RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to show speed limit on NAV screen...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 10:36 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was configuring a new 2013 GS the other day, I noticed that the NAV option was something like $1,750. Way down from the $2,400 on the RX. Plus it is a better system. I wonder if Lexus will be reducing the NAV cost on the 2013 RX. At any rate, $2,400 NAV systems are a very poor value. But, I would not get a Lexus without one. Hopefully, the price of the GS NAV system is a indication that price are coming down. If you want the speed limits, just use a secondary GPS system, smartphone or tablet.
Old 02-28-12, 05:50 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I love the way the Lexus OEM Navi integrated with everything in the car. Yes, it does have some cons and $2400 pricetag is little much. However, I will never buy a new Lexus without the OEM Navi.
Old 01-18-14, 06:36 PM
txjeff
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi., New to the forum. I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd offer my experiences.

I have a 2010 Lexus IS 350C that I just bought a couple of weeks ago used and I have a Garmin Nuvi that is a couple of years old.

The Garmin is pretty good although it does have it's shortcomings. It is rated very high with it's map algorithms. I tried a Magellan and it was simply terrible and I returned it. Generally, it will get you where you want to go, but even with current maps, it gets pretty behind in it's information and like most nav units, it rarely will choose the better route. In fact, I usually figure out the best route and then teach the Garmin with a Trip Planner the best way to go. Kind of stupid. But, it will get you to your location, even if it's not the most friendly route, and that's good, especially in strange areas. And, I do like the fact that it shows the speed limit. But, I'd say it's typically about 50% accurate with those values as cities change speed limits pretty often. But it can be very helpful driving at night. Even if it's wrong, you can predict the speed limit after awhile just by the change on the screen. It also displays how fast you are driving, which I really like to confirm that my speedometer is set correctly with the cruise control. I had one car with a digital speedometer and that was much better feedback and brought a level of comfort that analog gauges don't give due to parallax.

To compare to the Lexus, I am pretty disappointed so far, and most reviews I find of it are similar with complaints. I haven't figured out yet if the map can be updated. But I simply don't like that it doesn't display the speed limits or the speed I'm driving.

Also, so far, on a route I take every week, it was simply totally off. It wanted to take me an hour off course to my destination. ??? Terrible. And as it would correct itself during the trip, the arrival time never adjusted correctly and was an hour late! Terrible again. Then there's the common complaint that you can't punch in any destination input while your moving. And there's no way to override it. But, ironically, it will let you do all kinds of other things while driving, so what's the point? I tried to type in multiple addresses and none are in the map. So the map is definitely way old. And by default, the screen always goes back to the Nav even though I'd rather stay on some other screen. So, like the Garmin, the only way I can make this usable is to program the route in advance manually. So what's the point?

And luckily I bought the car used so I wouldn't get slammed with what I heard is an outrageous rip off price for the Nav system by Lexus. Like $4000 option? What? The Garmin was like $129 and truly it is a better product. I would gladly rip out the one that's in there if I could install the Garmin in it's place.

That's my two cents. Sorry to those who like it.

Last edited by txjeff; 01-18-14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 07:02 PM
wase4711
Rookie

agreed; the Lexus nav is WAY overpriced for what you get...I had it on 3 previous Lexus and decided to save 2400 bucks this time and spend it on something else..
Old 01-18-14, 09:47 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wase4711
agreed; the Lexus nav is WAY overpriced for what you get...I had it on 3 previous Lexus and decided to save 2400 bucks this time and spend it on something else..
You do get much of that money back if you trade in a few years, but I too miss my Tom Tom that always told my TRUE speed and POSTED speed; warned me to slow at schools and construction; it is a sad thing that Premium car systems are so inferior and for a couple of
hundred bucks you can get one many times better with lifetime updates!!
Old 01-18-14, 10:06 PM
txjeff
Driver

Originally Posted by dctex99
You do get much of that money back if you trade in a few years, but I too miss my Tom Tom that always told my TRUE speed and POSTED speed; warned me to slow at schools and construction; it is a sad thing that Premium car systems are so inferior and for a couple of
Well, after reading another thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-resolved.html, wow, so many issues with the Nav. Read it only if you want to bite your lip.

