RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 07:05 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Jelly Bean stated, your buying a Lexus. You are not doing that to save money or you would be buying a 4 year old Hyundai. Get them both, plus other options you wish as you will be buying this car once and there is nothing worse than that nagging feeling that you should have, could have added the extra you are now wishing you didnt scrimp on.

BatmobileX, I have Tom Tom on my phone and it is great and rediculously accurate but when all is said and done, its nice to have the radio stations, heat and all the other fun stuff that shows up on the nav screen. Also it keeps my phone in my pocket where I wont loose or forget it.
Old 11-17-11, 07:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a Lexus, not a stripped down Toyota and I really don't want an aftermarket unit in a luxury vehicle. If you need navigation it has some nice features, including eDestinations and the Enform functions. It's easy to sit at your PC and search and enter destinations and then automatically download them into folders the next time you drive your RX. And the eDestinations ARE available while the vehicle is moving. Just open the destination screen on the Nav and open the folder and your destinations are all there in the order you requested. Just click on it and it sets that as the new destination. We took a 10,000 mi trip this summer and I would download the next days destinations the night before and they would be available the next day. Nice feature.

Second feature is the verbal assistance; just push the button and talk to a human being and tell them where you want to go and they will automatically download it to the Nav. My wife uses it all the time. It's always available in the vehicle.

The Enform / eDestination features are free the first year, and you pay after that. The cost is worth it to me to have a seamless, integrated system in the vehicle.

As far as Nav updates, they aren't worth it in most cases. I have found all kinds of errors in businesses that have not been in existence for 5 - 8 years yet they still show up in the current database. And my street has been in existence for 10 years yet it still does not show up in the Lexus database. Proceed with caution when asking for an update, it may not be that worthwhile to you.
The following users liked this post:
Tony29 (07-05-21)
Old 11-17-11, 08:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Very well put.

Not getting the popular options on a Lexus and selling it later is like looking at a nice house with only had two rooms of furniture. The buyer is going to be looking for a deal. Even if you don't use them, it will certainly make the resale/trade in value better down the road. I wish I had the HUD but I bought one of the 1st 2010 RXh models and it just wasn't available then. But I got about all you could then on the FWD model.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It's a Lexus, not a stripped down Toyota and I really don't want an aftermarket unit in a luxury vehicle. If you need navigation it has some nice features, including eDestinations and the Enform functions. It's easy to sit at your PC and search and enter destinations and then automatically download them into folders the next time you drive your RX. And the eDestinations ARE available while the vehicle is moving. Just open the destination screen on the Nav and open the folder and your destinations are all there in the order you requested. Just click on it and it sets that as the new destination. We took a 10,000 mi trip this summer and I would download the next days destinations the night before and they would be available the next day. Nice feature.

Second feature is the verbal assistance; just push the button and talk to a human being and tell them where you want to go and they will automatically download it to the Nav. My wife uses it all the time. It's always available in the vehicle.

The Enform / eDestination features are free the first year, and you pay after that. The cost is worth it to me to have a seamless, integrated system in the vehicle.

As far as Nav updates, they aren't worth it in most cases. I have found all kinds of errors in businesses that have not been in existence for 5 - 8 years yet they still show up in the current database. And my street has been in existence for 10 years yet it still does not show up in the Lexus database. Proceed with caution when asking for an update, it may not be that worthwhile to you.
Old 11-17-11, 10:15 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both options on my 450h. The lights are a high quality option that you obviously will be using a lot ... if you can afford them, then I can recommend that you get the lights. They work well and improve the driving experience. Visibility is excellent. I would purchase this option again on future vehicles.

The Navigation system is a mixed bag. First, as a casual NAV user I think that the screens and guidance has been pretty good. Many other vehicle functions are also handled through the screen; like the audio functions, car settings, phone interface ... etc. So not having the NAV system will change the character of the car. I quickly got used to the system and find it a very safe and easy system to operate. I use the screen to control my XM Sat radio all the time when I am driving. I am glad that it is on my car. If I was buying again, I would buy the option again.

But, there is also a downside for me to the NAV system. I own a high-end Garmin in addition with free lifetime traffic and maps. They are updated what seems like four times a year. I also own a high-end phone and tablet that can both handle navigation and I have more faith in their information being current without any action on my part. Plus, they can provide info that goes way beyond what the Lexus system can do. I am sure that I will purchase a software upgrade to the NAV system in my Lexus in the future, but each upgrade will probably be $200+. Navigation is a commodity function that you can pick up for free or cheaply. If you look at the $2,400 for navigation as just for navigation, then it will be a poor value. On the other hand, if you view it as an upgraded user interface to the vehicle it will make much more sense.

