RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guidelines on Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 04:52 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SirPatrick
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I visited here randomly before so I finally signed up last night. I'm happy to read all the comments and hope to contribute as well. I have technical background and would love to see my RX 450h with more features like guidelines to name one. I have other things I would like to do with it that many in the prius community have touched on. As for the guidlines... with the many brilliant minds out there, someone can't come up with a way to either enable or give a definative answer if we can even make it a reality with our own vehicles? One of the most important devices that would be needed would be a fine encoder for wheel position indication. I have a strong feeling that we have some sort of encoder in certain if not all models integrated into the steering system. You may be asking, how the heck would he know? My answer..... the adaptive front lighting system might use an encoder based wheel position or I could be wrong all together while it may use an accelerometer to sense the turns. I tend to think that it would use an encoder. So in short, there may be a possibility to have the guideline feature. Keep your fingers crossed.

With all the snooping around that I've been doing in my RX, I've noticed that from any other vehicle I have seen, there is more wiring, distribution junctions and fuses than a couple of cars put together. I'd like to see a version of the human nervous system for the RXh, if you know what I mean. We apreciate all the beauty on the outside while taking the inside for granted.

Jim Myers, you sure do stand out in my mind when I think of this forum.

Patrick

As for my current avg. MPG, I do most of my driving over the grapevine going to and from Southern California. I'd like to see more stats from everyone here.
Patrick, a hearty welcome to our forum. I'm sure we'll all benefit from your input.
Old 02-18-12, 10:48 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My camera (France market) has 3 modes for rear moving and depending on how you want to park the car. Each mode contains help lines different colours, (yellow, red and green).
The line when to you move back for instance show the exact dimension of the car incluidng the wing mirrors si that you know whether you can enter the place.
The red line in that mode, indicates the safety limit before touching the obstacle behind you with an integrated 20cm limit where the bip sounds without interruption.
The lines turns when you turn the steering wheel so that you can visualise where your car is going.
All modes can be selected before you park the car (but frankly speaking it's rather time consulming when not use on a regular basis.
I always try to park my car by rear (safety reasons) and this is manadatory in all our sites worldwide to reduce or eliminate near misses on employees car parking lots and when we have contractors on sites (also apllying the same rule).
The positive thing is that we know use this attitude at home and everywhere we can do this and believe me, it's rather safe particularly when you leave your parking lot (in the right sense).
You cannot imagine h w many dramatic accidents that happening at home with pets (less dramatic) or children being fatally injured when moving the car (leaving the residence)!
Think about it!

nota: for those who do not have lines on camera when moving rear, I can show pictures.
Old 02-21-12, 11:25 AM
zmanou812
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wish I could turn on & Off the camera with a switch,
That way at stoplights I could look at the people behind me ! :~)
or when I'm sitting there in a parking lot waiting for wifey
I could watch how close the guy behind me is getting !
That should be an easy mod.......Right??
Old 02-21-12, 02:19 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Just my cent, have we, as drivers, became so deficient in our driving skills that we need this or that? Having a rear camera without the lines has been perfectly fine and I always park going in reverse and parallel park all the time.

One thing I agree though is that during rainy or snowy season, the camera is useless. But then again, that's where driving skills apply.
Old 02-21-12, 02:26 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

I would love to have the Infinity surround camera on the RX.........makes parking anywhere a breeze.....
Old 02-23-12, 02:03 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Just my cent, have we, as drivers, became so deficient in our driving skills that we need this or that? Having a rear camera without the lines has been perfectly fine and I always park going in reverse and parallel park all the time.

One thing I agree though is that during rainy or snowy season, the camera is useless. But then again, that's where driving skills apply.
Agree! but camera is really the best safety device which equipped the cars (SUV or sedan, etc.) where visibility is reduced/limited when moving back. Of course driving skills are still required and the best camera is your eyes, but nevertheless, eyes cannot see below the bumper for fine car parking. It's really a help not a substitution.
Old 02-23-12, 02:52 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Is it on the 2012? I saw it on the 2012 Camry hybrid and it is nice.

Last edited by billy44bo; 02-29-12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 09:25 PM
SirPatrick
Driver School Candidate

Alpy64, pictures would be nice if you can post some. I'm most interested with the lines that move with your steering wheel. For the amount of hard earned money that we pay for our vehicles, there should be so many more features that can be turned on or off eg. basic, advanced and custom screens. Basic for basic people... you get the idea.

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 03-12-12, 01:35 AM
dgraham
Driver School Candidate

I frequently back into parking spots so in addition to the camera I tilt my side mirrors to see the stripes which enables me to stay within the lines and backup straight.
Old 03-12-12, 06:06 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977

This. A million times this. My camera is for seeing if a car is coming around an SUV I'm parked next to, seeing if someone is behind me, and knowing how close I am to an object. I've had no trouble at all through 4 vehicles with it. Honestly, if your spatial perception is so bad that you NEED guide lines to tell you where your car is going, you might want to reconsider that whole driving thing.
Old 03-16-12, 02:01 PM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tapau
I have a 2011 450h and I do not have guidelines on my rear camera. I was just lookingat some pictures on autoevolution.com of a 450h and the reverse camera shot has this grid lines so that you can see if you're backing up straight or whatever. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find anything in the manual.
Thanks.
You are going to find that Lexus no Lexus vehicle has guidelines...yet. The new GS350 has it when you back up, so I assume all the 2013 models with back-up camera will have it.
Old 08-03-12, 10:11 AM
srini298
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation 2013 RX - Guide lines for backup camera

I was so excited to get my new 2013 RX 350. I liked the comfort & luxury this is offering. But, I do have a question.

Is there a way to turn ON the guide-lines for backup camera? Even my Sienna has the guide-lines! I am surprised that RX doesn't have it.

THANKS
Old 08-03-12, 10:50 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2007 Infiniti M35 that had those guide lines, which I found very helpful in defining a path when backing up. It also had a picture of the car on the Nav screen with the corresponding tire pressure when displaying TPMS information. Those features were introduced on the 2006 model. This is 2013 and Lexus still hasn't added those features, at least on the RX.

I just received a survey from Lexus asking my opinion of my new RX and what features I felt were missing. I mentioned both items. I wish there was a software update that would add the guidelines to the backup camera display.
Old 08-03-12, 10:53 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Quoting from Bert's 2013 review at

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...pressions.html

For anyone wondering if the 2013 backup camera has "guide lines" like some other Toyota models and other luxury brands do, the answer is no.
Old 08-03-12, 10:55 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree completely! I still use the outside mirrors because you don't know as easily if the vehicle is angling off to the side until you're almost in the grass...makes me look like a novice.

Quick Reply: Guidelines on Reverse Camera