RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What's Your Opinion of 2012 RX's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-12, 09:13 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I did a ton of research on different vehicles for almost a year including lurking here at some BMW and Audi and Benz sites before I made my decision.
Same here. Im trading in my Audi A4 and pick up the latest generation RX350 next Saturday.

The BMW X5 had reliability issues, and after talking to a BMW service manager, it also turns out to have high running costs. I wouldn't personally go near the M class of Mercedes - too many horror stories from friends who have owned the model and from my research (reliability studies etc) THe same goes for the Range Rover Sport - high servicing costs and very patchy reliability.

In the past, we've owned a Lexus ES300 and it was a great car, if a little underpowered. Certainly no issues with servicing, build quality or overall reliability though.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 01-20-12, 10:18 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^Welcome to the RX fam. As for the Mercedes' reliability, you're not the first to complain.
Old 01-21-12, 01:20 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish

The Mercedes will require more attention, than the Lexus. And, not in a good way. Not to mention, they aren't as smooth, or at least not in my experience.
Originally Posted by ScottosAU

I wouldn't personally go near the M class of Mercedes - too many horror stories from friends who have owned the model and from my research (reliability studies etc)

Scott.
Originally Posted by happy1977
As for the Mercedes' reliability, you're not the first to complain.

And to think I was inches away from trading my 11 yr. old RX300 for a M Class.
It was the base price that turn me off the most.
Loved the style.
Old 01-21-12, 03:01 PM
NC244GLT
Driver School Candidate

We just picked up my wife's new '12 RX350 AWD yesterday and we are pretty pleased so far! We traded our GX460 that we bought in April of '11 (Premium w/ RES) and the ride, interior quietness and handling are so much better. The RX tracks perfectly on the highway and requires little effort to move off the line and even keeps the eco light on without really trying.

We drove both an RX350 and a 450H for a couple of days before our switch (both FWD) and really liked them. The AWD RX is even better, as there is no front tire slip and traction control intervention when turning and accelerating in the rain from a stop. The truck also has a little more length in the cargo area, as my wife's road bike fits better inside with the seats down.

We also have the 12 speaker stereo (mid-level?) and it sounds better IMHO than the ML in the GX. We wanted to get the luxury pkg and ML, but there were none available in our color choice.

She's happy, i enjoy driving it much better and our gas mileage will be slightly higher...hopefully 4-5 mpg...lol!

Edit - We went with the gas truck due to our high annual mileage, 26-30k, and my small paranoia about having a 150k hybrid in 5 years, plus it would be about 8.5 years to offset the price difference with gas savings.

Last edited by NC244GLT; 01-21-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 11:26 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't have the 2012 model, I only have the 2010 model, so i can't comment anything further. However, i wish i can cook , sleep, eat, shower.... inside my 2010 RX350 ;-)
Old 01-25-12, 11:50 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
However, i wish i can cook , sleep, eat, shower.... inside my 2010 RX350 ;-)
Maybe if the prices keep going up, than could be arranged in future models.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-25-12 at 07:16 PM. Reason: let's leave that to the imagination please.
Old 01-27-12, 07:22 PM
grt62
Driver School Candidate

I purchased my 450h on 4/1/11. It will be making its third trip from NY to FL next week. It's spacious, comfortable and a pleasure to drive long distances with. Performance is very good as well. The part time AWD has worked very well this winter, which was a concern I had had coming from full time AWD. The only area it has fallen short has been with MPG. I average 22-23 around town and 25-26 on the highway. I realize I have an '11, but hope this info is helpful...
Old 01-30-12, 11:07 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I also have a (late) 2010 RX, but I'm pretty sure there is very little (if any) difference beyond minor trim and such.

We have had several different "SUVs", but the RX is far and away my favorite. I especially like the way it drives at highway speed and the fit and finish is what pointed me away from an MDX. I really tried to buy a German SUV, but I wasn't really looking for what they all seem to think we need in an SUV. If I was going to go do track laps somewhere I might be more interested in what they consider their strengths, but this is an everyday car. We take it on vacation, put plants in the back, and carry our dog. I've never even thought about racing! I'm far more interested in day to day usefulness. The attention Lexus pays to the passenger compartment makes all the difference in the world to me. In this regard, the Germans simply don't compete even though they cost much more.

