RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h review

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 06:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

...and to think I want them to add the voice button to those three by the remote touch...

The remote touch is one of the reasons I bought an RX. My natural driving position is not reaching up to touch a screen on the dash, it's resting my arm on the rest and hand on the RT.
Old 01-02-12, 06:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea, and it doesn't speak to the fact that the 450h is an upgraded model with more trim and equipment. The VDIM alone and individual tire pressure readings are pretty expensive options on the standard RX. And it didn't mention the increased percentage of resale value at re-sale/trade time. That alone drops the time to recoup into a much more reasonable period.
Originally Posted by kitlz
I don't miss the fingerprints on the nav screen

Nice article, very positive overall. But I don't like the reference to how long an owner needs to keep the 450h to recoup the 'premium' cost in gas savings. It detracts from the hybrid experience IMO.
Old 01-02-12, 06:50 PM
Turbineguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Will, nice review, well thought out. No comments about the exterior?
Thanks. I try to refrain from critique about style/design as it really is in the eye of the beholder. I like the RX's shape - and Lexus is not known for taking chances stylistically so they tend to be a tad conservative, which suits most of their target audience. I think the design will wear well.
Old 01-02-12, 07:01 PM
Cruiter

Will, it was a nice article but when you talked recouping the difference between the 350 and the 450h, you didn't mention that it was a whole model up with more trim and equipment. It has as standard equipment for instance the VDIM which is an expensive option by order only on the standard model and the individual tire pressure readings. Plus the added trim and different wheels. Also the (h) is noted to have a much higher percentage of resale which alone is most of the difference in price. So the recoup is actually closer to 'even' IMHO and you still get the higher model, performance, and mileage.

I own one so I"m a little defensive if it's not accurately portrayed. Sorry

Originally Posted by Turbineguy
Thanks. I try to refrain from critique about style/design as it really is in the eye of the beholder. I like the RX's shape - and Lexus is not known for taking chances stylistically so they tend to be a tad conservative, which suits most of their target audience. I think the design will wear well.
Old 01-02-12, 07:06 PM
Turbineguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Yea, and it doesn't speak to the fact that the 450h is an upgraded model with more trim and equipment. The VDIM alone and individual tire pressure readings are pretty expensive options on the standard RX. And it didn't mention the increased percentage of resale value at re-sale/trade time. That alone drops the time to recoup into a much more reasonable period.
Mea culpa. The extent of my comparison with the RX350 only went as far as base MSRP, and as I had no historical data on resale value I wasn't about to tread there. JimH2 seemed to think 80k miles would be the breakeven point for the hybrid.

kitlz - thanks for your comments. Ignoring the significant premium over the RX350 would not make for a complete review IMO. If a hybrid's purpose is to save fuel, and therefore $, but its price premium negates much of the benefit then there must be other advantages/benefits besides the improved efficiency.
Old 01-02-12, 08:20 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... Ignoring the significant premium over the RX350 would not make for a complete review IMO. If a hybrid's purpose is to save fuel, and therefore $, but its price premium negates much of the benefit then there must be other advantages/benefits besides the improved efficiency.
Saving fuel is not only about saving money at the pump. It's also about burning fewer dead dinosaurs non-renewable resources and polluting less. The upgraded premium features and some options unique to the 450h (e.g., LED headlamps) are other things that contribute to making it a reasonable value proposition in many folks' estimation.

We all make decisions based on what is known in some academic circles as Multi-Attribute Utility Assessment. That is, we assess or weigh the utility (or call it value or importance) of multiple attributes according to our individual desires, likes, dislike, etc. Each individual has preferences for one thing over another. Some put a whole pile of features (or attributes) in the "don't care" column. Others find things in that same pile to be "must have". Still others just want a red car.

