RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clicking noise sound when I apply brakes in reverse at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 02:33 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may or may not be related, but perhaps it may help. I had the same type of sound on my wife's SC430. It originated from the brake calipers. The fix was to install some brake pad shims. They did the trick. The brakes were completely silent after that.
Old 12-04-12, 06:38 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
completely normal. it is the sound of the pads moving forward and backward when the vehicle is moving forward and backward which is why you will hear it when you are in reverse and have just moving forward in drive.
"normal" w/ some makes, NOT "normal" in MB, Volvo, LR, AUdi.
I had this "clunk" in my Honda Pilot, and Honda delaer called it "normal operation of the brakes".

Did not have it driving XC90, LR2, and Q5.
The clunking sound comes from brake pads moving slightly withing the caliper; does not happen when the brake parts fit precisely; it did happen on XC90 after I installed aftermarket pads, and disappeared after I removed aftermarket and installed oem pads.

The noise does NOT affect drivability or safety.
Old 12-06-12, 11:44 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I don't know exactly what is the problem in this topic, but maybe these:

We have these noise since march 2011, on both cars (We have two Rx450h Luxury Moon in Europe)
There were many changes around the brake, but nothing changed, still this squeking sound with loud clicking/beeping noise (not just in reverse)
We tried a brand new 2013 RX450h, with 2 km, and it was the sme squek and click/beep.
Leuxs knows the problem but can't do anything! Just waiting for them to solve this very irritating sound!
This is a construction like this they say. (this noise is acceptable for Lexus cause the brakes of the 450h is much stronger and more effectiove like on the rx400h)
What can we do with this????
Old 12-09-12, 04:23 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another video abput the "beeping" or clicking noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImtGM...ature=youtu.be

Lexus said this is "normal" a this car...
Old 12-11-12, 11:40 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

My old 08 ES350 had this noise and Lexus put out a technical service bulletin. The fix involved some extra shims on the brake pads. They did have a loose fit before the TSB was performed. I recall putting them together and taking them apart again several times in an attempt to eliminate the rattle , thinking I had done something wrong. I had not done anything wrong, after years of brakes jobs I really don't need a manual anymore, although I have it. It was Lexus design problem.

The RX front pad assembly is very similar to my old Mazda MX6 in that it has separater anti-rattle springs on the front of the pads. This is an improvement over the 08 ES.

I have not noticed it on my recently acquired 10 RX350. It only has 22000 miles. I did service the front brakes last weekend as I do most of my own maintenance. These pads fit very tight when I put them back together and slid the caliper over them. Servicing the brakes, in my opinion should be done every few years. It involves taking the pads out, cleaning and regreasing the sliding areas. I also like to remove the small metal plates they fit into on the caliper as it allows for better cleaning. All this stuff gets coated in brake dust. I use plentyof brake cleaner and brass brushes & toothbrushes to clean the areas the pads slide on at the top and bottom. Then clean around the caliper and put it back together with just a touch of caliper grease on the sliding areas and pad backs. Making sure to keep my greasy fingers off the pad surface and spraying them with lots of brake cleaner to be safe. I think it improves braking performance by allowing the calipers to slide faster due to less resistance from brake dust grit buildup on sliding surfaces. I will get to the rears in a week or two.
Old 12-15-12, 07:30 AM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilly
Yep. Back up, apply brakes, CLUNK.
The other day I happened to drive my wife 2011RX350AWD (15K+ miles bought Aug 2011, a couple months before the 2012 came out). I heard this clunking noise when I applied the brakes. It doesn't matter driving forward or backup. Didn't hear this noise when the car had less than 10K miles.

I noticed the clunking noise happens if you apply the brake and the car makes a sudden stop (See youtube video #2 of post #18). You won't hear the noise if the car is slowly come to complete stop. I thought the noise could be coming from the moving suspension. So I bounced the rear end up and down, but I didn't hear any noise.
So it must be the pads moving.

I think Lexus is aware of this problem. Because the other day I brought my GS350 in to check for the humming noise from the rear (not clunking noise yet) occurred sometime when the brake is applied, and the anwser I got is normal operation. Pads are shifting due to suspension movement. But the humming noise is not anywhere near the clunking noise from my 2011RX350. This noise level is not acceptable.
I am going to log this problem on my next visit to the dealership. Maybe when Lexus has enough
complaints, it may come out with the TSB for it.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 12-15-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-15-12, 10:16 AM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with posts that the caliper noise is completely normal: I've had the '06, '08 and now own the 3rd generation 2010 RX450h. All have a little (very little) first-brake pressure click when reversing direction. Caliper noise.

