RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

how not to lose key?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:59 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This would be the easiest for ALL of us.
implant it then forget it.
Old 01-14-12, 09:35 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all
how many keys you get with the RX?
In France, 3, i.e. 2 classic keys (remote) and 1 which is size and dimension of the credit/amex card which can be easily located in the portfolio where I have all my cards.
One of the 2 above in my bag and the other one at home.

Do not forget, when you drive away from home for hundreds of km/miles never forget to take a second key with you but not located in the same place.
Old 01-14-12, 01:13 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got two remotes and a credit card sized one I keep in my wallet. The wallet one is standard on the 450H and on the touring package and above in the RX350 here in Canada.
Old 01-16-12, 01:06 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Default your car

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I got two remotes and a credit card sized one I keep in my wallet. The wallet one is standard on the 450H and on the touring package and above in the RX350 here in Canada.
hi InRBigness
when I see your car description "Total LED change over, clear bra wrap, Prestige Auto Nav Mod and Viper Smart Start and body side moldings"; can you explain what you mean by
- Total LED change over,
- clear bra wrap,
- Prestige Auto Nav Mod
- Viper Smart Start
- body side moldings

Canada? where?
I am going to Montreal next week, I am in Reykjavik (Island) this week.
AL
Old 01-16-12, 04:12 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

I wish i have the credit card size key. Poor me
Old 01-16-12, 07:21 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alpy64
hi InRBigness
when I see your car description "Total LED change over, clear bra wrap, Prestige Auto Nav Mod and Viper Smart Start and body side moldings"; can you explain what you mean by
- Total LED change over,
- clear bra wrap,
- Prestige Auto Nav Mod
- Viper Smart Start
- body side moldings

Canada? where?
I am going to Montreal next week, I am in Reykjavik (Island) this week.
AL
-I changed all the interior lights, the lights in the doors, mirrors, cargo area and under the dash with LED bulbs. They give a much brighter and whiter light inside the car. I have had several comments on them already. When you explain how easy it was the reaction is typically: Wow I could do that.

- The Clear Bra or paint protection is a plastic film that is applied over the paint to protect from stone chips and such. Many here have done it and it does work. I went with a total wrap of the fenders, bumpers and hood because I did not want the seam to show. The standard installation involves approx. 16" up the hood.

-The Prestige Auto navigation mod is probably at this point my favorite mod. It fools the cars gps into thinking the car is stopped. This allows you (or more likely your passenger) to use the locked out menu's in the radio, settings and nav system while you are moving. It was very simple to install and works seamlessly. To activate you use the volume button on the steering wheel, make your change then turn back off the same way. It will automatically reset if the vehicle is turned off so you dont have to worry about leaving it on.

- Viper is an after market brand of remote car starter that has a range of about a mile. I added the smart start GPS module to the starter which allows me to use my smartphone anywhere in the world with Cell service to start, turn off, lock, unlock, open tailgate, check where car is and more. I love it as it means I dont have to carry an extra keyfob around. I have the credit card key so that is all I need to start, unlock and drive.

- The body side moldings are moldings that go on the doors to prevent door dings from other people in parking lots. They should be standard in my opinion. If you buy them with your ClubLexus discount from Sewell you will pay about $110 shipped or so. They are super easy to install and come with great instructions. It took me about a half hour to do in the garage. I think they look great as well. They break up the door panel and make the car look taller to me. However they are really for protection in the same way the Paint protection film is.

I am in the middle of Canada.. actually the middle of North America in Winnipeg. Montreal is about 1400 miles away or so. Montreal is a beautiful city with tons of history. I was there last February and enjoyed it very much.
Old 01-16-12, 02:03 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

-I changed all the interior lights, the lights in the doors, mirrors, cargo area and under the dash with LED bulbs. They give a much brighter and whiter light inside the car. I have had several comments on them already. When you explain how easy it was the reaction is typically: Wow I could do that.

- The Clear Bra or paint protection is a plastic film that is applied over the paint to protect from stone chips and such. Many here have done it and it does work. I went with a total wrap of the fenders, bumpers and hood because I did not want the seam to show. The standard installation involves approx. 16" up the hood.

-The Prestige Auto navigation mod is probably at this point my favorite mod. It fools the cars gps into thinking the car is stopped. This allows you (or more likely your passenger) to use the locked out menu's in the radio, settings and nav system while you are moving. It was very simple to install and works seamlessly. To activate you use the volume button on the steering wheel, make your change then turn back off the same way. It will automatically reset if the vehicle is turned off so you dont have to worry about leaving it on.

- Viper is an after market brand of remote car starter that has a range of about a mile. I added the smart start GPS module to the starter which allows me to use my smartphone anywhere in the world with Cell service to start, turn off, lock, unlock, open tailgate, check where car is and more. I love it as it means I dont have to carry an extra keyfob around. I have the credit card key so that is all I need to start, unlock and drive.

