RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 04:21 AM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I have the bypass module as well. It is what allows the starter to work around the factory alarm, locks and theft systems. You need it as well as the module for the GPS unit for the smartstart. I got my labor for free as a friend owns a shop but paid for all the parts.
Have you experienced some sort of conflict with the remote starter being after market? Has the full functions remain the same with the factory key fob? I am a little worried however as the sales guy said the bypass module should make things work perfectly.

The viper system comes with a set of pretty slim and compact remotes. I suppose I can live with that if I really want the remote starter installed on my RX. I just can't convince myself spending near $1000 for a smartphone operated starter system.
Old 11-30-11, 01:28 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not installed yet but they have done a bunch of 2011's with no issues at all. The factory fob will work just as before. It is completely invisible until you use it to start the car.

Just so that you are aware, the car will turn itself off as soon as someone opens one of the doors. This is intentional and works the same as the factory one.

Last edited by InRBigness; 11-30-11 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 02:00 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i read thru most of the posts.
i know for toyota which i am guessing is the same system on a lexus. is that the remote start is crap. short range and when you open the door the car shuts off. on my car i have installed a viper 5902. it has a great range and i love the 2 way feature. you can simply remote start it from the remote and the remote will let you know how much time is remaining until it shuts off. i have set mine to 12 mins but you can always allow it to reset the timer. i usually warm my car up for 5 mins which by that time the car temp reading is slightly above the cold line. also the viper 5902 is a great alarm system too!
Old 11-30-11, 03:45 PM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by InRBigness
It is not installed yet but they have done a bunch of 2011's with no issues at all. The factory fob will work just as before. It is completely invisible until you use it to start the car.

Just so that you are aware, the car will turn itself off as soon as someone opens one of the doors. This is intentional an works the same as the factory one.
Thanks for the info. I am consulting another shop about having a remote starter system installed. These guys seem to be more professional than the guy I spoke to at Bestbuy yesterday. I am planning to drop by later and chat with their technician to learn more about this.
Old 12-01-11, 02:36 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by kingnba6
i read thru most of the posts.
i know for toyota which i am guessing is the same system on a lexus. is that the remote start is crap. short range and when you open the door the car shuts off. on my car i have installed a viper 5902. it has a great range and i love the 2 way feature. you can simply remote start it from the remote and the remote will let you know how much time is remaining until it shuts off. i have set mine to 12 mins but you can always allow it to reset the timer. i usually warm my car up for 5 mins which by that time the car temp reading is slightly above the cold line. also the viper 5902 is a great alarm system too!
From what I read on viper's website, the 5902 model is a security & remote starter combined system. Did you have the system replace your factory Lexus alarm system?
Old 12-01-11, 03:16 AM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

yes i did. i used the bypass to actually let me get the remote start and the viper functions. i believe you have 2 ways of installing it. either use it side by side with your existing alarm or simply just use the viper 100%. no point of having 2 alarms when the viper works so much better.
Old 12-01-11, 04:55 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Art3
For what it's worth, my new RX came with the remote start - $429 on the sticker - and it works just fine.
Same here. No issues
Old 12-01-11, 07:36 AM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Same here. No issues
I wrote an e-mail to Lexus Canada asking for the reason why the remote engine starter system isn't made available for the Canadian market. They told me after doing some serious market research study, they found Canadians are not interested in purchasing such an option. I guess they have assumed that our asses deserve the abuse from the bloody cold weather and decided to leave this option available for places where never goes below freezing. looks like if I really want a remote starter, I have no choice but to go for aftermarket which most people would recommend.
Old 12-01-11, 08:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

py0413,

Oh my gawd, my sides are killing me I haven't laughed so hard in days......

I doubt if you deserve the abuse...I just think they think that as long as you gotta get up, get dressed, go out to the car and be within 10 feet of the car to get the factory "remote" to work, you may as well go all the way out to the car.
Old 12-01-11, 09:12 AM
Rookie

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat3=153531

buy this man, And you will fin installation manual on Lexus.sewellpartsonline.com, do it yourself and let you dealer eat ****! any question you can call me, cause i did it myself. 5197016168
Old 12-01-11, 09:16 AM
Rookie

you do not need to worry any more, man just follow the website I gave to you and buy it, it will comes with a small computer , a wire, some stickers and label(ALL of them are OEM, both Remote starter and glass breaker are OEM pre-wired) you do not need to cut any wires, just simple connect. and then use Techstream simplely program it to make it work~~
Old 12-01-11, 10:40 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by py0413
I wrote an e-mail to Lexus Canada asking for the reason why the remote engine starter system isn't made available for the Canadian market. They told me after doing some serious market research study, they found Canadians are not interested in purchasing such an option. I guess they have assumed that our asses deserve the abuse from the bloody cold weather and decided to leave this option available for places where never goes below freezing. looks like if I really want a remote starter, I have no choice but to go for aftermarket which most people would recommend.
Okay now that I have stopped laughing I have to say that I agree with Lexus Canada. Hold the sticks and rocks and let me explain.

