RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tailgate adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 11:52 AM
onerarevip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate/Rear Door Height Adjustment?

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to re-program the tailgate/rear door height? Or even manually adjust? Just purchased a 2012 RX 350, and my garage is about 4 inches too short. Now I realize I can disable the electronic lift, but it's a shame not to be able to use this feature. I'm sure others have had this problem, but I've googled with no success.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-11, 11:59 AM
jblazing
Driver School Candidate

Not that I have heard of, but perhaps you can put some padding on your garage roof, so that your tailgate doesn't ever get banged up, even by accident?
Old 12-28-11, 12:26 PM
onerarevip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jblazing
Not that I have heard of, but perhaps you can put some padding on your garage roof, so that your tailgate doesn't ever get banged up, even by accident?
Yeah, I was thinking of the padding idea.
Old 12-28-11, 01:35 PM
fr0mastaj
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased the car, i asked this question at the dealer and the answer was no.

I also have the same height issue with my garage. However, i am able to fully open the tailgate if i close the garage door first (just misses the track by about 1/2"!) If i have the garage door open, it will hit it. Not sure if that helps you at all...
Old 12-28-11, 02:46 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I find it is safer for the vehicle to just open the door manually in the garage. I have a towel that I can put between the door and the garage door, if I need to leave it open for an extended period of time. I can use the automatic opener when I back into my garage.
Old 12-28-11, 05:51 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No adjustment on the opening. It is what it is. I don't have a problem with the garage door closed. I was impressed that I could open the hatch with the garage door closed, the angle of the door and the way it swings requires less rearward room than most SUV's. Not so with my previous vehicle.
Old 12-28-11, 07:19 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't adjust on the second generation RX. I was able to raise the height of the garage door. However, I have to open the hatch with the door closed. If you goof you do get a scratch on the hatch!
Old 12-29-11, 06:12 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Couldn't adjust on the second generation RX. I was able to raise the height of the garage door. However, I have to open the hatch with the door closed. If you goof you do get a scratch on the hatch!
Walk around a lot and look at the pre-owned ones and you'll find many an example of the low garage ceiling syndrome.
Old 12-29-11, 07:54 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could just back in, no?

Old 12-29-11, 08:21 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the tailgate just use power to close and pressurized struts to open?
Old 12-30-11, 10:42 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even for those of you with 1/2+" clearance for the hatch when the garage door is open, WATCH OUT!! I had adequate clearance, but a couple weeks ago opened my garage door while simultaneously opening the rear hatch. I heard a horrible crunching sound, and found the hatch had wedged into one of the lateral garage door supports as it passed by. Scraped off a bunch of paint on the bottom edge of the hatch, but, fortunately, the hatch "gave" a bit, so no permanent dents, and the hatch mechanism appears intact. Doh!
Old 12-30-11, 01:14 PM
jblazing
Driver School Candidate

Could you put a door guard on the bottom of the hatch to prevent this? May be more practical than padding.
Old 12-31-11, 05:35 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
Doesn't the tailgate just use power to close and pressurized struts to open?
The rear tailgate both powers open and powers closed. It has emergency reversing if powering open and also if powering closed and it hits an obstruction in either direction.

The pressurized struts act to counterbalance the weight of the gate making it easier for power operation and also manual operation.
Old 12-31-11, 03:20 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
The rear tailgate both powers open and powers closed. It has emergency reversing if powering open and also if powering closed and it hits an obstruction in either direction.

The pressurized struts act to counterbalance the weight of the gate making it easier for power operation and also manual operation.
I missed the part about opening with the button vs releasing it at the hatch. I have yet to use the button to open it.
Old 08-04-13, 10:43 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just searching this for my 2013 RX350 and found this thread. I'm surprised to see Cadillac thought of something Lexus did not.

The SRX Crossover power liftgate with memory height allows you to open the rear liftgate to any pre-programmed height, and close it, at the touch of a button.

My RX has a few scratches as the hatch hits the garage door when opened all the way.

Quick Reply: Tailgate adjustment?