RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 Venza vs RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 04:13 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at the Venza in 2009, before I decided on the RX350. The biggest issue for me, post-spinal surgery, was comfort.

The V6 with standard 20" wheels on the Venza was a HARSH ride. So I got the RX350, with the Sport package and 19" wheels. Much better compromise. :-)

And now that I'm commuting 100+ miles per day? VERY pleased that comfort was my Number One consideration...

Sandi
Old 01-10-12, 05:42 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark86
I agree that the Venza is the most similar Toyota model to the RX, but the build quality and materials are far superior in the RX ... Personally, I feel that the Venza looks more like a station wagon than an SUV.
You are correct to think that. That's because the Venza is built on the Gen6 Camry platform and is really more like a Camry station wagon than an SUV. In fact, in 2009 when the Venza first appeared on Toyota's website, it was listed under the "Car & Minivan" tab instead of the "Crossover & SUV" tab.
Old 01-10-12, 11:23 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pattern they used on the interior in the Vienza turned us away pretty quick.
Old 01-11-12, 07:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i think most people who are torn between a Toyota and a Lexus commonly compare the Highlander vs the RX350.
i for one, never consdered the Venza when we purchased the RX.
Old 01-11-12, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the previous highlander was in the same class as the RX but ever since the new one, toyota made the highlander larger with a third row seat and then inserted the venza below it. That is why people now compare the venza with the RX
Old 01-11-12, 12:33 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The new Highlander Limited Hybrid is a pretty nice car but when equipped with the bells and whistles is approaching the price of the RX 450h. It's larger but still doesn't offer features like HID lights or the Remote Touch for the radio.

But it does still have a full size spare !!!

Originally Posted by RXSF
the previous highlander was in the same class as the RX but ever since the new one, toyota made the highlander larger with a third row seat and then inserted the venza below it. That is why people now compare the venza with the RX
Old 01-11-12, 01:08 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The new Highlander Limited Hybrid is a pretty nice car but when equipped with the bells and whistles is approaching the price of the RX 450h. It's larger but still doesn't offer features like HID lights or the Remote Touch for the radio.

But it does still have a full size spare !!!

That is exactly right. I priced out a top end Highlander Hybrid and it came to 62K. For 9K more I got the Lexus 450H with rear seat entertainment, radar cruise, LED headlights, way better leather and fit and finish plus much more. It was a no brainer for me. I was at the toyota dealership yesterday as my sister is thinking Prius V and I was in a Highlander and a venza and they just seemed cheap by comparison.
Old 01-11-12, 02:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I drove the Forerunner before the RX300 back in 1998. There really wasn't anything out there back then. It was a no brainer to go with the RX at virtually the same price. Plus I didn't like that handle sticking out of the passenger side dash area of the Forerunner, LOL!
Old 01-11-12, 05:42 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
the previous highlander was in the same class as the RX but ever since the new one, toyota made the highlander larger with a third row seat and then inserted the venza below it.

Anyone look at those vehicles offering those third row seating, Highland, Ford Explorer, Buick Enclave?

Now there's a joke.

I would be embarrassed to expect any adult to seat back there, kids maybe.
Old 01-12-12, 02:49 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the Venza before I purchased my Lexus RX and Subaru Outback Limited. I thought it was a very nice vehicle with one glaring flaw. The ride was very noisy on the freeway. I found myself raising my voice to talk with people in the second row. This was a known problem with the vehicle and hopefully Toyota has addressed it by now. Noise was a show stopper for me and I picked up the Outback.

All vehicles have a niche where they are at their best. The Venza excels at providing comfortable and pretty economical transportation. It seemed like a really nice family vehicle (except for the noisy ride flaw, but hopefully that is fixed by now). I use my Outback in situations where I do not want to worry about wear/damage to my RX. I purchased the Outback a few months after I purchased the RX and it now has 2.5x more miles on it than the RX. I think that is a testament to the cars like the Venza and Outback which excel at fun activities. The Outback had a sticker just under $32k, I paid $28.4K. A little more than half the cost of the RX.
Old 01-12-12, 09:35 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was initially intrigued by the Venza when it first came out. I thought it was a nice looking vehicle on the exterior with nice looking lines. But I've never felt that the Third Gen RX and the Venza look anything alike.

When I saw the interior of the Venza, my intrigue started to cool, as I didn't like any of the dash layout above the shifter console. Couldn't stand that strange pattern design on the dash. Of course, finally, the deal killer was that there was no memory seats offered and no rain-sensing wipers. Although I do like the panoramic sunroof!

I'm also aware of complaints about the harsh ride with the 20's on the V6 Venza.
Old 01-13-12, 07:54 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Default RAV4 as well

If you create a comparison on this website: http://www.toyota.com/compare/?model...nza#h_overview you can see that the RX is somewhere between the Venza and the RAV4 in size and capacity. Each car uses the same 3.5L V6 but they are tuned to give one more hp in each of the Venza (268), RAV4 (269) and RX 350 (270). Once you see and drive the cars the RX is clearly the nicest in fit and finish and ride comfort. The final decision on which is best for you is based on your needs and budget.
Old 01-13-15, 05:04 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

I liked the venza. Wife likes the RX. The vehicle will be hers (i will drive it maybe 5-10% of the time). Got her the RX.
She is happy, which makes me happy. Happy Wife makes for a happy life.

Ken
Old 01-15-15, 09:44 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

We looked at the Venza and agree with many of the points above. The RX 350 has a MUCH better, ride, better interior, and we found the rear visibility on the Venza to be awful.

Furthermore, the price differential wasn't that great, the Venza we looked at was in the $37k range, the Lexus was $45k. Eight thousand bucks well spent.
Old 01-15-15, 02:17 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
We looked at the Venza and agree with many of the points above. The RX 350 has a MUCH better, ride, better interior, and we found the rear visibility on the Venza to be awful.

Furthermore, the price differential wasn't that great, the Venza we looked at was in the $37k range, the Lexus was $45k. Eight thousand bucks well spent.
You know you're a Lexus owner when $8k/22% is not a great price differential.

Quick Reply: 2012 Venza vs RX 350