- The body side moldings are moldings that go on the doors to prevent door dings from other people in parking lots. They should be standard in my opinion. If you buy them with your ClubLexus discount from Sewell you will pay about $110 shipped or so. They are super easy to install and come with great instructions. It took me about a half hour to do in the garage. I think they look great as well. They break up the door panel and make the car look taller to me. However they are really for protection in the same way the Paint protection film is. Can you send picture, I do not see what you are talking about but sounds good!
I am in the middle of Canada.. actually the middle of North America in Winnipeg. Montreal is about 1400 miles away or so. Montreal is a beautiful city with tons of history. I was there last February and enjoyed it very much.
LED: OK but my RX is already equiped with significant interior led lights except, as you did mention, under the dash. I do not know whether it was of original equipment but it's there and no idea of the power, etc. Can you tell me?

Prestige Auto navigation mod I like this! where did you get this and how much? compatible with any RX around the world (i.e. not specifically designed for N.A. and what is the minimum requirement? just the nav system provided by Lexus with the package? no extra options for nav system?)

OK I see but it's not available in France unless to be ordered via Internet.

Viper : I like this!. Can you develop? I would like to get this but please can you explain with more details (picture of your application on the iphone (to get with press at the same time the return button and the switch off button).

body side moldings : Can you send picture, I do not see what you are talking about but sounds good!

I go to Canada twice a year at minimum but could be 3 or 5 times (Kitimat, south of Terrace (2h flight from Vancouver (I like Vancouver very much) and Montreal mostly, I like it very much as well
Old 01-16-12, 02:46 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Viper: found on Internet
Viper 5301 Responder LE 2-Way Remote Start System $349.99 + Interface Module XpressKit Databus All Interface Module $129.00 sounds good + information availabloe on iPhone with a specific app (additional cost).

Cannot find the "Prestige Auto navigation mod "
Here it is! I found it Is this this module you have bought BEAT-SONIC NAVIGATION/DVD BYPASS MODULE NT4618 ?

Last edited by Alpy64; 01-16-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 04:24 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

I have the Prestigious Society Nav over ride. It is made in Japan so I would imagine that it will fit all Lexus's.

Here is a link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

Beatsonic is a similar idea but a little different in application. What sold me is the ability to activate the module by using the volume buttons on the steering wheel.

As for body side moldings here is a picture of Sfcyclists car with them on.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...h-black-2.html

My RX did not come with any interior LED lights. They were older style incandescant bulbs. The LED ones I got from AutoDesign here on the forum. He packaged them all up for me. Very easy to change over. I did the 3 in the cargo area, both the overhead ones in the front, the ones in the bottoms of the doors, the rear overhead lights as well as the ones in the mirrors for the puddles.
Old 01-17-12, 10:48 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-17-12, 11:06 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

I have the Prestigious Society Nav over ride. It is made in Japan so I would imagine that it will fit all Lexus's.

Here is a link: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

Ok and thanks again. I have read info of the link mentioned but something unclear: do you loose your rear camera functioning or not?

I also understand that since 2010+ Lexus, a switch is no longer required (sorry for the question in another post)! The activation/deactivation of the system is now integrated with the factory buttons on the steering wheel.

Well lookes quite good now.
Tell me, any tool required (it is said the following "the installation does not need any special tools at all. The interior moulding removal tools are highly recommended but it’s not required"

"highly recommended...not required" ???
Old 01-17-12, 12:29 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

I did not loose the reverse camera at all. The only tools that I used were a nylon prybar (from my stained glass toolbox) a 10mm socket and extension and a small screwdriver. I was able to pull off the panels with just a little force with my fingers.

I can tell you that I spent more time fishing out the bolt I dropped than doing the installation. I would recoment a magnetic socket or be more careful than I was. I am pretty sure I could do it in less than 45 min now that I have done it once.

Highly recomended is to keep the orangatangs who use prybars and big screwdrivers to do everything. I did not use the one I have.

Here is some info on my install.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...vice-dept.html
Old 01-18-12, 08:08 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

[QUOTE=InRBigness;6951530]... orangatangs ... prybars... [QUOTE]

Sorry but what is orangatangs and prybars?
Old 01-18-12, 09:06 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

They say the trim tool is highly recomended because it is made to lift off body panels without doing any damage to the part or the surrounding area. The tool is a flattened screw driver with a v notch in it to get around the pin that holds the part down. It spreads the prying force out over a larger area and thus reduces the pressure as a whole.

If you use a screwdriver all the force is concentrated in a small area and you are likely to mar or scratch the plastic parts. The orangatang comment was a car reference to how Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear does any sort of delicate work. You do not need it but it can help. I did not use mine.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-12, 11:25 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Ok!
Thank for this very interesting comment 👍

Quick Reply: how not to lose key?