RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Third Party Quirk

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 06:54 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Third Party Quirk

Sometimes I forget to remove the key fob from my pocket when I wash the RX and the doors will lock and unlock while the car is beeping away.

Today, I was polishing out some fingernail scratches on the driver's door cup and handle and the dash lights and radio came on and the car started.

I opened the door and the engine stopped. I had remote started the car. This car does not have a factory remote start, but has a third party installed Drone Mobile. My previous RX had a factory installed remote start and a third party installed Viper Smart Start. I don't think the Viper ever started the car using a door handle. InRBigness have you seen this?

I'm not sure this is a bad thing or not or what could be a downside. Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-12, 08:06 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you have hit the remote start button on the remote by accident?
Old 02-23-12, 10:34 PM
DunWkg
Racer

There is no remote start button. Remote starting of the Drone is normally done via a smartphone. The installer has done something wrong(?).

You do bring up a valid point. Does installing the Drone allow remote starting just like the factory remote and locking a door three times starts the engine. Or as you indicate, pushing the lock button on the fob three times.

Time to experiment.
Old 02-24-12, 04:34 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Give the fatory remote start a try. Push lock threetimes holding on the third. If the parking lights start to blink keep holding. It takes a few seconds for the engine to turn over
Old 02-24-12, 07:28 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not seen that at all DunWkg. When I wash the car it does blink on and off like it has Turretts Syndrome though. I just attributed that to the water on the sensor in the door handle.

It should not start without you using the start command though, this I am sure of. Let us know what happens when you play around with the factory remote.
Old 02-25-12, 07:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Ya'll be right. The OEM fob does remote start. However, when I was polishing the driver's handle I was sitting on a stool. I got up and walked to the passenger's door and was standing and started the car. Possible but unlikely I was pushing the lock button on the fob both times.

Not sure when I'll wash again to test this door handle remote starting quirk.
Old 03-23-12, 01:57 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Sorry so long to put some closure on this issue. Background: I did not get the remote starter option from Lexus, it was added by a third party using a Drone Mobile system. However, the car does remote start using the OEM fob. I think I "remote started" the car using a door handle while washing the car.

Today I had the fob wrapped in some dollar bills to make it difficult to accidentally push a button on the fob while it was in my pocket. Next I gave the car a complete bath and pushed around on the lock indents and put my hand within the handle to unlock. We're all familiar with the beeping, locking and unlocking while washing the car with the fob in our pockets. With a couple of practice efforts, I was able to start the car using the door handles. Timing is key to getting it to start. You need to simulate the push. push, hold on the handle like when using the fob.

I don't, after thinking about it, believe this is an issue for concern. As the doors are locked before the car starts and opening the door stops the engine. Just an FYI and closure for this discussion. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 03-25-12, 06:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

David, I tried to remote start my RX based on what you wrote above. I could only manage two locks after several attempts. OE remote start is three locks and hold. If it is possible to start the RX with the OE remote start the way you did, it should only stay on for 10 minutes before shutting off.
Old 03-25-12, 07:01 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Anita, not sure of how this is all wired together or what communicates to what, but the OEM fob triggers the Drone remote starter in the same fashion as an OEM fob triggers an OEM remote starter. (Had the OEM remote starter on my last RX, so familiar with OEM) so, yes when trying to remote start using the door handle, your "tickling" the handle involves somehow simulating lock,lock, lock hold. You got throw in an unlock to start another lock,lock, lock hold if need be. It's the hold that is the key, because normally the hold is meaningless on the handle.

And yes the default OEM remote start runtime is 10 minutes. The Drone remote start runtime is set at 25 minutes. However, both OEM and Drone runtimes are ended when you open the driver's door.

I did this by accident the first time, but can replicate it anytime the car is wet and the fob is within range. It does take multiple attempts.