RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus hid are not as bright as BMW.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 08:27 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus hid are not as bright as BMW.

I'm not sure if it's because the HID bulbs still need to break in but they are not nearly as bright as my BMW's. Moreover the cutoff is not as sharp. Just wondering if anyone else noticed.

Also does anyone know if the projectors are all the same, as in HIDs and non HIDs? From what I've seen on hid conversion threads, it appears as if they are.
Old 12-23-11, 09:13 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The projector used in your Lexus is likely different than those used in your BMW - that's what causing the difference in light cutoff.

You can also try checking the type/brand of bulbs used in your Lexus vs. BMW. If I remember correctly, the RX uses D4S Phillips bulbs. If your BMW uses the same bulb, then you're seeing the difference only due to the different projectors being used and how they disperse the light.
Old 12-23-11, 10:10 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

usually sharp cutoffs is a bad thing for people...so if the RX has less of a sharp cutoff that is a good thing. It disperses light evenly. Also Lexus is very OCD about shining light in peoples eyes, so they usually aim their lights a little bit lower.
Old 12-24-11, 11:12 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

The obvious differences are cut off and color temp. BMW are slightly bluer and brighter. The Lexus light are more washed out.

Also wonder why the head lights position are now reversed? Inboard now versus outboard in previous generations. I think it makes it look less aggressive.
Old 12-24-11, 11:16 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
usually sharp cutoffs is a bad thing for people...so if the RX has less of a sharp cutoff that is a good thing. It disperses light evenly. Also Lexus is very OCD about shining light in peoples eyes, so they usually aim their lights a little bit lower.
Well that section that I'm referring to is quite small. If the light are adjusted properly, it should be an issue.

What annoyed me the most are people with HID driving with their high beams on! I see that more and more since HID came around!
Old 12-24-11, 11:21 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
The obvious differences are cut off and color temp. BMW are slightly bluer and brighter. The Lexus light are more washed out.

Also wonder why the head lights position are now reversed? Inboard now versus outboard in previous generations. I think it makes it look less aggressive.
Have you checked the bulbs? If both cars are using the same bulbs, then the difference in perceived brightness is due to the projectors.

... to answer your question about the outboard/inboard positioning of the lights, note that on new RX that has Automatic High Beams, the HID projectors are lower and towards the inside while the regular non-HID models have the projects still on the outboard part of the headlight.

Hope that answers your question, and happy holidays!
Old 12-25-11, 01:02 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Have you checked the bulbs? If both cars are using the same bulbs, then the difference in perceived brightness is due to the projectors.

... to answer your question about the outboard/inboard positioning of the lights, note that on new RX that has Automatic High Beams, the HID projectors are lower and towards the inside while the regular non-HID models have the projects still on the outboard part of the headlight.

Hope that answers your question, and happy holidays!
Interesting.. I didn't notice that. Based on the photos of the beam from HID conversion kit photos, looks like Lexus used the projectors for the HID and non HID models.