RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 06:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Now calling me a "miss-counting caucus official" would be hurtful.
Who, us? Never
Old 01-19-12, 07:05 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sales person on my original Lexus vehicles was very well informed. However, whether it is the fault of Lexus providing information or the sales staff they don't seem to know that much about the car. After owning the cars I usually ask the service writer my questions and he either knows or finds out the answer. Being honest, the manual is too thick and wasn't updated (items had changed) and the quick and digital versions didn't always cover items. My remote starter was on the car--I didn't order it and truthfully haven't used it in the year + that I've owned the car.
Old 01-19-12, 07:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand your frustration. I spent a lot of time in the business and I've owned several Lexus models. I'm totally retired now and never did work for Lexus just purchased them. However I feel your frustration should be directed not to the Lexus Corp but to your dealer. That's who you dealt with and who all your communication has been with.

If you have documented issues your dealer can't or won't work out, then you should contact Lexus through the 800 number. Tell them you've done all you know how to do and ask for help in that manner. That always works better than venting at someone who is not in a position to work on your car. But they can start a process to help you out. They want to make it right.

Originally Posted by jonas1jp
All do respect, I'm dissatisfied with the way the dealer presented it to me. Not once was it mentioned that the vehicle would turn off upon opening the door. This is our 7th Lexus, and I've loved all of them. I am a constant advocate for them, and have sold many of their vehicles through referring my friends to them. I praise everything they do right. Now, I see they've obviously overlooked an important issue to me and others, and I'm criticizing them for it. Yes, I called the dealer today, and will be in touch with the regional rep sometime soon also. I am voicing frustration. Not at anyone here; at Lexus.
Old 01-20-12, 03:14 PM
jonas1jp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I understand your frustration. I spent a lot of time in the business and I've owned several Lexus models. I'm totally retired now and never did work for Lexus just purchased them. However I feel your frustration should be directed not to the Lexus Corp but to your dealer. That's who you dealt with and who all your communication has been with.

If you have documented issues your dealer can't or won't work out, then you should contact Lexus through the 800 number. Tell them you've done all you know how to do and ask for help in that manner. That always works better than venting at someone who is not in a position to work on your car. But they can start a process to help you out. They want to make it right.

I called the 800 number today, and they created a case for me. They said they'd be in touch in a few business days. I'll keep this thread updated with any developments. Let's put this 'Pursuit of Perfection' promise to the test.
Old 06-17-12, 04:29 AM
Alexus70
Driver School Candidate

Default harnes

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
$176.90 w/ CL discount. Instructions are here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT39848091.pdf

Eric
good day ! can you help me with harness on fig 4-3 whitch empty above harness v4 ? for what it ?
Old 06-18-12, 01:01 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonas1jp
I called the 800 number today, and they created a case for me. They said they'd be in touch in a few business days. I'll keep this thread updated with any developments. Let's put this 'Pursuit of Perfection' promise to the test.
I did the same in 2010. They offered to remove the remote starter and refund the ~$500 sticker price I paid for it. They didn't, however, acknowledge that the engine shut-off is a huge inconvenience.

Between this, and the Navigation lock out while driving, I think Lexus is doing a bit too much to protect us from ourselves...
Old 06-18-12, 01:17 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

My 2013 Rx450h has remote start which I assumed worked like all the other ones I've had...WRONG. I hate that it shuts off the vehicle when you unlock it. Another vote to have Lexus fix it!
Old 06-18-12, 01:49 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krypttic
I did the same in 2010. They offered to remove the remote starter and refund the ~$500 sticker price I paid for it. They didn't, however, acknowledge that the engine shut-off is a huge inconvenience.

Between this, and the Navigation lock out while driving, I think Lexus is doing a bit too much to protect us from ourselves...
isnt the navi lockout easy to bypass? some require simple grouding the brake wire and some actually require a relay to be bypassed.
Old 06-18-12, 06:52 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the nav lockout and the poor remote start are the 2 achilles heels for Lexus. My '10 came with the remote and I ended up getting a credit from Lexus ($375). Interesting that they now charge $500 for it and it isn't any better. My '12 has it also and I think I've only used it twice. The range is too short and having to press the button 3 or 4 times and at a special cadence(I forget the details), is just archaic ! The shut off issue is also a pain but easy to deal with.
As far as the nav goes, Toyota just happens to be one of the many companies that feels it has to 'save' us from ourselves. The 3 work-arounds are 1)enform, 2) voice commands and 3) the expensive but effective PS black box, but I wish we didn't need to use these.
I wish Toyota/Lexus would join the 21st century regarding these items.
Old 06-19-12, 06:00 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The Ford Escape remote start works the same way as Lexus.
Old 06-19-12, 08:45 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ON Cars with pushbutton starts, a remote starter is designed to stop the car when you open the door to prevent someone from driving it away. Remember that the remote starter fools the car into thinking that the keyfob is in the car. In a conventional remote start you can not shift the car into gear without putting the key in. There is no key to put in. The aftermarket systems like the Viper/Smartstart that I have function the same as the factory with the exception you don't have to be in spitting distance of the car to use them.

Can they design somthing that retina scans your eyes to make sure you are supposed to be driving the car or some other type of system, probably, but as many people here are not willing to pay for many other "useful" options such as Radar cruise etc I have my doubts they would pay for that.

As far as overiding the Nav system the easiest system I have seen and actually use and love is the Prestigious Society overide. The thing just works. And yes it costs $300, but I own a 70K car so practicality, comfort and functionality are more important to me. Besides I save that much in gas every month by owning a Hybrid..
Old 06-19-12, 05:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

InRBigness, to this quote I might add something,

ON Cars with pushbutton starts,
ON SOME Cars with pushbutton starts,

My wife's Nissan Maxima with a push button start and a Viper SmartStart it does not stop when the door is opened. If she gets in, without touching the brake and she pushes the start button twice, the car keeps running. To steal the car, you must put it in gear and you would touch the brake and kill the engine and without the fob you can't start the car. Seems to work fine.

Generally speaking you are correct, especially with Lexus.

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-19-12 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 06-19-12, 06:04 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any OEM auto start will have the auto stuff off once the doors are opened. the viper too can be set up for that. i have the 5902 installed on my car and i told the installer to make the brake the kill switch (i think thats the preferred way) i know in old cars with auto start but key ignition, they have the same problem with the door killing the car.
Old 12-14-12, 06:14 PM
calman
Driver School Candidate

Lots of discussion, but no pics or description of an after market system install. I think this could add value to members, so i'll post a bit later with a Clifford Remote Starter and iDatalink bypass module install that I'm about to do in a 2013 RX350.
Old 12-17-12, 01:26 PM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Last week I had a Compustar remote starter installed on my 2013 RX FSport. Installed it was $450. It works just like the factory system where if a door is opened it shuts down. I had a similar Compustar remote system put in my 2010 RX 3 years ago (which we still own), works great, which is why I had a newer version installed in my FSport. I passed on SmartStart or Drone smart phone versions because my sales guy talked about a time lag in locking and unlocking the doors with the key fob. The lag is due to the signal having to travel to the cell tower then back to the car. I also didn't want to pay a $50 annual fee for it to work. The smart phone version work from anywhere, my new one is estimated to work up to a mile away. I personally couldn't think of a situation where I would want to start, lock or unlock my car more than a mile away from it. Even touching down at the airport, when taxing to the gate, I am less than a mile away from the car.

No pictures because there is not much to see. Here is the link for what I got: http://www.compustar.com/remotes/RF-2W9000-SS.php Hopefully I am not breaking any rules by posting this URL.

Quick Reply: Remote start option