RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h review

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 03:34 PM
Turbineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h review

Howdy all,

Here's a review of the 2012 RX450h I did for Examiner last week. Nice car with impressive comfort & quiet with excellent economy.

Moderator note, link below caused virus alertS and redirects so we are pasting the article here for feedback

http://www.examiner.com/hartford-car...-luxury-review
2012 Lexus RX450h: Responsible Luxury

Will Alibrandi, Hartford Cars Examiner
December 28, 2011

Lexus offers its RX450h hybrid*for the buyer wanting*a luxury SUV, but looking*to escape the mileage penalty*typical*with*that vehicle class. The RX450h does offer a significant improvement in economy over the base RX350, but it comes at a price. The*RX350*(AWD) has an EPA rating of*18 mpg city/24 mpg highway, while*the AWD RX450h tops it with a city rating of*30 mpg city/28 highway, and*starts at $46,825 (a*$6,350 premium over the base RX). Realistically, the*owner would have to keep the vehicle for the better part of five years to pay for the difference in fuel savings, which makes the hybrid a tougher sell on just numbers alone, but there are other reasons to like the RX450h. It's smooth and quiet ride is enhanced by a comfortable interior with top safety scores as a bonus. The government's newer, more strenuous crash testing procedures earned the RX450h four out of five stars. It got four stars for overall frontal crash protection and five stars for overall side crash protection.

The AWD RX450h has a 3.5 liter V6 with three supplemental electric motors; one acts as a generator while the other two power the wheels. Total power output is 295hp, which routed through a continuously variable transmission (CVT) motivates the RX450 from 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. One trait of the hybrid powertrain does take a bit of getting used to - and that is the engine shutting down when the vehicle comes to a stop. It's a bit disconcerting at first, but releasing the brake pedal starts the car rolling on battery/electric power until the accelerator is pressed which starts the engine allowing*the vehicle to accelerate*smoothly under engine power. The transition from electric to engine power is seamless and virtually silent which is quite impressive. An "EV" mode allows electric-only power for low speeds over short distances.

The RX450h is available in either front wheel drive or all wheel drive variants. The vehicle tested was the AWD version with*the Comfort ($825) and Premium ($2,400) packages as well as the Navigation System upgrade ($2,465). The extra options added just over $8,500 to the MSRP, and included the kind of luxury features buyers have come to expect in a Lexus. Heated & ventilated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, a 12-speaker premium audio system with 6 disc CD changer, LED headlamps with Lexus' Intelligent High Beam system and headlamp washer, XM satellite traffic and weather information, Intuitive Parking Assist, backup camera, emergency assist button and hard disk drive navigation system.*The Premium Package*included one-touch opening/closing sunroof, auto-dimming heated outside mirrors, power rear hatch open/close, and a*driver's seat/steering wheel/mirror position memory with three settings. *

The RX's standard safety equipment list is extensive,*and includes antilock disc brakes, traction and stability control, front and rear seat side airbags, full-length side curtain airbags and dual front knee bags. Lexus' Safety Connect, a driver assistance*service similar to GM's OnStar offers automatic collision notification, a stolen vehicle locator and emergency assistance button is also included. An optional*pre-collision system*packaged with adaptive cruise control determines when an accident is unavoidable and tightens the front seatbelts and initializes brake assist.

Upon climbing into the RX450h, the aroma of leather is almost overwhelming. The car's upscale appointments and high quality interior materials exude luxury and give the look and feel of a much more expensive vehicle. An interesting option is Lexus' Remote Touch interface, which controls the audio system, navigation system and heating/ventilation/air conditioning. It resembles a computer mouse with a flat-topped joystick controller and operates with haptic feedback, allowing the driver to "feel" the buttons on the screen. The system is well thought out and intuitive, and did not require much trial and error experimentation to operate. Rear*passenger seating is roomy and*comfortable thanks to reclining seatbacks and a sliding seat adjuster. Cargo space behind the rear seats is generous at 40 cubic feet which doubles to 80 cu. ft. when the seats are folded down.

The*RX450h offers a smooth ride with impressive quietness, even at highway speed. The suspension soaks up small ruts and uneven pavement with aplomb, while the sound insulation isolates passengers from road and wind noise. Normal driving maneuvers exhibit little body roll, and engine noise is only apparent during full-throttle acceleration. This Lexus occupies a small market niche;*both Porsche and Volkswagen offer hybrid SUVs, but for a considerably higher price and without the RX's fuel economy. It's hard to find much fault with the RX450h; a luxury SUV that returns better mileage than most luxury sedans at a competitive price.
Would like to hear feedback from RX450h owners.

Will Alibrandi

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-01-12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 03:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

here you go, your link wasnt working Looking forward to reading it now

http://www.examiner.com/hartford-car...-luxury-review
Old 01-01-12, 03:53 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The article seems accurate. As an owner, I would say that I really enjoy the characteristics of the hybrid system. The very smooth transmission and the quiet/serene atmosphere when operating on battery power or when the engine is not running. I also enjoy the privacy in the vehicle.
Old 01-01-12, 05:40 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Realistically, the*owner would have to keep the vehicle for the better part of five years to pay for the difference in fuel savings, which makes the hybrid a tougher sell on just numbers alone, but there are other reasons to like the RX450h. "

