RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lousy fuel economy Not close to EPA Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 11:12 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davrober
Well we don't let it warm up. Start it and drive it. Tires are right on the pressure too. My wife says I drive like Fred MacMurry. I don't do jack rabbit starts and I don't I drive her crazy when I drove because Ill see a red light down the road and either use tranny braking or the brakes to make sure I don't have to stop when I get there. Of course sometimes you do hit a stop but this is no where near City out here. Seems to me if your going to put a sticker on your window that says City 18 mpg then thats what it should be . REal city conditions. I know its an epa sticker but as a manufacturer if you know its a fantasy you should either put a disclaimer on it or have the epa change it. I sold Pontiac's many years ago. We had no sticker and they got about 10 mpg, but gas was 35 cents a gallon too not $4.00 which is another rip off. AT 4% avg. inflation for 40 years that would make it $1.68 gallon . We aren't even at 4% avg. inflation last 40 years.Aside from the poor MPG its a great vehicle. I talked to the manager at the showroom . He lives near me and he gets 17-18 out here and one of the service writers here gets 19 with his. 15.5-17 is not acceptable to me. JMHO
In winter the car runs richer and burns more gas due to the ethanol in it.....

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-15-13 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 11:49 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2011 rx 350 is getting 15.5-16 or so local driving. The sticker says 18 city driving. I live in Mt Sinai Long Island which is part rural and part suburban . I feel I should be getting at least 18 around here since this is by no means a city area. The car now has over 9000 miles on it. On a long trip on the interstate we averaged around 24 in mountain and 26 on flat so that was right on but around here which is nowhere near city it just stinks . Is there any fix for this or am I the only person complaining about this??? Id like to have the EPA look at this if it's happening to everyone. Thanks
While the EPA ratings are 18/24, if you view the window sticker which came on your RX there is a range of acceptable values for MPG listed underneath the big print numbers. The low end may be as low as 14 MPG. Take a look if you still have it. Should look similar to this:

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46642492.jpg

With the cold temperatures causing your RX to run richer while the engine takes longer to warm and with the current winter fuel blend, seeing low MPG numbers this time of year is not abnormal. Normally, these improve with the warmer weather and refineries switching to regular blends of gas.

Are you running 91 octane or better fuel as mentioned in the Owner's Manual? Using a lower octane fuel than your RX wants could also help explain the lower numbers.

How are you calculating your MPG? Are you going by the onboard computer or are you calculating MPG by miles traveled divided by fuel used? The onboard computer is not completely accurate, IMO, so would go with the latter if you are not already doing it that way.

Finally, have you tried a different brand of gas in your RX? I have long noticed that certain vehicles prefer or dislike various brands of fuels and their additives. For example, I have owned some vehicles which ran best and gave me the best MPG with Brand X while other vehicles got poor MPG with the same brand.
Old 02-16-13, 06:44 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gas mileage is pretty average for this size of SUV. The 450h is really the way to go if you do alot of city driving as you'll effectively pay the price premium off much faster as a result of fuel savings. We average around 19 with our city/highway mix
Old 02-16-13, 06:26 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Took a trip from about 2000 ft elevation to 8000 over 250 miles. Outside temps in the 20's F. Cargo carrier on top, 80 mph (speed limit in parts of utah). Got 16 mpg avg freeway all the way. Normally we get about 21 mpg on freeway, so all the conditions described are definitely anti-mpg friendly. EPA estimates are just that...estimates, and under specified conditions. 2010 rx350 70k miles.
Old 02-17-13, 05:01 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

davrober,

Is your wife talking about Fred MacMurray driving in "Double Indemnity" or "Flubber?"
Old 02-18-13, 12:30 PM
davrober
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More like my 3 sons Fred
Old 02-18-13, 12:33 PM
davrober
Rookie

Angry truth in stickers.

sticker is sticker. If you get 18 city in my area you should be 20. Either change the definitions so there is no misrepresentation or get it right. This is why Nissan and that other company got sued and lost because of misrepresentation on the sticker, I think it is time the govt checked toyota and Lexus for false milage claims
Old 02-18-13, 02:12 PM
ecr72
Driver

sticker is sticker. If you get 18 city in my area you should be 20. Either change the definitions so there is no misrepresentation or get it right. This is why Nissan and that other company got sued and lost because of misrepresentation on the sticker, I think it is time the govt checked toyota and Lexus for false milage claims
"Nissan and that other company" Care to elaborate? I'm curious about the lawsuit but searching only came up with a couple aimed at the Honda Civic Hybrid, Hyundai Elantra and Ford C-Max. What vehicle(s) were in these lawsuits you're referring? I have a Nissan so I'm a bit curious.

