RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I am considering a 2012 RX 350...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 08:13 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am considering a 2012 RX 350...

and coming from a BMW X3 2005. I like the 2012 X3 but feel the need for a smoother ride. I like many of the RX features like ventilated seats and excellent seats in general.

What is important to me is ride quality, build quality, features. The thigh support on the seat is something I would really like to have.

I hate rattles. I bought a 2003 Lexus 350 sedan and it had a seat squeak and a rattle near the back seat. I sold it to a local dealer for a slight loss, and got a Honda Accord. I really hate rattles. They probably could have been fixed, but the dealer was 1.5 hours away and a vicious drive (into Boston) so I cut my losses. X3 no rattles. Honda Accord no rattles. So Lexus should be able to match that Also had a C Class for a 3yr lease term and no rattles there.

And the dealer I have in mind in Warwick is also far, but not quite as bad a drive. I like many things about the RX. My mom had a 2006 400h that I thought I hated because the ride was too smooth, but then as I got older and the roads got crappier, I realized I did not hate it so much.

Even though I am usually driving alone, I like having the space for stuff.

Anyways, it is good to find this forum where people are as maniacal as I am about their cars.

I would be getting the AWD pretty much loaded and I am hoping to get a good "December" deal if I decide to make this purchase. I will be looking to here and Edmunds for pricing info as I get closer to a decision.

Dave
Old 11-13-11, 12:56 AM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get a slightly more compliant and comfortable ride from the 18" wheels, but if your going for a higher spec vehicle, they come with 19" wheels. Rattles can be dealt with by turning up the sound system - the Mark Levinson 15 speaker, surround system is highly recommended

Alex
Old 11-13-11, 01:23 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rattles are more likely with BMW, not Lexus. Beyond that, It's just your luck. In my experience, Porsche is only German brand I still trust.

If ride quality is your number 1 concern, RX is the one. My second favorite as far as the ride quality is concerned. GL
Old 11-13-11, 03:02 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few comments:

1. You can have rattles in an RX. I found and removed all of them in my car, but it took a while. Thankfully, they were all in areas where I could fix them without taking anything apart. Test drive your specific car before you purchase it to make sure that there are not any problems with rattles.
2. If you are driving by yourself, you can get much nicer ride quality and much better handling in other vehicles. The RX is tuned a little away from ride quality toward handling/firmer ride for a vehicle of this size.
Old 11-13-11, 03:44 AM
mstrgator
Driver School Candidate

Dave....be sure to check truecar as well....I did edmunds etc but truecar did three things.

1. Gave me no haggle dealerships that guaranteed a certain minimum over invoice....in my case....1200 over invoice.

2. Build program was excellent and would not allow you to build combos that can't be done. Better than edmunds that way.

3. Actually lists cars that have sold in last 90 days on a histogram and in your area so you get a much better idea of a good price.

I just used that site and the three listed dealerships to order a new rx about 2 grand below what local dealer would do.

Good luck

Mastergator
Old 11-13-11, 11:56 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Thanks for all your support. I am going to truecar now. Great tip. I must have missed them.

I know that any car can come with rattles. The Lexus ES350 I had 7 years ago was my only unlucky car. Each purchase is a chance. I usually have excellent luck.

I always go with White as I feel it is the most visible color and fairly easy to keep clean.

I am really excited to test drive one as soon as possible.

I will post my impressions here.

Dave
Old 11-14-11, 03:54 PM
avmba
Driver School Candidate

Go test drive one with 18" wheels and 19" wheels. We just bought a 2012 RX with the appearance package (19" specially finished wheels) and despite the size the ride is very compliant.

We came from a 2008 MAzda CX-9 with 20" factory wheels (and lower profile tires than the RX) and it was like moving from riding on plywood to a pillow. We cross-shopped a lot of vehicles before settling on the RX and the difference between X3/X5 (even without sport package/wheels) and the RX was dramatic.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-11, 05:36 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Avmba, could you post pictures of your RX, especially the headlights, aren't they tinted?

Thanks
Old 11-14-11, 06:18 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

thanks Avmba. I have always wondered about the difference in wheel size. I have always just gotten whatever came with the car.

And to clarify you are saying the ride is much better/smoother than the X3?
Old 11-14-11, 07:46 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi. First, welcome.

