RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 06:28 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I got that sheet but it is NOT for the 3RX series.

So, the shelves must come out first by pulling TOWARD you and UP? Then push the cover UP and to the RIGHT?

I will try again. Thanks everyone.
Odd since it is from the Sewell site when searching for a 2011 cabin air filter replacement. Anyway, I just walked out and put my hand underneath the shelf in the glovebox and pushed upwards hard. The shel just pops out. There are two tabs on the left bottom that attach as well as one right angled one on the right hand side. Just push up hard, no biggie.
Old 12-14-11, 06:36 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Odd since it is from the Sewell site when searching for a 2011 cabin air filter replacement. Anyway, I just walked out and put my hand underneath the shelf in the glovebox and pushed upwards hard. The shel just pops out. There are two tabs on the left bottom that attach as well as one right angled one on the right hand side. Just push up hard, no biggie.
There are 2 shelves in there so I guess you put your hand under the LOWER shelf and push up?

Thank you for your extra works.
Old 12-14-11, 06:51 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
There are 2 shelves in there so I guess you put your hand under the LOWER shelf and push up?

Thank you for your extra works.
Hang on... I can take some quick pics...
Old 12-14-11, 07:07 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Best I can get on short notice.

Place your hand on the under side of the lower shelf (it's a one piece plastic thing) and put your index fingers all the way to the back of the glove compartment. Push up, hard, with the tips of your fingers. Don't worry, the thing is plastic but is flexible. It will "pop" and make a loud noise - you aren't breaking it, that's just the clips releasing.

Here it is out of the glovebox. You can see the tabs. The air filter compartment is located on the back wall.

Install is the reverse of removal. I put in the big right clip in the side of the glovebox then bend the shelf to fit the little guys in. Push in until the clips pop into place. Return 50lb owners manual to its home.
Old 12-14-11, 11:23 AM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After changing the cabin air filter the first time, I have not re-installed the glvoe box shelf. Sure is easier to change the CAF in the future!
Old 12-14-11, 11:42 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is one shelf unit with two shelves and a support between the upper and lower.

Put your hand under the whole unit on the drivers side and lift up. Once the two tabs pop out, pull the unit sideways towards the drivers door to remove the tab from the side of the glove box. You wont break it and you may have to be firm.
Old 12-14-11, 12:26 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, big manual. I simply hired a large helicopter to carry it behind me as I drive and if I need to reference it, they just lower it down on a heavy chain
Old 12-15-11, 03:30 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Owners Manual

On my 2nd Gen RX. I keep the owners manual in the tray above the spare tire.

I also bought a windshield visor C/D holder. And with it I put a piece of paper with my notes on it. The stuff you always use. Like reseting the Maintenance required light.

Dont ever need to use my manual. If I have to look up something. I go to the Lexus Drivers web page. Login. And they have your owners manual in PDF form to search.

Much easier to find stuff. Than flipping through pages.
Old 12-15-11, 09:39 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Helicopter pilot is now looking for work PDF wins every time.
Old 12-16-11, 08:07 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my manuals in the house. Why carry it around?

BTW I ask the store at the Lexus dealer if they have a set of service manuals. The guy said it has to be special order, will cost about $600 and has about six thick volumes. Better stick to the online manual then. Lol.
Old 12-19-11, 02:17 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Best I can get on short notice.

Place your hand on the under side of the lower shelf (it's a one piece plastic thing) and put your index fingers all the way to the back of the glove compartment. Push up, hard, with the tips of your fingers. Don't worry, the thing is plastic but is flexible. It will "pop" and make a loud noise - you aren't breaking it, that's just the clips releasing.

Here it is out of the glovebox. You can see the tabs. The air filter compartment is located on the back wall.

Install is the reverse of removal. I put in the big right clip in the side of the glovebox then bend the shelf to fit the little guys in. Push in until the clips pop into place. Return 50lb owners manual to its home.
THANK YOU for these shots. It took less than 5 minutes to change the cabin air filter with these tips.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-22-11, 08:31 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put all my manuals on/in IBooks on my iPhone. Makes it a little heavier, but what the heck.

Merry Christmas Y'all

lar
Old 02-19-12, 11:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Decided to install Wix cabin filter with carbon and replace the OE paper one yesterday. Right out of the oversized box, the Wix filter is noticeably heavier and denser. The size is identical to OE though. Pricewise, Wix is less than half the price a dealer charges. I paid $12 online. I'll put it to the test this week and report back.
Old 02-19-12, 12:45 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
the Wix filter is noticeably heavier and denser.
I wonder being heavier/denser, if that will effect the air flow filtration in anyway?
I'm just thinking it might slow the air going though it.

Just a thought.
Old 02-19-12, 02:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I wonder being heavier/denser, if that will effect the air flow filtration in anyway?
I'm just thinking it might slow the air going though it.

Just a thought.
I'm hoping the thickness will make the Wix more effective than the OE one. It's well rated and for the price, I thought it worth trying. I'll have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: RX350 Cabin Air Filter