RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 04:02 PM
pacamyhm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Trailer Wiring

I have a 2010 RX350 without the tow package. It does have the wiring plug by the rear drivers side bumper. It isn't live. Does anyone know how to activate this? I spoke to three dealers, and got three different stories.
Old 11-19-11, 10:25 AM
Sixtyplus
Driver School Candidate

Check your fuse panel and owner's manual. Fuse 44 should be a 30 amp fuse for trailer lights. If nothing in the socket, put one in and see if your trailer light harness works. My 2011 came with towing package and just worked after plugging in pigtail. Not surprised by the comments from dealers. My experience has been that either they do not know how a lot of the small things work or they want you to bring into shop and they'll charge you a couple of hours labour to put a fuse in.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Sixtyplus; 11-20-11 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling and added comment
Old 10-21-12, 05:43 PM
igorp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pacamyhm
I have a 2010 RX350 without the tow package. It does have the wiring plug by the rear drivers side bumper. It isn't live. Does anyone know how to activate this? I spoke to three dealers, and got three different stories.
Hi, I'm looking for an answer to the same question. Have you ever figured it out?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-12, 09:21 AM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 worked on plugin without any extra work. So do check for a fuse etc if you definitely have no power. I do recall also reading somewhere that this was a dealer programmable option so you may be able to get the dealer to do it for free along with the other customizable options?
Old 10-22-12, 09:31 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cough
My 2010 worked on plugin without any extra work. So do check for a fuse etc if you definitely have no power. I do recall also reading somewhere that this was a dealer programmable option so you may be able to get the dealer to do it for free along with the other customizable options?
You probably have the tow package. The easiest way to tell is to see if there are louvers right in front of the left front wheel. That's where the transmission cooler is.
Old 10-09-13, 07:00 AM
SixEight
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have a 2010 Lexus RX350 AWD and I've verified it has the tow package because I have the louver in front of the front left driver's side wheel well and can see the oil cooler behind it.

E-trailer sold me the full wiring kit for about $50 but it looks like all I need is the simple T connector to plug into the 4 slot female connector inside the opening of my rear driver's side tow hook. I removed the four cylindrical rubber grommets to see the female connectors.
On the wiring harness I've been able to find (Curt #56083) looks like the right basic shape except the terminals appear to be female as well and it looks like there aren't four round symmetric holes in the T connector to fit in where I removed the grommets.

This person seems to have had the problem that both sets of terminals are female.
http://www.etrailer.com/question-23620.html

Is it possible this is just a stock photo and the Curt harness actually looks different than the picture?
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...urt/56083.html

This Tow Ready harness is also supposed to fit.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...leid=201214983

Thanks
Old 10-10-13, 05:27 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=
the 4 slot female connector inside the opening of my rear driver's side tow hook. I removed the four cylindrical rubber grommets to see the female connectors. [/QUOTE]

On my 2013 450h what you would see is a cover over the connector, not the connector itself. I know that sounds too simple but it confused me for a few seconds. Both the Curt and the etrailer wires look correct.
I don't remember the 4 grommets you mention, so mine might be different.
Check behind the rear interior passenger side panel, in front of the taillight, to see if the converter is there. Installation details are here http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=118255.

Jonas
Old 10-11-13, 11:39 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u guys take the storage compartment out there is a plug behind there u have to get the connector from curt after u go under the car by the driver side and hook up the rest of the cables to that plug and yes the plug comes with a cover is a easy operation this is my second rx my first was a 2011 450h and now is a 2013 450h the car are the same......it should take about 10 mints to do the operation......
Old 10-11-13, 11:41 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way my car is a FWD.......and it wheel tow about 2000 pounds.....
Old 10-12-13, 09:55 AM
SixEight
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrfiero
On my 2013 450h what you would see is a cover over the connector, not the connector itself. I know that sounds too simple but it confused me for a few seconds. Both the Curt and the etrailer wires look correct.
I don't remember the 4 grommets you mention, so mine might be different.
Check behind the rear interior passenger side panel, in front of the taillight, to see if the converter is there. Installation details are here http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=118255.

Jonas
I took off the accessory panel and loosened the side panel to look all around for the converter but all I could find is one small wire plugged into an existing wire that seems to go to the taillight. I couldn't find a wire with just an empty plug/cover hanging. Apparently the connector for my vehicle will only fit 2010-2011 rx450h AWD and rx350.