Compliance (in the definition of being cushier) with the 18 or 19 inch wheels will be better on the Lexus simply by design. The Lexus is built primarily for ride comfort and any sportiness is secondary no matter the package. I like my 18’s since they cannot get curbed as easily as the lower profile 19’s. Honestly, in my opinion, the factor of “Sport” combined with CUV/SUV is an oxymoron unless you are truly taking it off-road. If you want sporty get a car. If you want off-road go get a Jeep.

Anyway - the RX 350 and X3 are going to differ in a few ways based on my driving both. The X3 will offer a tighter suspension allowing for more of a driver experience... very similar to an Infiniti RX35. Thing is, you are entering a drivers cockpit as well with the BMW (to me at the price point the Infiniti looks too “Nissan plastic” for me). I mean this because the X3 is VERY German. Utilitarian describes BMW, Mercedes and Audi (to some extent) The Lexus offers friendlier technology since BMW's i-Drive takes a lesson at Cambridge to completely comprehend, however, it offers as good fit and finish. Along with Lexus you will receive a comparable warranty, better reliability, and again in my opinion better styling (subdued luxury)

Now conversely you can get the BMW. Their maintenance program on the new one as far as I know is great, their paint finish is easier to tend to than the Lexus, and if you like the driver "experience" whenever you are in the vehicle then the BMW may be your vehicle of choice. And, of course, you have the BMW logo to go by, which I have always admitted I adored yet never wanted to commit to due to the questionable reliability and exorbitant maintenance costs. As an FYI I had a 2006 MINI Cooper S (full BMW product by that year) TONS of issues. Sold it and went to Lexus.

Test drive extensively. I don't mean the normal 15 minute pre-routed map the sales rep has you follow. If you can do it take the roads you normally travel to work or wherever else the majority of driving takes you. You DO spend 99% of your time INSIDE your car so don't let that escape your evaluation.

If you do not choose Lexus then good for you – you made the choice for YOU. Hopefully Lexus will come back into your sights later on. Whether it is 6 years or 6 months.
Old 11-14-11, 11:50 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Thanks for the excellent analysis. I am leaning towards the Lexus (but must test drive to make sure, of course) as I LOhttp://www.facebook.com/CapeDave the Lexus cockpit and some of the features.

And reliability is always good!

And a smoother ride would be welcome.

So, I have to drive 1.5-2 hours just to drive an RX350, so I doubt I will be driving on the same roads as usual

But I will give it a good test, or go back and test as much as needed.
Old 11-15-11, 08:38 AM
avmba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CapeDave
thanks Avmba. I have always wondered about the difference in wheel size. I have always just gotten whatever came with the car.

And to clarify you are saying the ride is much better/smoother than the X3?
Actually, it applies to both the X3 and X5 (although the X5 was the harsher riding of the two). My wife wasn't looking to have lots of road feel and didn't care to have every seam in the pavement communicated to her through the tires and suspension.

Alex
Old 11-15-11, 08:39 AM
avmba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Avmba, could you post pictures of your RX, especially the headlights, aren't they tinted?

Thanks
Yup, there are blackout lenses as well. They look pretty good IMO.

I'll get a separate thread on the appearance package going and post pics there. I've been meaning to do it but the wife drives the RX most of the time so it hasn't been around to photograph.
Old 11-15-11, 09:09 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avmba
Actually, it applies to both the X3 and X5 (although the X5 was the harsher riding of the two). My wife wasn't looking to have lots of road feel and didn't care to have every seam in the pavement communicated to her through the tires and suspension.

Alex
Amen to that! If road feel = jarred to death, then no thanks! I am trying to get away from that. That pretty much describes my X3.
Old 11-15-11, 01:33 PM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

Get your car at the end of December. I got my 2011 4wd RX350 with premium package, nav, 19 wheels, for $1500 UNDER invoice. My friend got the same car for $2000 UNDER invoice because they already owned a Lexus (existing customer rebate). We got our cars on December 31st.

As far as RX350 vs X3 or X5, it really depends on what you want. The RX350 is boring to drive, slow, and the sounds system (even the Mark Levinson) leaves much to be desired. The BMWs are much more fun to drive. However, the RX is a lot more comfortable, particularly the rear seats, which slide fore and aft, and recline, unlike the BMWs. My wife liked the RX, I like the X5, but the car was for her and since we take long trips in the RX, I think it suited our needs the best. If it were my daily driver, I would have chose the X5 but that's because I like sports cars. My friend asked me which car to get for his wife, and I told him to get the RX for the reasons I mentioned above.

Quick Reply: I am considering a 2012 RX 350...