RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

100% Serviced By Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 08:19 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 100% Serviced By Lexus

Can I see a response here from owners who have their RX completely serviced by their Lexus service Departments?
I realize on the new 2012's,the first two 5000 service intervals are free.

I like to change my own oil/filter and do a tire rotation at times, but do you feel I'm sacrificing anything by taking it to the dealer once a year for a complete check up?

I presently own a 2000 RX300 with 92,000 miles with no trouble.
I only take it to Lexus service center every 30,000 miles for fluid change with filters for major maintenance, (Transmission, coolant, etc.) which is noted in the manual,

BTW...........the answers here are important to me because I take delivery on a 2012 Christmas RX 350 on Dec 19th. and will take your response seriously.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-11, 09:02 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have mine serviced at Lexus. They stand by their product even when my old RX 300 made strange noises which ended up later being the transmission. The cars don't need much service so it's not that frequent. This is my third RX.
Old 12-03-11, 09:30 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my newer Lexus vehicles serviced at the Lexus dealership. But, I will shop for the best price (I have many dealerships to choose from). I have been quoted differences as high as $300 or $400 on a major routine service in the past. It is really tough to say this, but I have been to some Lexus dealerships where I felt that there was serious price gouging. I have taken my prior Lexus vehicles to a local repair shop for minor work (AC recharge, oil change, smog checks, new tires). I have given all of my prior Lexus vehicles to my kids and they will take them to Walmart or other similar service locations. They have gotten excellent results with these cost effective approaches (they use top quality synthetic oil and filters).

Whether you should rely on your local dealership has a lot to do with that specific dealership.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-03-11 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 02:15 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 2010 RX 350 and a 2001 LX 470 both of which have been serviced only by Lexus dealers. I too have a variety of dealers to visit. It's nice to get a second opinion. Just last week I had the Fremont dealer tell me that the LX had leaky manifolds whereas the Serramonte dealer said it was perfectly fine. I have also purchased their 'Magna Shield' product on both of the cars. One of the applications felt like it was rushed and not done well and they sent a flatbed over with a loaner and redid the Magna Shield application completely free of charge. Besides that, their overall quality of work has always been top notch.
Old 12-04-11, 05:15 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

My previous ES had only any warranty work done at the dealer. Other than that I took it to the local mechanic who I entrust with all my vehicles for routine maintenance. What did I miss from not taking it to the dealer? Free coffee amd pastries. And with the cost savings the wife and I could have a nice dinner. Just keep the service records - which oh by the way the dealer didn't ask for when I traded it in on the 2012 RX
Old 12-04-11, 05:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently used Toyota for my 30k service. I didn't get a loaner and the waiting area didn't serve croissants or latte's, but there were doughnuts and coffee and TV. The bill was about half of the best I could get from Lexus. Priceless

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
I've got a 2010 RX 350 and a 2001 LX 470 both of which have been serviced only by Lexus dealers. I too have a variety of dealers to visit. It's nice to get a second opinion. Just last week I had the Fremont dealer tell me that the LX had leaky manifolds whereas the Serramonte dealer said it was perfectly fine. I have also purchased their 'Magna Shield' product on both of the cars. One of the applications felt like it was rushed and not done well and they sent a flatbed over with a loaner and redid the Magna Shield application completely free of charge. Besides that, their overall quality of work has always been top notch.

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-04-11 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-11, 05:23 AM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my Lexus, I traded a 7+ year old Toyota Sienna with 249,000 km for it. As part of determining what they'd give me for it, the used car sales manager pulled the service history of the vehicle. He was astonished to see that every single factory specified service had been performed by the selling dealery - said he'd never seen anything like it. That, and the condition of the vehicle got me more than I was expecting in trade. So, there can be a benefit to having the dealer perform all service...