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56083

I think I'll just buy the connector from Amazon and see. It isn't that expensive.
Old 10-12-13, 04:39 PM
SixEight
Driver School Candidate

I found this guide from Tow Ready. Seems a little more applicable to what I'm seeing.

http://www.carid.com/images/hidden-h...structions.pdf
Old 10-15-13, 05:18 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SixEight
I found this guide from Tow Ready. Seems a little more applicable to what I'm seeing.

http://www.carid.com/images/hidden-h...structions.pdf
Yeah, that part is simple, but won't work unless you have the converter. Those look like the same instructions as for my 2013 450h. And although they call it a T-connector, it doesn't "T" into anything, it just extends the wiring harness.
Old 11-15-13, 02:29 PM
Fidzio
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up RX Third Generation RX350 Trailer Wiring

Here is THE answer with ALL credit to 2010 T-Rex of the Lexus Owners Club forum:

"Many 2010 RX 350s did not come with the trailer tow kit and I, as well as other owners, have had difficulty in finding the proper parts to route power to the existing trailer hitch connector (under the bumper). I finally found a solution and it entails purchasing part number PT219-48101-TC and installing it in the right rear quadrant of the vehicle. I have attached basic installation instructions with pictures for anyone that wishes to attempt to install the converter. Note the cost is a bit more than the after market solutions available, but it does fit right in place and matches with existing connectors so no cutting of wires is required. "

And now some more words from me (in Canada) about getting the trailer wiring to work on a 2012 AWD RX350 with NO trailer package:

I had a look under the rear bumper (on the driver's side), and found the trailer wiring harness plug, with the protective cap.

Looking for aftermarket trailer wiring, I found two options:

Part 118252 which was $16 and just extended the bumper plug and ended with a flat 4 pin trailer connector,

AND

Part 118478 which was $74 and required running a 12v supply from the front of the car.
This seemed too difficult as I didn't want to run extra wires from the back of the car to the front fuse box.

I bought the extension 118252, and when I plugged it in it didn't work. Then I searched some more and found the great instructions from 2010 T-Rex.
I bought the converter from my local Lexus dealer for $94+tax.

Today when I installed it, I followed the instructions, but I found that I could do less work as follows:

In step 3 I didn't remove the cover, I just held it up out of the way using the provided hook and cord on the underside of the cover.

In step 7 I found that I could gently hold the carpeted wall board away from the side of the car, sufficiently to install the converter, without removing the plastic moulding. This saves disturbing the plastic moulding.

Other than that, it was just plug and play! Total cost for the converter and the extension harness was about $120, and installation took about 90 mins, on a warm November afternoon.
Attached Files
Old 11-14-15, 05:12 PM
CreamCorn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fidzio
Here is THE answer with ALL credit to 2010 T-Rex of the Lexus Owners Club forum:

"Many 2010 RX 350s did not come with the trailer tow kit and I, as well as other owners, have had difficulty in finding the proper parts to route power to the existing trailer hitch connector (under the bumper). I finally found a solution and it entails purchasing part number PT219-48101-TC and installing it in the right rear quadrant of the vehicle. I have attached basic installation instructions with pictures for anyone that wishes to attempt to install the converter. Note the cost is a bit more than the after market solutions available, but it does fit right in place and matches with existing connectors so no cutting of wires is required. "

And now some more words from me (in Canada) about getting the trailer wiring to work on a 2012 AWD RX350 with NO trailer package:

I had a look under the rear bumper (on the driver's side), and found the trailer wiring harness plug, with the protective cap.

Looking for aftermarket trailer wiring, I found two options:

Part 118252 which was $16 and just extended the bumper plug and ended with a flat 4 pin trailer connector,

AND

Part 118478 which was $74 and required running a 12v supply from the front of the car.
This seemed too difficult as I didn't want to run extra wires from the back of the car to the front fuse box.

I bought the extension 118252, and when I plugged it in it didn't work. Then I searched some more and found the great instructions from 2010 T-Rex.
I bought the converter from my local Lexus dealer for $94+tax.

Today when I installed it, I followed the instructions, but I found that I could do less work as follows:

In step 3 I didn't remove the cover, I just held it up out of the way using the provided hook and cord on the underside of the cover.

In step 7 I found that I could gently hold the carpeted wall board away from the side of the car, sufficiently to install the converter, without removing the plastic moulding. This saves disturbing the plastic moulding.

Other than that, it was just plug and play! Total cost for the converter and the extension harness was about $120, and installation took about 90 mins, on a warm November afternoon.

EXACTLY!!!!
This worked perfectly for me on 2013 RX w/o tow prep.
Thanks to you and OP!!!
Cheers!- Cream
Old 06-16-16, 02:19 PM
rjpriestl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default towing converter part #

The Lexus OE part # for the trailer wiring converter (2010 - 2013) is 81985WY010 This can be purchased online for $35-40. It plugs directly into the factory harness and will "power up" the plug found on near the drivers side towing eye as long as the trailer wiring fuse is installed. I was able to install the converter without removing the folding cover or spare tire. I did find it helpful to remove the plastic bin located to the right and back of the spare tire (held in by 2 plastic pins). Installation took less than 5 minutes.

This converter is necessary if you don't have the tow package. You will also need a hitch receiver, ball mount, ball, and the pigtail (Lexus plug to standard 4 pole flat trailer connector). I would recommend waiting to buy the ball mount and ball until after you have installed the hitch receiver, and can accurately determine the drop/rise that you need.

My 2013 owners manual states that the maximum UNBRAKED trailer towing capacity is 1000 lbs.
The following users liked this post:
Makakio (07-20-23)

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 Trailer Wiring