In Canada is gets a tad nippleish in the winter. So you have a remote starter installed in your car so you dont have to leave your home or more likely your office to start your car and warm it up. Now picture you have the Lexus starter and you are on the fifth floor of your building or around the block from where you parked. You have to get dressed, put on your boots and jacket, head down, trudge across the windblown frozen tundra (picture Lambeau field in January and inert the voice of the NFL Films guy) so that you can be within line of sight and a 30' radius of your car.

You may now push the button and start the car. This is where it gets tricky. Do you then go back to the office? Do you go sit in the cold car and wait for it to warm up? Do you just get in and drive the car home making the remote start redundant and useless? There is a reason the aftermarket makers are trying to get the most range possible for thier starters and this has led to the SmartStart cellular system so you can do it anywhere you have a cell signal.

With an aftermarket one like the Viper, Autostart, Comand start etc, you sit at your desk and push the button and 5 seconds later get a confirmation that your car is started. You can also unlock the car remotely. I have used this when the kids need to get something out of the car and dont have keys. They call, I unlock, they or I relock. I sit at my desk where even us Canadians have central heating.

You dont need the viper alarm module and it is a bit more for it. I opted to just get the remote starter with the 1 mile range. I have had a remote starter in all my vehicles for over almost 25 years. They have progressed from basicly starting the vehicle like the lexus system to fully integrated cellular systems that will gps track, turn off vehicle if stolen, give feedback as to vehicle status and temp etc. I consider them a must have. Combine them with heated seats and life is good.
Old 12-01-11, 01:30 PM
py0413
Driver

Originally Posted by 164287356
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...subcat3=153531

buy this man, And you will fin installation manual on Lexus.sewellpartsonline.com, do it yourself and let you dealer eat ****! any question you can call me, cause i did it myself. 5197016168
Thank you for your kindness. I am really considering this option now after hearing so much bull**** from those shops here. I went to the other shop where my friend got their keyless entry system installed. They did a pretty good job on my friend's car so I decided to pay them a visit, but the result is rather disappointing. First, the guy works there doesn't seem to know too much about what I am looking for. It turned out they gave me a quote which was $750 plus tax and that is to said a $125 discount given to me for just the REMOTE STARTER (Viper 5501). I was shocked and was going to leave. They started to tell me how the others are not professional compare to them and others not being honest with all the hidden cost. I then asked why their price is almost twice as much comparing to others. This other guy (technician) came out and said because my car is too new so they need to install some extra modules such as remote lock/unlock, push start, tailgate, and other craps I can't even remember. I said to him that I have asked around and the only module I will need is a bypass module listed on Viper's website. He claimed that I was wrong and due to his over 10 year experience in the industry, the system won't work without the MODULES he mentioned. I took off and will never return to that place for any car related service/product.

I wish someone in our community can confirm that the only module that is needed is that XpressKit Databus All Interface Module listed on viper.com/
All that I want is just the remote starter figure. I don't need a remote that replaces the features on my factory key fob or replaces the security system that comes with the car already.
Old 12-01-11, 06:25 PM
kingnba6
Pit Crew

yeah going to best buy is a no no. i will pick a shop that has been open for a while and offers a good warranty. the place where i got my 5902 installed from still knows me to this day. i just to his shop the other day as i was passing by. his price was less than best buys and he did it in about 5 hours. also got other goodies installed too like the automatic window roll module and other things.
Old 12-01-11, 06:31 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Okay, stop stressing. I will be the test dummy in this experiment as I am convinced that this set up works. They have done about 25 Rx's in the past 2 years and this is where the dealer sends people so I know they know the car. That being said, mine will be the first 2012, but I dont expect any issues.

I have the Viper 5501 starter, the Idatalink ADS-AL- ca module as well as the Viper smart start GPS module VSMC250.

I paid $500 which was a great deal and as i said I am paying no labor. The full price on this is around $800 installed with the smart start GPS module. If you opt not for that, then it saves you about $350 or so.

Here is a picture of my stuff that will be installed. Some dealers use the express kit instead of the Idatalink, six of one, half dozen of the other in my opinion. When I was shopping it they came out pretty even as to what the shop was using. http://www.idatalink.com/search/index/model/7592

What you need to do is contact one of the big Lexus dealers in your area and find out where they send the cars to have it done. I stay away from the Best Buy, Visions etc and prefer the specialty shops. Price may be more but quality has its price or you would be driving a Skoda.
Attached Thumbnails Remote start option-smart-start.jpg  

Quick Reply: Remote start option