RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clear bra installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 04:16 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear bra installed

I just had the hood, fenders and front bumper covered with paint protectant. The installer was fantastic. While the car was inside their heated shop I took the time to put a coat of Zaino protectant on the rest of the truck. Took only an hour or so. Results are visible.

Here are some pictures that show the shine the Zaino left. It is rediculous how much and deep the shine is. There is also a couple of pictures of the edge of the fender and the door. I defy you to spot the clear bra installation. There is also a picture of the whole car outside with all the protectant installed. For you in the sunbelt, the white stuff is liquid sunshine.

Now to insall the bodyside moldings. That is tonights job as the garage is heating up.
Attached Thumbnails Clear bra installed-clear-bra-done.jpg   Clear bra installed-clearbra-seam.jpg   Clear bra installed-clear-bra-seam-2.jpg   Clear bra installed-shine-with-zaino.jpg  
Old 12-07-11, 04:46 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice install!
Old 12-07-11, 05:49 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see the line... but I am an installer so I know what I am looking for. But looks like a nice job. The piece of mind you will have driving now will be priceless as you will not have to worry about rocks hitting the front anymore.

By the way Zaino is an excellent product for the film and I highly recommend you use it on the film as often as you do the paint.
Old 12-07-11, 08:46 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Thanks for that PTmobile. The left side is the one that is done. I have not done any treatments to the film at this time. They asked me to let it cure for a while first.

For those that are not installers, the left side has the plastic on it.

I can not say enough about how well the Zaino works. It is a pleasure to put on. Yes it takes a bit more time, but the results are awsome.
Old 12-08-11, 04:54 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great looking car Jairus, you've done some pretty nice things to your car.

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Thanks for that PTmobile. The left side is the one that is done. I have not done any treatments to the film at this time. They asked me to let it cure for a while first.

For those that are not installers, the left side has the plastic on it.

I can not say enough about how well the Zaino works. It is a pleasure to put on. Yes it takes a bit more time, but the results are awsome.
Old 12-08-11, 05:43 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Looks nice. I had an interesting experience this week.....took GX into dealereship to have new dash put in...cracks had developed...thanks to you guys I got lexus to go half so that only cost 880. Here is the interesting part...they gave me a 2010 blue RX as a loaner...of course I have a new RX coming in ten days (from another dealership). The RX had a film on the hood, fenders, bumper etc and I figured out this is what you guys are talking about as "paint protection". This was doing the job in terms of bruises to the front of the pretty car but the film was very noticeable and my wife hated it. I used to work in the plastics industry and it appears to have yellowed over time on exposure to the UV down here in the South. I pretty much thought this was a bad idea...I'd rather put up with the pits if this is all that could be done.

Now I see your pictures and it causes me to rethink. Maybe some installers can make a truly transparent and colorless installation. Also I am a bit skeptical since the real answer is what does it look like after 4-5 years. The job on this blue one resulted in such a sharp line of demarkation that I noticed immediately when I came into the garage. Ain't doing that.

I did get to play some with the Nav system while I had the loaner and all it did was whet my appetite for the Matador red baby we are getting in Macon on 12/19.

Mastergator
Old 12-08-11, 06:05 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

There are three main ingredients to the clear bra IMO:
  1. Product (3M, Ventureshield a 3M product, Avery, etc.)
  2. Installer skill
  3. Convenience for addressing issues

You can get the best product available (ultra-thin, lifetime warranty, repairable for scratches) and the installer could be a doofus who does a crappy job and has terrible follow-up

You can get a thicker subpar product yet have an installer who is top-notch and addresses any issues you have

You can get the best product and have a crappy installer that you have to drive 2 hours each way to have any issues addressed

Or any combination of those three listed ingredients. Most likely the one you drove may have had old Avery Road Block on it or some knock off done by a less than great installer. So if you ever consider it shop around and look for the opinions of owners, not just the installers since they can be biased to their own products

