RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

There Are Gremlins in My Stereo!

Old 01-10-12, 04:06 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There Are Gremlins in My Stereo!

There are gremlins in my stereo!

For the past 10 days, my radio randomly moves up one FM interval (from 97.3 to 97.5, for example) with no touching of the stereo or stereo buttons.

It also happens when playing on satellite channels - moves up one station (from Station 8 to Station 9, in Sirius for example).

Finally, it's happened on the AUX setting too - playing one song happily, and then, in the middle of it, forwarding to the next song in the queue. My husband has also experienced this when driving the car, so while I may be crazy, I'm at least accurate.

Any idea what's going on? Anyone else experienced this?

Sandi
Old 01-11-12, 07:05 AM
tbrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
There are gremlins in my stereo!

For the past 10 days, my radio randomly moves up one FM interval (from 97.3 to 97.5, for example) with no touching of the stereo or stereo buttons.

It also happens when playing on satellite channels - moves up one station (from Station 8 to Station 9, in Sirius for example).

Finally, it's happened on the AUX setting too - playing one song happily, and then, in the middle of it, forwarding to the next song in the queue. My husband has also experienced this when driving the car, so while I may be crazy, I'm at least accurate.

Any idea what's going on? Anyone else experienced this?

Sandi
I have been having the same problem. Though I was going crazy. Good to know someone else is having this problem.
Old 01-11-12, 09:52 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

What year is your RX350? And do you have the Mark Levinson stereo, or not?

Sandi
Old 01-11-12, 11:42 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

not unheard of....gremlins in Lexus stereos seem to be 1 in a million but possible. Usually the entire radio has to be changed out under warranty.
Old 01-11-12, 02:35 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio Problems

This is a known problem on the 3rd Generation RX. Search these forums and you will see numerous discussions about the stereo changing channels.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...yone-else.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...shuts-off.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...the-radio.html

Time to take it to the dealer.
Old 01-11-12, 10:09 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Wes, none of those threads are the same issues as mine. One was with CDs spitting out randomly, one was with the stereo turning off, and the other was with the Satellite channels "locking."

I do have an appt. on Friday with my dealer, and have already logged the issue - but my issue is demonstrably different. Wish me luck!

Sandi
Old 01-12-12, 12:43 AM
MC5Wes

Default Radio Problems

Yes, those were just some examples. If you look at a few months of this forum. You will see your radio problem.

My 2007 had a XM problems. Took it back and had it fixed.
Old 09-19-12, 05:06 PM
juliekoern
Driver School Candidate

So frustrated with my stereo issue...it will arbitrarily spit out a CD while I'm driving down the road...when I'm not even listening to a CD. It changes channels while I'm driving down the road every once in awhile when I take a sharp turn or go over a bump. (and NO, I'm not accidentally hitting the button on the steering column like the dealer insinuates). They've replaced my stereo twice over the past 2 years and I've got it back to the dealer right now. It's not the stereo guys...it's got to be something in the wiring or the steering column...or something else, but I can't imagine 3 stereos would all be bad. Since this issue didn't happen when the service technician drove the car today the dealer told me there was nothing they could do. So, basically I just need to deal with the embarrassment when I'm driving clients around and a CD suddenly spits out of the stereo. Has anyone had this issue been properly diagnosed and fixed.
Old 09-20-12, 06:20 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

My wife reported the same problem and I too witnessed the radio change from one station to another. It also changed from FM1 to SAT and again to AM all on its own. Took it to the dealer last Thursday and they replaced the radio no charge. My wife has at 2010 RX 350. Dealer said this problem has been reported before.
Old 09-24-12, 08:08 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juliekoern
So frustrated with my stereo issue...it will arbitrarily spit out a CD while I'm driving down the road...when I'm not even listening to a CD. It changes channels while I'm driving down the road every once in awhile when I take a sharp turn or go over a bump. (and NO, I'm not accidentally hitting the button on the steering column like the dealer insinuates). They've replaced my stereo twice over the past 2 years and I've got it back to the dealer right now. It's not the stereo guys...it's got to be something in the wiring or the steering column...or something else, but I can't imagine 3 stereos would all be bad. Since this issue didn't happen when the service technician drove the car today the dealer told me there was nothing they could do. So, basically I just need to deal with the embarrassment when I'm driving clients around and a CD suddenly spits out of the stereo. Has anyone had this issue been properly diagnosed and fixed.
I had the exact same issue on my 2010 RX. I had it fixed back in March of this year. The dealer replaced the radio unit in my case and that took care of it, it hasn't happened since. It was the strangest thing. I recorded it with my cell phone when it happened as I was waiting for the school bus with my kids. Once I showed the dealer the video they said it was the radio.
Old 09-26-12, 05:47 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Dealer replaced the radio unit. So far so good.
Old 10-04-12, 09:12 PM
Lawr
Driver School Candidate

Ditto, my 2010 was was doing the same thing. Took it to my dealer and at first they couldn't replicate the problem. They said next time record it on video. It was hard to do since it would happen randomly, but a few weeks ago it happened way more frequently. Caught it on video and took it to the dealer where they replaced the entire radio unit. Covered under CPO warranty.
Old 10-07-12, 01:34 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Wes, none of those threads are the same issues as mine. One was with CDs spitting out randomly, one was with the stereo turning off, and the other was with the Satellite channels "locking."

I do have an appt. on Friday with my dealer, and have already logged the issue - but my issue is demonstrably different. Wish me luck!

Sandi
So what happened?

Even though your situation is different, if the dealer can replicate the issue, I would say it needs a new radio..
Old 11-12-12, 12:02 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Eli, they claimed they couldn't replicate it, so no radio replacement for me.

They must have done *something*, though - reset or unplugged it? It's only done it once more since that complaint, and then never again.

Weird.
Old 05-30-14, 03:45 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine ejects CD intermittently especially when temperature is hot.

Can someone post the TSB or their work order? My SA wants to know the TSB he can apply to my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: There Are Gremlins in My Stereo!