RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Pen warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 10:06 PM
ggravant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pen warning

The RX is my wife's daily driver, so I do not notice the little details as much, but recently the door for the cupholders in the center console did not seem as if it was open all the way and the cups did not fit in as I remembered. My thought was that a coin may have slid behind the door, preventing it from opening all the way.

But, that was not it ... it turns out that a pen got behind the door and was sitting along the bottom of the holder. I had to unscrew the shift ****, then pop out that whole panel that holds the joystick, cup holder, seat heater switches, etc (it is just held in with clips). Once it was free, I just tilted it to one side with all the cables still connected and I removed 5 screws that were holding in the cup holder assembly. Once free, it was easy to get the pen out.

Just a warning that it some debris CAN fit behind there, but getting it out is not that difficult (and probably a wee bit cheaper than having the dealer fix it)
Attached Thumbnails Pen warning-pen_cup_holder.jpg  
Old 12-18-11, 11:42 PM
Viognier
Driver School Candidate

Default How exactly do you get in?

Great insight - thank you for the heads up. Think this is what may be going on in our Honda Pilot....how exactly did you get into the area in your RX350 and I'll see if I can replicate?
Old 12-19-11, 12:32 AM
shkr
Driver School Candidate

WOW... I had come to this forum today to ask for help with the same problem. I also have a pen slid into and now my cup holder will not open completely.
I had placed the pen on an open cup holder and closed it. Next I remember when i opened it again, it had slipped below.

I am still vary if I can actually open the whole thing myself to get the pen out.

Last edited by shkr; 12-19-11 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-19-11, 06:08 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by Viognier
Great insight - thank you for the heads up. Think this is what may be going on in our Honda Pilot....how exactly did you get into the area in your RX350 and I'll see if I can replicate?
I started from the rear of that panel. After the lid is open I pulled up on each corner until it was up high enough that the clips were out of the holes, then i gently pulled the whole panel backward and upward to start releasing the front clips. Once that was all free, I just gently lifted it up until it was over the shift shaft and just turned it sideways. I was then able to get at the screws that hold the cup holder assembly to the panel. You have to do it slowly so you do not pull too hard on cables, etc, but it does come out.
Old 12-19-11, 06:15 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by shkr
WOW... I had come to this forum today to ask for help with the same problem. I also have a pen slid into and now my cup holder will not open completely.
I had placed the pen on an open cup holder and closed it. Next I remember when i opened it again, it had slipped below.

I am still vary if I can actually open the whole thing myself to get the pen out.
I can understand if you do not want to do it yourself. But, if you do ask the dealer to fix it, it should not take them more than 15 minutes of labor to do it. If they also want to sell you a new cupholder assembly, well ... they are very evil, greedy people
Old 12-19-11, 08:20 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once I put my cell phone on top of the cup holder cover. When I open by pushing the cover, the cell phone fell into that small opening. I could not get it out. When I took the car for the 5,000 service I asked service to get the cell phone out. Cost me $50. They said they have to remove the assembly to get at it. Be careful.
Old 12-19-11, 08:22 AM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Once I put my cell phone on top of the cup holder cover. When I open by pushing the cover, the cell phone fell into that small opening. I could not get it out. When I took the car for the 5,000 service I asked service to get the cell phone out. Cost me $50. They said they have to remove the assembly to get at it. Be careful.
Removing the assembly is exactly what I did ... it is not hard at all.
Old 12-19-11, 08:22 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ggravant
I started from the rear of that panel. After the lid is open I pulled up on each corner until it was up high enough that the clips were out of the holes, then i gently pulled the whole panel backward and upward to start releasing the front clips. Once that was all free, I just gently lifted it up until it was over the shift shaft and just turned it sideways. I was then able to get at the screws that hold the cup holder assembly to the panel. You have to do it slowly so you do not pull too hard on cables, etc, but it does come out.
Some photos may be helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-19-11, 10:00 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To remove that center console here are the step by steps:

1) unscrew the shift ****
2) remove the little plastic cover by the shifter
3) push screwdriver into hole left and shift into neutral. This will give you much more play and puts less stress on the clips when you reinstall or remove the cover
4) start at back by the seat heaters and lift console edges up. I removed the storage box and was able to pop out the seat heater switches when the console started to come up. undo the conectors and put switch aside
5) keep lifting firmly up on both sides from the back towards the front of the dash and the middle piece will come off.

Once you have it off, you are 1/2 way done to installing the override for the nav so keep going.

The clips are very solid and as long as you dont twist them you will be fine. To reistall reverse process and make sure ALL connectors are replugged and firmly seated.

Here are some pictures Beatsonic posted in a different thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...50-rx450h.html
Old 02-17-12, 01:03 PM
mitchfry
Driver School Candidate

Hi What's up with the seat heaters on the 2010 rx 350. Ours isn't warm and the dealership is trying to figure out how to not fix it. Is this some we have to live with or can it be fixed?
Old 02-17-12, 10:24 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchfry
Hi What's up with the seat heaters on the 2010 rx 350. Ours isn't warm and the dealership is trying to figure out how to not fix it. Is this some we have to live with or can it be fixed?
Mine work great. I can feel the heat even when its -10 almost right away when its set on 2. I have never had it on 3 and when the car is warmed up I have to turn them off. If yours are not working then somthing is wrong.
Old 02-17-12, 10:27 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found when I put the seat heater levels at 2-and-a-half, that they work great. Pretty much any number lower, and I just don't feel that they get warm enough. So maybe the level wasn't high enough??
Old 02-17-12, 11:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the ones on the RX are the fastest seat heats to warm up that I have ever experienced and it does get toasty on 3.
Old 02-18-12, 03:28 PM
ggravant
Driver

Sorry, I am only an expert at pen extraction
Old 02-18-12, 03:42 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mitch
Welcome to the club, you can make a lot of friends here and find some good information. The reason you've not got a good answer yet is this thread is about a problem with laying pens over the folding door on the console, causes problems.

But in your case, I'd go back to the dealer and ask to sit in another car on the lot. See if it's seats warm faster than yours. If so, they you have a case with the service manager. If not, then you know yours are normal.

Again, welcome.