In fact I like our RX so much, I just got an IS350 for me to drive! Both are truly terrific cars that are comfortable and drive beautifully. Sure, there are things I would like to change, but they're all pretty minor, and don't change how much I like the car. Besides, I'm hoping they'll all be addressed in our next RX. I KNOW it's coming!
Old 01-30-12, 02:24 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
....In fact I like our RX so much, I just got an IS350 for me to drive! Both are truly terrific cars that are comfortable and drive beautifully. Sure, there are things I would like to change, but they're all pretty minor, and don't change how much I like the car. Besides, I'm hoping they'll all be addressed in our next RX. I KNOW it's coming!
I love it so much I got one for myself. A red 350 AWD for her and a black 450h AWD for me.
Old 01-30-12, 03:43 PM
pdwholesal
Driver School Candidate

Default rx 2011

Originally Posted by gffounder
It would be very helpful to hear grass-roots owner opinions of the 2012 RX's.

We're most likely upgrading from our tried & true ES350 to an RX??? 2012 in February.

Thanks for your time and input!
This is my fourth RX I have a 2012 now. I like it, but if you'r going to buy one in Feb. you might want to wait until the end of May and get a 2013.
Old 01-30-12, 04:17 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I also have a (late) 2010 RX, but I'm pretty sure there is very little (if any) difference beyond minor trim and such.

We have had several different "SUVs", but the RX is far and away my favorite. I especially like the way it drives at highway speed and the fit and finish is what pointed me away from an MDX. I really tried to buy a German SUV, but I wasn't really looking for what they all seem to think we need in an SUV. If I was going to go do track laps somewhere I might be more interested in what they consider their strengths, but this is an everyday car. We take it on vacation, put plants in the back, and carry our dog. I've never even thought about racing! I'm far more interested in day to day usefulness. The attention Lexus pays to the passenger compartment makes all the difference in the world to me. In this regard, the Germans simply don't compete even though they cost much more.

In fact I like our RX so much, I just got an IS350 for me to drive! Both are truly terrific cars that are comfortable and drive beautifully. Sure, there are things I would like to change, but they're all pretty minor, and don't change how much I like the car. Besides, I'm hoping they'll all be addressed in our next RX. I KNOW it's coming!
I just recently drove an IS350 loaner, was kinda dissapointed on it's rough ride and that tumor thing underneath your leg. Other than that, car is cool.
Old 01-30-12, 04:19 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdwholesal
This is my fourth RX I have a 2012 now. I like it, but if you'r going to buy one in Feb. you might want to wait until the end of May and get a 2013.
As the 2012's were only available in late October I doubt the 2013's will be out in May. I could not even order my 2012 until the 28th of September. With the new GS coming out I am sure the RX will be one of the last released as its not scheduled for a major refit.
Old 01-31-12, 10:46 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
I just recently drove an IS350 loaner, was kinda dissapointed on it's rough ride and that tumor thing underneath your leg. Other than that, car is cool.

My previous car was a MINI Cooper S. I loved it, but that car had a firm suspension! The IS ride is a huge improvement! The IS is more "sport" oriented than an RX, and the ride should be expected to be a bit more firm, I would think. The tumor thing is (I believe) only on the AWD version, which I have. I honestly didn't even notice it until the first time I vacuumed the car! My leg goes right over the top of it, so it doesn't bother me at all. Now that I've seen it though, it's pretty funny looking! Did you look at the back seat leg room?

That said, the purpose of the RX is different. I think it is supposed to be more luxury oriented, and geared toward comfort, ride quality, and utility. In that regard, I think it succeeds wonderfully and would recommend it to anyone with those expectations!
Old 01-31-12, 12:29 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

That said, the purpose of the RX is different. I think it is supposed to be more luxury oriented, and geared toward comfort, ride quality, and utility. In that regard, I think it succeeds wonderfully and would recommend it to anyone with those expectations!
This is true.
And surprising that this mid-size SUV, the RX is the opposite of all the other SUV s that are manufactured
as a macho, tough, top heavy, 4-wheel drive go anywhere vehicle from 12-15 years ago.

Remember when many were made with truck frames?

Now finally after all those years, Ford, GM, and Chrysler is chasing Toyota/Lexus.
Old 02-03-12, 12:56 PM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

Well, here's another member of the I-traded-my-ES350-for-an-RX350 Club. The ES was my first Lexus, and I was impressed with just about everything, quality-wise; but I did have two substantial issues with it: (a) you simply can't see out the back of the darn thing and (b) the car seemed to wander around on the highway. At first I thought the problem was my senior citizen driving, but then I've read in two different car mags that the pros have the same problem. What a great change to drive the RX! It's MUCH better on the curves and twisties, it's superbly finished, the gadget factor is a 9.4, and it hollers "luxury" at you. My only negative is that I seem to occasionally doink my right knee against the steering column.

We also own an SRX Caddy, 2006, and it's another good SUV that the car books loved and Consumer Reports hated. It's fine, but, you know, when I drive it, I just feel like I'm driving a truck.You'll never have that feeling in the RX.

Quick Reply: What's Your Opinion of 2012 RX's?