As for window stickers not matching the real world, the stickers are much better than they used to be. In the past you could never expect to get what the sticker claims. Now, it's a lot closer. Many can achieve what manufacturers claim. My old Jetta TDI said 42 city, 50 highway and I got a consistent 45 in mixed driving and I drove the heck out of it, no babying. The Altima Hybrid I'm driving now stickers at 35 city, 33 highway. I get 33-34. My wife used to get around 29 in it. She's driving the RX 350 and getting around 17. I know I'd do better with my commute and driving style. She's on the throttle much more than she needs to be.
Old 02-19-13, 08:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The RX uses port injection, which is not as efficient as direct injection so widely deployed by other manufacturers.
However, pure direct injection has serious issues (depending on mfg and engine) with carbon build-up.
Therefore, you may be paying more at the pump, but your car does not require expensive maintenance to clean the carbon build-up or rebuilding the engine if it is severe.
So it may cost more to pay for gas, but it is worth it in the long run.
It is not outrageous by any means, especially considering the size and weight of the vehicle.

As far as EPA numbers are concerned - they are there for comparative shopping. It is just a metric.
Old 02-20-13, 07:13 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

The numbers on the sticker are provided by the EPA, not the manufacturer. The government changed the way they estimate mileage a few years ago but anyone who thinks that the government or anyone else can estimate mileage correctly is kidding themselves. Everyone has a different way of driving so there will be variations in mileage figures. I get 15 max round town and 22 on highway but I drive fast.

The thing that really gets me is that people on this forum spent 42-48k for a vehicle and are worried about mileage? This is a luxury vehicle not an economy car! I would expect a thread like this on a Toyota or Honda forum. If 2 mpg makes a difference then you should be driving a prius!
Old 02-20-13, 08:02 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

How Vehicles Are Tested

Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.
Old 02-20-13, 11:34 PM
ecr72
Driver

Originally Posted by bextreme1
Quote:
The thing that really gets me is that people on this forum spent 42-48k for a vehicle and are worried about mileage? This is a luxury vehicle not an economy car! I would expect a thread like this on a Toyota or Honda forum. If 2 mpg makes a difference then you should be driving a prius!
I don't mind the discussion in general since MPG can indicate problems with the car, so keeping track is a good idea. However, you are right. To get all hung up over a couple MPG variance from the sticker is childish when you just spent so much on the vehicle. That would be like buying a 4000 sq ft house and running around turning off lights like an crazy old man to save a couple bucks a month.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-21-13, 07:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The numbers on the sticker are provided by the EPA, not the manufacturer. The government changed the way they estimate mileage a few years ago but anyone who thinks that the government or anyone else can estimate mileage correctly is kidding themselves. Everyone has a different way of driving so there will be variations in mileage figures. I get 15 max round town and 22 on highway but I drive fast.

Actually, the government only tests a fraction of vehicles. The manufacturers follow EPA instructions to calculate the numbers. It is an honor system. But, if you mess up, there will be fines to pay. Hyundai was just fined $100 mil/year in payouts to their customers for being dishonest about the numbers.

I actually paid $55K for my RX and and the [realistic] mileage is a factor for me. Funny you should mention it, but we traded-in a Prius.
Old 02-25-13, 11:07 AM
davrober
Rookie

Unhappy

So since we are paying 50k for an automobile then we shouldn't be concerned about misrepresentation and incorrect marketing statements. I dont know about you but here on LI where we pay upwards of $4.00 for regular gas it is a part of buying a car whether it is luxery or not. We do compare these things and if it comes down to all things being equal it can very well determine which car you buy. I just don't like being lied to by the Gov't or the company. I have since talked to several folks that work for Lexus and they know very well these City diving figures are way out of whack. The sales manager at my dealership drives a RX350 himself and even he says its dissapointing but he doesn't have to pay for the car and his gas is free anyway but at least he was honest.

Old 02-25-13, 05:17 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

So since we are paying 50k for an automobile then we shouldn't be concerned about misrepresentation and incorrect marketing statements. I dont know about you but here on LI where we pay upwards of $4.00 for regular gas it is a part of buying a car whether it is luxery or not. We do compare these things and if it comes down to all things being equal it can very well determine which car you buy. I just don't like being lied to by the Gov't or the company. I have since talked to several folks that work for Lexus and they know very well these City diving figures are way out of whack. The sales manager at my dealership drives a RX350 himself and even he says its dissapointing but he doesn't have to pay for the car and his gas is free anyway but at least he was honest.
In case you haven't been around for the last 30 or so years, almost no EPA sticker on a car has been right. Even the government admits this. It's been reported by news organizations for a long time. A few years ago the Prius was found to be off by almost 10 mpg! I live in NY also and I know the prices. Misrepresentation is one thing, which I agree with you on but people buying luxury cars are not usually concerned about gas mileage unless they are stretching their budget to get one. IMO, if someone is concerned about mileage, there are plenty of cars that get great mileage and are solid cars. The OP in this thread was concerned about the sticker being off by 2 mpg. It's almost impossible for everyone to get the same mileage as everyone drives differently. I get 14-15 city and never over 22 on the highway. That's because I drive fast. Others get a lot more mpg than I do.