I will probably bring my Garmin in both my vehicles. I wonder if I can set the default screen not to be the Navigation? It seems to want to bounce back to that from other screens. I wonder if I can just shut the Nav off completely and put it on other screens? That would probably be my choice.
Old 01-19-14, 02:44 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Could the Lexus Nav have a posted speed limit onscreen with a update? Maybe Lexus could/would do this if enough interest is shown by consumers
Old 01-19-14, 02:55 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilli
Not so fast. I don't know about your state, but in Maryland, all money from all moving violations goes to the State, and the locals get nothing. There is a formula based on size of the local department that is supposed to return some money to the local jurisdiction, but given the fiscal difficulties faced by the State of Maryland, they have cut the amount returned to local governments. So, the more tickets you write, the higher your costs, but the lower the reimbursement. Not an incentive to write tickets. The incentive that is there is to make your roads safer.
The other part of the equation is that we now have speed cameras, which generate tickets for anyone going more than 12 mph over the limit.
brwilli
Do you seriously believe what you posted? The incentive of writing speeding tickets is to make the roads safer lmao. Then they installed speed cameras to catch speeders
We could debate this all day but most of us know that speeding tickets are the cash cow for goverment
Old 01-19-14, 04:39 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by dctex99
it wasnt so long ago, that all you could get in a new car was an upgraded fm radio; car mfgs. have to concentrate more on the major components of a vehicle,(chasis, electrical, drivetrain, etc) and dont dedicate tremendous resources to the "comfort" components as we would like them to. Some mfgs do more than others, but putting a high end nav system in our vehicles will never be a top priority for them.
Its a million times better than it was 25 years ago, just not as good as some of us would like it to be!
Old 01-19-14, 06:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wish I had a point of reference for some of these discussions, but I've not had a Garmin and probably never will. I don't like things stuck on my dash or windshield and even if I mount a GoPro I try to get it behind the mirror as much as possible. I have iPhones and an iPad, yet don't stick them on the dash or windshield. Unlike the Garmins, their native map applications do not display posted or traveling speed anyway.

The navigation system has become the infotainment system of which GPS is just a component. I would not own a car without an infotainment system, although I believe distracted driving is a problem for safety on the roads. So it's a bit contradictive that I wish I weren't locked out of so many functions of the infotainment system while the car is in motion.

I use destination assist and eDestination frequently. Sometimes just to get the phone number. Estimated time of arrival, at least for me, is accurate within a few minutes. Of the nearly 100,000 miles I've driven in a third generation RX, I've found most, if not all, of my desired destinations and usually on a route that makes sense.

What makes it for me is that remote touch controller. Between the steering wheel controls and the remote touch I can just about control everything without leaning forward and pushing some button, turning some ****, punching some touch screen or grabbing a Garmin out of it's dashboard cradle. If voice command worked as well as SIRI, the infotainment system would be near perfect, at least for me.

Although I must admit, with all the GPS updates I've had done, I could have been the proud owner of several Garmins.....

Last edited by DunWkg; 01-19-14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-19-14, 08:40 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo
I like the OEM navigation when you use it with the HUD
Navigation in HUD screen very useful safety feature, glad it have it.....
Old 01-19-14, 10:14 AM
txjeff
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I wish I had a point of reference for some of these discussions, but I've not had a Garmin and probably never will. I don't like things stuck on my dash or windshield and even if I mount a GoPro I try to get it behind the mirror as much as possible. I have iPhones and an iPad, yet don't stick them on the dash or windshield. Unlike the Garmins, their native map applications do not display posted or traveling speed anyway.

The navigation system has become the infotainment system of which GPS is just a component. I would not own a car without an infotainment system, although I believe distracted driving is a problem for safety on the roads. So it's a bit contradictive that I wish I weren't locked out of so many functions of the infotainment system while the car is in motion.

I use destination assist and eDestination frequently. Sometimes just to get the phone number. Estimated time of arrival, at least for me, is accurate within a few minutes. Of the nearly 100,000 miles I've driven in a third generation RX, I've found most, if not all, of my desired destinations and usually on a route that makes sense.

What makes it for me is that remote touch controller. Between the steering wheel controls and the remote touch I can just about control everything without leaning forward and pushing some button, turning some ****, punching some touch screen or grabbing a Garmin out of it's dashboard cradle. If voice command worked as well as SIRI, the infotainment system would be near perfect, at least for me.

Although I must admit, with all the GPS updates I've had done, I could have been the proud owner of several Garmins.....
Good comments. I can tell you it didn't take me long at all to get used to the Garmin stuck under the mirror. It really didn't become an obstruction in any way and it's Heads Up display, rather than looking down at a NAV. The Garmin does display the speed limits and the speed I'm driving. (Nuvi model that is.) But, like I said, they don't update that database as frequently as cities change there speed limits. But knowing that it is changing, or slowing can be a ticket saver. If you loose attention of the speed limit sign just for a second and pass it by, you may not see another one for miles. So it's in that case that the Garmin shows a change that makes you aware that you need to slow down. (Ok, typically I do 5 miles over the speed limit, except in small towns where it is ticket central, and I would never speed.)

I will have to read the manual to see about the buttons on the steering wheel controlling Nav things. That's another thing that makes me a bit nuts. My Dodge Magnum has big buttons on the steering wheel but the Lexus is so tiny, and I don't have big fingers like some people, but even so, it is easy to hit the wrong thing. But that is partly because the steering wheel itself is so much smaller. Oh well. You take the good with the not so good I guess. All cars have their good and bad points.