In reference to the above quote in the article, I would say a more realistic break-even figure would relate to a mileage figure of ~ 80K miles. I would definitely concur with the 2nd part of the above sentence which relates to having numerous "other reasons" to purchase the vehicle.
Old 01-01-12, 06:18 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

ive had our 2012 RX450 for a few weeks now and would agree with everything you said except the navigation and menu screens.. the navigation i terface is Not intuitive at all and seems quite cluttered, especially with the traffic color codes... once i remove all that it got better.. the constant switching betewwn single map, dual map and freeway content is extremely annoying.. theres now way to keep it on just on map and prevent it from changinf.. and the map doesnt function well as a map like our old RX330... this navigation makes you trust it more, as its very difficult to zoom in and out and just use it as a simple map... however, like any gps navigation, you cant let go completely, you still need to add human common sense, if you give it complete control youll be mKing pointless U Turns and other garbage.... but this interface is hard to manipulate and keep directional control... i like to zoom in and out a lot to see what roads are ahead that i can take to improve my route depending in traffic... however, it doesnt show enough of the smaller roads unless you zoom in A LOt, and by then, you cant see far enough ahead to see if its a sworthy short cut or not... they could eliminate half the zoom out options which zoom out to state, country and hemisphere which is absolutely useless... they should have more of the lower increments... again, ill never trust it enough to give it complete control to always do the right thing.. because it rarely does...

the voice recognition is a waste of time as well.. you tell it to "play radio" and it responds "air conditioning off"... again, its not intuitive AT ALL and its more trouble than its worth. i dislike the joystick too, theres nothin convenient about it, and its just one more thing that can break off. its a poor decision to move thw navigation screen deep into the dash and add this mouse hardware... bring back the touchscreen... its 2011, not 1995

Last edited by TampaOwner; 01-01-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 08:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

TampaOwner, I agree with some of your points and find "birds-eye" view a much easier map to use. I look forward to any discussions you may start after having the RX a bit longer and see if your opinions change or become more reinforced.

Will, nice review, well thought out. No comments about the exterior?

There are days I think I feel every control joint and crack in the road. I would like not to feel them.
Old 01-01-12, 09:15 PM
RXSF

tampa, you should just get rid of all the dual map screens and just have the large map in front of you. also, you can quickly zoom in and out with the up and down arrows on the actual remote touch
Old 01-02-12, 04:33 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

i cant figure out how to keep it single map... i assumed there was a way to do it permanately, but havent found it yet... its just trying to do too much.. i really miss the touch screen....
Old 01-02-12, 05:03 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

TampaOwner, have you tried the voice command, "Single Map"? Changing magnification is "Zoom In" and "Zoom Out" or use the arrow key at your finger tip below the remote touch. That arrow key also scrolls up and down when a long list is shown in the display, such as songs or previous destinations.

Sorry if this information you already have tried and doesn't work. "North Up" and "Heading Up" change the orientation of the map. Clicking on the compass icon in the upper left of the map does this too. I prefer "Heading Up", but switch to "North Up" for an overview of where I'm located.

Again, sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.
Old 01-02-12, 06:45 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

yeah, all that makes sense... but its temporary... when its dual map, i can put it back to single, but then it wants to go back to dual because it thinks its helping... i was caught in bad orlando traffic the other day and wanted to go around some stuff and i could never zoom out enough to pick a good road becuase when i did, the smaller roads disappeared ... when i zoomed in to see those roads, all the crap around the screen locked the map... it might take getting used to, but its not intuitive at all. it should be like google maps, i dnt know why theyre using their expensive locked down dvd software...
Old 01-02-12, 12:24 PM
RXSF

I dont have a single dual map activated. I removed the highway information dual map, I dont like dual maps when I am on guidance. The settings should be on the map screen on the left hand side
Old 01-02-12, 05:16 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not disagree more with the statement that the mouse-type controller is inferior to a touch screen. We've had touch screen navies in two previous RX300/330s, my current Mustang GT, and our Hondy Ody - and its a lot more intuitive to use the mouse with its feedback system than to lean over, take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time, and touch a specific area of the screen. Not to mention that half the time the touch pressure is wrong and we need to do it all over again...not to mention #2 that touch screens look like Alice's Looking Glass into an oil refinery inbetween car washes and details...
Old 01-02-12, 05:41 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

i spend more time with my eyes off the road while i try to line the mouse arrow on a button than if i just pushed the button... the mouse pointer doesnt show up until you move it, and you have to move it to the button you want, and then align it properly to push the button.. and the choose one of the three buttons on the mouse and click it... with a touch screen, i can glance at the button i want, lunge my finger at it and its done... it absolutely takes less time for a touch screen than the mouse nav

Last edited by TampaOwner; 01-02-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 05:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Jeff, I totally agree with you. After using both touch and then this the advantage is light years ahead of the old. That doesn't mean it's perfect or w/o faults but much safer. Of course the logic is different and owners have to 'learn' it but once they do, it is superior and IMO much safer. Everyone won't agree but it's here now and drivers will have to adapt to it. Lexus won't be going back. Other manufactures have tried their versions and most of the reports give the praise to ours.

Originally Posted by jeffmust
I could not disagree more with the statement that the mouse-type controller is inferior to a touch screen. We've had touch screen navies in two previous RX300/330s, my current Mustang GT, and our Hondy Ody - and its a lot more intuitive to use the mouse with its feedback system than to lean over, take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time, and touch a specific area of the screen. Not to mention that half the time the touch pressure is wrong and we need to do it all over again...not to mention #2 that touch screens look like Alice's Looking Glass into an oil refinery inbetween car washes and details...
Old 01-02-12, 06:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't miss the fingerprints on the nav screen

Nice article, very positive overall. But I don't like the reference to how long an owner needs to keep the 450h to recoup the 'premium' cost in gas savings. It detracts from the hybrid experience IMO.

Last edited by kitlz; 01-02-12 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: RX450h review