- Alex
Old 12-04-11, 05:32 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have a 2001 IS300 (87,000 miles) and a 2004 RX330 (92,000 miles) and we never taken them to the Lexus Dealeeship... we took one of them to the dealer and paid $275 for what amounted to just an oil change and tire rotation. all the other stuff they claim to do is just fluff.. we havent had a single mechanical issue with either car. nothing in 10 years. We just bought a 2012 RX450 Hybrid and ill get the freebies and then find a reputable garage for the rest... Id take it to the dealer for warranty work, and if theres something significant... but not for fluids and filter replacements, thats just a rip off

Last edited by TampaOwner; 12-04-11 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-04-11, 05:41 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexB
When I purchased my Lexus, I traded a 7+ year old Toyota Sienna with 249,000 km for it. As part of determining what they'd give me for it, the used car sales manager pulled the service history of the vehicle. He was astonished to see that every single factory specified service had been performed by the selling dealery - said he'd never seen anything like it. That, and the condition of the vehicle got me more than I was expecting in trade. So, there can be a benefit to having the dealer perform all service...

- Alex
When talking service cost at Toyota vs Lexus it is apples to oranges. I seriously doubt the delta between Lexus service and a quality mechanic over the course of 5 to 7 years worth of ownership would make up for a difference in trade value. Folks here are saving between $100 and $200 a pop. That is fairly significant over time
Old 12-04-11, 05:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since purchasing my first SC300 in Hawaii in 1995, I have had all 4 of my Lexus vehicles serviced only by a dealer. I've been fortunate living in 4 different states during that time, Lexus locations were relatively convenient. While I enjoy detailing my rides, I'm not a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to things under the hood, and want to always retain confidence service was done right, nothing will ever be questioned when it comes to warranty claims, and my car's reliability will be maintained the best it can be. I get that some basic maintenance items may be able to be done for less money using other shops, but with my relatively low annual mileage, many times I've been able to combine regular maintenance with minor warranty items and save me the inconvenience of waiting or being without my ride multiple times. The piece of mind and the Lexus service experience including the Lexus loaner program, I guess, is worth something to me. I plan to continue using Lexus service when my new RX450h arrives in the next few weeks and replaces my 2006 RX400h.
Old 12-04-11, 06:58 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

I had my first oil change done at a Toyota dealer because I was on vacation and 250km from the closest Lexus dealer. However unless I am too far from a Lexus place when service is needed I intend to get it serviced by Lexus. All my cars since the late 1960's have been dealer serviced and I have found that way there are never any issues when warranty claims crop up. I only drive 30,000km (18,640 miles) a year so that is only a couple of service visits. As my fellow Ontarian, Alex B, says Toyota/Lexus dealers can call up the service record of a Lexus with a few key strokes and in my opinion a complete dealer service record is worth some money come trade in time, especially if the dealer wants to CPO the car. I tend to trade my cars every four years/120,000km so dealer service doesn't end up costing me much more than the local shade tree mechanic's shop.
Old 12-04-11, 07:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

All three of my RXs have been serviced by the same dealer I purchased them from. While they are not the closest (30+ miles), I have always been treated extremely well. My SA is the best, she has taken care of me for the past 13 years which has included discounts and freebies She only lets certain techs work on my RX, and one of them owns an RX himself. The service manager is also great. Sure I can try other places but it's not like I have to bring it in for anything other than maintenance twice a year.
Old 12-04-11, 09:04 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexB
As part of determining what they'd give me for it, the used car sales manager pulled the service history of the vehicle.
Originally Posted by kwbuggy
and in my opinion a complete dealer service record is worth some money come trade in time, especially if the dealer wants to CPO the car.

This is all fine and good but only if your sure you'll be buying another Lexus, in which case isn't always 100% guarantee.
Old 12-04-11, 11:05 AM
Lilly
Driver School Candidate

100% on both.
Old 12-04-11, 08:25 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is being serviced by my Lexus dealer until it's out of warranty. And then by the local Toyota dealer, who can get me to and from work, without paying for a loaner.

Since I had a car engine replaced under warranty in 1995, I see real value in using the dealer while still within warranty.

Sandi

Quick Reply: 100% Serviced By Lexus