Not so much going forward. However, the click or "hmph" going forward, just after starting the engine, is likely due to the resetting of the ABS - if I listen real close, I might hear it one time after starting out, and it's gone.

This is not a defect, IMHO. BTW, I have about 35K+ miles on the 2010 RX. FWIW.

Last edited by UTAS; 12-15-12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-18-12, 08:57 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UTAS
Agree with posts that the caliper noise is completely normal: I've had the '06, '08 and now own the 3rd generation 2010 RX450h. All have a little (very little) first-brake pressure click when reversing direction. Caliper noise.

Not so much going forward. However, the click or "hmph" going forward, just after starting the engine, is likely due to the resetting of the ABS - if I listen real close, I might hear it one time after starting out, and it's gone.

This is not a defect, IMHO. BTW, I have about 35K+ miles on the 2010 RX. FWIW.
Is it a normal noise in YouTube video#3 of post #18?
Old 12-19-12, 08:56 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Is it a normal noise in YouTube video#3 of post #18?
Well, I think THAT example is suspect of a suspension issue. I noticed the pronounced vertical movement as the brakes were applied. Just guessing, but it could be the strut.

Side note: Over a course of time, I had squeaks from the rear struts - both were replaced, each at different intervals. The Lexus dealership simply diagnosed and replaced them under warranty. Don't know if something more is going with the suspension in video#3, but may be.

As for the caliper noise, I only notice it one time in reverse, if at all on my 2010 RX450h.
Old 12-20-12, 06:23 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UTAS
Well, I think THAT example is suspect of a suspension issue. I noticed the pronounced vertical movement as the brakes were applied. Just guessing, but it could be the strut.

Side note: Over a course of time, I had squeaks from the rear struts - both were replaced, each at different intervals. The Lexus dealership simply diagnosed and replaced them under warranty. Don't know if something more is going with the suspension in video#3, but may be.

As for the caliper noise, I only notice it one time in reverse, if at all on my 2010 RX450h.

My 2011 RX350AWD (15K miles) makes a same noise but not as loud as in the video on all 4 wheels as the brakes applied when going backward or forward. The noise came from the front wheels when going backward as the brakes applied. Going forward the noise came from the rear wheels and much louder comparing with the noise from the front wheels.

It's not a caliper clicking noise I hear sometime on my GS350.

Anyway, brought the car to dearlship. The tech heard the noise and said it's not normal.
So they removed the pads and the shims on all 4 wheels. Cleaned off the old gray grease and applied new white brake grease to the back of the pads and slide area.
On the rear they also lubed the lower control arm bushing.
So far, the noise has reduced a lot but not completely gone. Just a light noise for now.
Lexus picked up the tab.

This weekend I will test and see if the suspension does move and make the remaining noise. This RX350 does carry quite a momentum before coming to stop.

There is definitely some suspension movement in the video.

Btw, heard the same noise on the loaner 2012 RX350.
This must be a design flaw.

Last edited by chuckGS350; 12-20-12 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 07:43 PM
UTAS
Driver

There are a few design differences between the RX gas and hybrid versions. It's a bit of a different setup under the rear carriage. I do not seem to have the described issues on the 450h AWD.
Old 12-21-12, 07:51 AM
PghJeff
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, getting close to finalizing a purchase of a 2013 RX350. Is this something I should worry about or is it just effecting a select few? I realize that a lot of time only the ones having problems post in these type of threads. Are there some with higher mileage that haven't had this happen? Thanks and this is a very informative forum!!

~Jeff
Old 05-13-13, 02:18 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My clicking noise always happens in the morning after I release the parking brake and put the car in reverse and let off the brake pedal. Any ideas anyone?
Old 06-14-13, 01:51 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The clicking noise can best be hear around the 5 second mark of this youtube clip, it is a LOUD clicking noise that happens right when I let go of the brake pedal and began to move in reverse

Old 06-14-13, 07:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the clicking noise on my '13 F-Sport with 5K km. I'll ask my service rep see what he says.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise sound when I apply brakes in reverse at low speed