Last edited by MX5NES350; 12-08-11 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 06:13 AM
PeterAG71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice picture. I'm intrested in knowing where did you get the clear bra from? Was it from dealer or a different vender. Would love to protect my new RX in the same fashion.
Old 12-08-11, 06:17 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PeterAG71
Very nice picture. I'm intrested in knowing where did you get the clear bra from? Was it from dealer or a different vender. Would love to protect my new RX in the same fashion.
Doubt it was the dealer since he complimented the installer on having the vehicle in his heated shop. At least it doesn't sound like the dealer. The Lexus factory one, at least here in the US, is just a 6 inch strip of thin plastic on the hood. The guy who did mine now has a contract with the local Lexus dealer and has done 6 more cars including one full wrap since the GM saw my vehicle after it was done.
Old 12-08-11, 07:46 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

It was the Llumar product that was put on and it was done by Future Tint and Stripe here in Winnipeg. Llumar is the worlds largest window film company. They started out using the 3M stuff but the installer said she prefers to work with this stuff. You want to find a great installer first, then most of the products are very good these days.

They really don't yellow as they are UV resistant but PTmobile can chime in on that as he see's more than we do as its his job. There are tiny splotches in it that they told me will outgas and disappear over time. She told me that in the summer it takes a few weeks to dry/cure/set whatever so winter will be a bit more. I am not worried, they will always redo if it does not take.

As far as how it will look in 4-5 years, well if it doesnt look any good, take it off. It wont harm the paint and when you do that paint will look like new and you will have saved yourself from 5 years of sandblasting and rock chips.

In Canada if you specify that you want this it is done by Lexus Canada in Vancouver or in Ontario before vehicle is shipped to the dealer. I was also worried about the visible line and thats why I had them do the whole hood and the full front fenders as well as the whole front bumper. I did not do the mirrors as they are not painted but plastic.
Old 12-08-11, 08:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There are several options brand and kit-wise to consider with the clear bra. Mine was 3M pre-cut but I opted for full hood instead of several inches plus the A pillars. If you don't want lines, go full wrap. However that may require removing the parts being covered to get around the edges and it costs more too. I was quoted $2K from an independent place for that.
Old 12-08-11, 07:13 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

repairable for scratches
Has anyone seen a repair. What does it entail??
Old 12-09-11, 04:10 AM
PTmobile
Driver

If you are talking about the film it depends on what type of film as to how it can be repaired. I hear that 3M can be buffed out with a light polishing compound. I do not install 3M though s oI cant really speak to it except for what I have heard from other installers. Ventureshield has a different top coat... if you get light scratches in it you can apply heat to it and they will go away. A hair dryer... or even parking it out in the sun on a warm day will work. If it is a little deeper I have seen people take a light polishing compound and hand buff them out. Takes a little elbow grease but I have seen some impressive results. With the Avery Nano film I have really not seen it scratch much yet and it has only been on the market about a year.

There are numerous other films out but I dont realy have any experience with them. Evidently Xpel has a new "self healing" film out called the Ultimate. Looks impressive but I havent tested it myself to see how durable it is.
Old 12-09-11, 04:45 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PTmobile
If you are talking about the film it depends on what type of film as to how it can be repaired. I hear that 3M can be buffed out with a light polishing compound. I do not install 3M though s oI cant really speak to it except for what I have heard from other installers. Ventureshield has a different top coat... if you get light scratches in it you can apply heat to it and they will go away. A hair dryer... or even parking it out in the sun on a warm day will work. If it is a little deeper I have seen people take a light polishing compound and hand buff them out. Takes a little elbow grease but I have seen some impressive results. With the Avery Nano film I have really not seen it scratch much yet and it has only been on the market about a year.

There are numerous other films out but I dont realy have any experience with them. Evidently Xpel has a new "self healing" film out called the Ultimate. Looks impressive but I havent tested it myself to see how durable it is.
Just speaking to the 3M it has a clear coat on the film. I've seen small scratches being eliminated with a deminishing abrasive (ie Meguiar's Scratch-X)

Not sure about anything that claims to "self heal". Then again Infiniti's paint self healing technology gets fair reviews. If it actually does work then cool!