At the end of the day we each make our own decision. Thanks to the fine helpful folks at sites like this one, for many of us it's a well-informed decision that we'll be happy we made.

p.s. The feedback feeling / behavior in the remote touch system is a combination of haptic and force feedback. There's a nice Wikipedia article on it here.
Old 01-03-12, 03:27 AM
Cruiter

Marvin, thanks. That's the 1st time I read the Wikipedia article. Pretty Good.
Originally Posted by mklemovitc
Saving fuel is not only about saving money at the pump. It's also about burning fewer dead dinosaurs non-renewable resources and polluting less. The upgraded premium features and some options unique to the 450h (e.g., LED headlamps) are other things that contribute to making it a reasonable value proposition in many folks' estimation.

We all make decisions based on what is known in some academic circles as Multi-Attribute Utility Assessment. That is, we assess or weigh the utility (or call it value or importance) of multiple attributes according to our individual desires, likes, dislike, etc. Each individual has preferences for one thing over another. Some put a whole pile of features (or attributes) in the "don't care" column. Others find things in that same pile to be "must have". Still others just want a red car.

At the end of the day we each make our own decision. Thanks to the fine helpful folks at sites like this one, for many of us it's a well-informed decision that we'll be happy we made.

p.s. The feedback feeling / behavior in the remote touch system is a combination of haptic and force feedback. There's a nice Wikipedia article on it here.
Old 01-03-12, 06:56 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mea culpa. The extent of my comparison with the RX350 only went as far as base MSRP, and as I had no historical data on resale value I wasn't about to tread there. JimH2 seemed to think 80k miles would be the breakeven point for the hybrid.

kitlz - thanks for your comments. Ignoring the significant premium over the RX350 would not make for a complete review IMO. If a hybrid's purpose is to save fuel, and therefore $, but its price premium negates much of the benefit then there must be other advantages/benefits besides the improved efficiency.
My estimate of an 80K break-even was based on no differences later on in re-sale value vs. the original difference in base price. As others have noted, there are numerous other reasons to pay more $ for the 450h which are deemed worthwhile by owners.
Old 01-03-12, 08:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Will, fair enough. I just don't want people to be disillusioned by the extra cost up front which for a few of us has equated to a couple percent below MSRP.

Another benefit not mentioned, maintenance costs on the hybrid versus than non-hybrid. Routine service is less overall. There are fewer things that might break or require replacement. The brake pads can last two to three times longer. The other reasons to go with the 450h have been covered here and in other threads so no need for me to regurgitate them.
Old 01-03-12, 08:58 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

does anyone know if the RX350 also has oil changes every 10k?
Old 01-03-12, 10:21 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes all new Lexus models use synthetic oil so oil changes are 10k mile intervals
Old 01-03-12, 01:59 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Canadian schedule is oil change at 8K km or 5K miles. Not sure why different but also is synthetic oil.
Old 01-04-12, 07:02 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the touch screen vs remote touch, I will take the system in my new Lexus ANY DAY over any touch screen. Just got rid of a Lincoln MKX with a horrid My Lincoln Touch/ SYNC system. The screen is so low on the MKX, you must take your eyes off the road for FAR too long - then you have to find what you want to touch, then touch it three or four times to make it work. On my Lexie, I adjusted the button feedback sensitivity on my remote touch, so it is very easy for me to tell when the arrow is where I want it. This is a much safer, and much more stable system than what Ford is selling. And don't even get me started on the nasty fingerprints on the touchscreen!!!
Old 09-29-15, 01:29 PM
fastjen
Driver School Candidate

RX450h 2013 Audio screen -- I'l love for it to stay on the radio setting and not flip to maps. I've looked everywhere and can't see where to do this -- and my salesman said it couldn't be done. Is that true? Seems weird to me that I can't have radio up all the time if I want it!
Old 09-29-15, 02:06 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastjen
RX450h 2013 Audio screen -- I'l love for it to stay on the radio setting and not flip to maps. I've looked everywhere and can't see where to do this -- and my salesman said it couldn't be done. Is that true? Seems weird to me that I can't have radio up all the time if I want it!
There is. I think it called Display auto switch back or something under setting.

Quick Reply: RX450h review