmanou812, did your SA have you sign anything before the work statrted stating the charges? It's standard procedure at my dealer.
Most dealers go over the service and you sign off on the work to be done, acknowledging the work and cost. it protects both the dealer and your interest in the work being done. If something comes up, they call you about it.
Old 02-27-12, 10:21 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in a expensive part of the San Francisco bay area. My Lexus dealer quoted me $160 for the 10,000 mile service (same as 20,000 mile service). So, if you live in an upscale area in CT the cost is not totally crazy. It is not a great value, but these cars do not require that much service so I wouldn't lose any sleep over the extra $60 a year to take it to the Lexus dealership. I took my Subaru in for its 7,500 mile service (same as 10k service on Lexus); it was $167 (with synthetic oil).

The way that they quoted your service cost was not correct. It was either a miscommunication, honest error on the service persons part, or possibly a little dishonest ... just ask a few more questions in the future.

My daughter is frugal, she takes her Lexus ES to Walmart. To save money and get the exact synthetic oil that she wants, she buys the oil in the store and then takes the oil and car to the service area. Very, very inexpensive and her car runs perfectly. It has been amazingly reliable.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-27-12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 10:28 PM
ggravant
Driver

tell me do they make a spin on oil filter for a 2010 rx or just the filter element?
And I hear you need a special filter wrench. Does anybody have info on this?
This:

Amazon Amazon

I just picked up a Mobil 1 filter element and some Mobil 1 0W-20 and changed the oil about a week ago. The filter includes two new gaskets and also a small plastic screw on tube to allow you to drain the oil in the housing before you remove the filter. It really is easy - I paid ~9.00 a quart for the oil (you need just under 6.5 quarts) and the filter was $20.00.
Old 02-28-12, 05:58 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

When I saw $116 for 20k miles I thought "Wow, that is cheap. My dealer quoted me $182 and I live in the midwest". That is what they charge you for just the oil change and tire rotations.

I buy oil and oil filter from http://lexus.sewellparts.com using the Lexus Pursuit Credits card points and do the service myself. It actually costs me $0 (since you can't use the points anywhere else). I document my works thru https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-12, 06:43 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

It just shows that folks have numerous options to shop around for realistic prices for oil and filter prices (for DIY), and for dealers who will perform the work at reasonable prices (e.g., Toyota dealers or reputable auto service centers); and especially for such work as oil changes and tire rotations (this work is not "rocket science" type work). I prefer to save at least $ 100 for such services and use it towards recreation, etc.
Old 02-28-12, 07:41 AM
zmanou812
Driver School Candidate

To answer Kitlz & JimH2
I do remember initialing a bunch of stuff b/4 hand, even stuff stateing my loaner had no dings or damage before I even saw it !
I knew it was going to be more than DIY cost but I just thought when they quoted a bloated service charge
it included parts , Live and learn.
I wonder when then advertise $19.99 for a oil change do they then add cost of oil & Filter to that charge too ?
When I go back for the 30,000 mi check I'll ask more questions.
The fun I had with the IS250 AWD they lent me during the service makes the cost almost worth it !
I drove the tires off this thing and my travel brought me to Gravel ( as they say) to try out that AWD system, Pretty cool day when you factor in the loaner car ride.

P.S. GGRAVANT, You paid $20.00 for a filter, W O W, Did you get a case ? or buy it at the Lexus Stealer?
Old 02-28-12, 07:46 AM
ggravant
Driver

To answer Kitlz & JimH2
I do remember initialing a bunch of stuff b/4 hand, even stuff stateing my loaner had no dings or damage before I even saw it !
I knew it was going to be more than DIY cost but I just thought when they quoted a bloated service charge
it included parts , Live and learn.
I wonder when then advertise $19.99 for a oil change do they then add cost of oil & Filter to that charge too ?
When I go back for the 30,000 mi check I'll ask more questions.
The fun I had with the IS250 AWD they lent me during the service makes the cost almost worth it !
I drove the tires off this thing and my travel brought me to Gravel ( as they say) to try out that AWD system, Pretty cool day when you factor in the loaner car ride.

P.S. GGRAVANT, You paid $20.00 for a filter, W O W, Did you get a case ? or buy it at the Lexus Stealer?
It is a Mobil 1 filter - not a Toyota, or Fram, etc, and they usually are more expensive. They do seem to work well for me, so the few extra $$ is OK, especially with the 10K mile intervals.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_Filters.aspx
Old 02-28-12, 03:52 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if having your service done at a Toyota dealership for service or if it's recorded w/Lexus,
but in December when I traded my 2000 RX 300, my Lexus dealer said I could of gotten more on a trade if there was a maintenance record, I do my own oil/filter change.

Quick Reply: ROUTINE Service advice