Here is an idea for Lexus --- Give us the NAV updates for free when we bring our cars in for routine maintenance at Lexus dealerships. This would probably generate more good will, service sales and loyalty in the long run. Plus give us more faith in our NAV system and investment. This would be a better strategy for your business than the current $169 updates that can ONLY be installed by service personnel. Everyone knows this is just plain stupid and inconvenient at this point in time.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-17-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-18-11, 02:42 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premium Package 2 all the way!

The HID lights are well worth the price, the self adjusting feature is useful if you carry heavy things or people every once in a while.

I wouldn't spend the extra money for the Navi though. My Tom-Tom ($225 at Best Buy) has free map upgrades every three months and lane assist. Also here in Canada, like you and I, we get stuck with the 19" wheels if we want the Navi since we have to buy the Touring Package at an extra $3,150! This is a lot of money for a poorer ride and a very expensive navigation system that is only updated every couple of years.

Save your money and buy an extra set of Lexus alloys with Blizzaks or X-Ice2 snow tires with the $3,000! The dealer (O'Reagan's?) likely has them on special right now.

And last but not least, you will keep some Canadians employed since the non-navi RXs are built right here in Upper Canada.
Old 11-18-11, 03:41 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

UCSB,
Two excellent points:
"upgraded user interface"
"NAV updates for free"

I don't want a car without remote touch and navigation, too boring. Nothing is ever free, but it would feel nice if they gave us complimentary navigation updates.

Perhaps the question is, when you trade in your RX is there added value to having navigation and was the expense worth it, both at the time of trade in and over your time of ownership.
Old 11-18-11, 09:22 AM
jamiec
Driver

I had navigation in my 2004 RX and couldn't imagine life without it, so needless to say I have it in my 2012 as well as the xenon lights. Sure you could by an aftermarket handheld navigation with lifetime updates, but, it will not integrate into your Lexus and provide you with other valuable information about your car. The mouse is perfectly placed and easy to operate. I like being able to see how my car is doing on fuel consumption, ability to place and receive calls, view my ipod songs and playlists, etc. I have to admit, I am a gadget junkie but these items not only make my life easier they are great for resale value!

Remember it's a Lexus and a LUV (luxury utility vehicle - my phrase) so keep it luxury and add the navigation and lights, you won't be sorry!
Old 11-18-11, 01:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

jamiec, you summed it up perfectly There are too many things integrated with nav to rule it out. BTW, LUV was written on a white sticker on the outside of my '04 owners manual
Old 11-18-11, 01:37 PM
jamiec
Driver

@ Kitlz.........and here I thought I was being original! LOL I probably heard the phrase somewhere and stored it in my subconcious.
Old 11-19-11, 01:05 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KWbuggy, I have to correct you because the Navigation versions are also built in Cambridge and they were building them there with the second generation as well. Most of the Canadian "Ultra premium 1's" are also Cambridge sourced - there are three that are not--the base model with cloth and no sunroof, the sport model and the Ultra-Prem 2 with the HUD and the RSES.

dentate
near Toronto, ON
Old 11-19-11, 01:31 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nav was not even a question when I was looking at the RX, it was a must have. Like everyone has stated there are so many other features built into the nav system, not to mention the larger back-up screen. I think it would be odd to have a Luxury car without it and it will pay off at trade in time. Lexus should allow at least one free update to the map.

I love the Xenon headlights. The way they move around when you start up at night and the way they move through a curve is a big help, especially as one gets older.

Last edited by MEP7557; 11-20-11 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 01:57 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

So weighing back in here. Again, NAV and Headlights awesome. SOS feature... or Lexus Enform as it's called I do not see as adding any value other than the accident alert or having a live person listen to what you could punch into the nav system. I have the trial on it but won't be renewing (give me my sunglass holder). $1K for 5 years? How much does that equal per route for the average driver who doesn't know where they are going locally? I mean we all bought luxury vehicles but that's because most of us did cost beeift analysis on a lot of "necessities" and "nice to haves" and have the fnds to affor dthis thing. At least that's what I did in order to afford this at my age. There aren't very many folks in this area at 38 driving in a $50K vehicle that can still afford to live without putting everything on plastic.
Old 11-19-11, 02:19 PM
jamiec
Driver

MX5NES350............I agree regarding the NAV and headlights, and as I've said before the SOS system is of no use to me will not be renewing that contract. They should have left my sunglass holder alone, that feature I was quite fond of!
Old 11-19-11, 02:26 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jamiec
MX5NES350............I agree regarding the NAV and headlights, and as I've said before the SOS system is of no use to me will not be renewing that contract. They should have left my sunglass holder alone, that feature I was quite fond of!
Tell me about it. I almost hit the SOS button a few times already trying to get to the damned thing
Old 11-19-11, 08:31 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my first RX 350 test drive today and must admit, the NAV seems the way to go.

Quick Reply: 2012 RX 350 with navigation is it worth the extra $$$