RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door would not lock

Old 10-27-11, 09:37 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwbuggy
The accessory mode turns off automatically after 10-15 minutes and a message is displayed which says that it is turning off so the battery doesn't go flat. I know this from waiting on my wife while she shops. I have to keep turning the accessory mode back on to keep listening to the stereo.
Ditto. I have had the same experience.
Old 10-27-11, 10:15 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by BCRCornet
Ditto. I have had the same experience.
From page 155 of the owners manual:

"Auto power off function
If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode (the engine is not
running) for more than an hour with the shift lever in P, the “ENGINE START STOP”
switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot entirely prevent battery
discharge. Do not leave the vehicle with the “ENGINE START STOP” switch in
ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode for long periods of time when the engine
is not running."

My opinion is that the accessory mode can shut down earlier depending on the rate of battery charge depletion which depends on what accessories (or loads) you are running.
Old 10-27-11, 11:41 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

In the Lincoln MKX that I just got rid of, I used a little cannister called a key fob disabler from a company called Key Valet (no, I don't work for them). It allows you to hide a key inside the vehicle and the key fob cannot be detected by the car. Worked great on my other vehicle but doesn't sound like I need it for this one. ?? From days of old, my daddy always hid an extra key somewhere in the vehicle in case he lost his keys - or in my case, if my purse was stolen with my keys attached. Could get a locksmith to get inside the vehicle, then use the hidden key.
Old 10-27-11, 05:07 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wrapping the key fob in aluminum foil prevents communication with the car.
Old 10-27-11, 05:36 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun with the RX

Alright so check this out, I am really enjoying this no-key-required thing to open the door as long as the key fob is in your bag.

Well I have this friend who has been all gaga over the RX and today we are walking out to the parking lot and she is parked next to me and she sees me open the door without using the key fob.

"You don't lock your doors?" she asks, a bit aghast. And then I thought I'd have a little fun with her because she is really gullible. So I said, "No its just programmed so that whenever I touch the handle it opens. You know that body chemistry feature." And I go to get in the car and she says "WHAT?" and I said, acting a little bored, "At the dealer, you know, you walk through a scanner and then they program it so that you but only you can unlock the door." She stared at me for a full three seconds before I couldn't keep a straight face anymore but she was totally buying it. So that's my RX story for today.
Old 10-28-11, 06:10 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still have to fish around for your house keys, but that's not Lexus's fault, lol.
Old 10-28-11, 08:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^ Unless you use the garage to get in. That's what I do. My key fob never sees daylight.

I was a little challenged a few days ago while driving a rental car on vacation. I had to use the remote to lock/unlock and put in a key to start it <<gasp>> The technology is great to have but unfortunately not everyone has caught on to it yet.
Old 10-28-11, 09:31 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by The X Men
The keyless technology is very nice once you get use to it. Especially for females who keep their key in a big purse like my wife. She doesnt have to go thru her whole bag now to find the key. I keep my keys in my front pant pocket, so its not big deal for me.
The problem is that our family uses 3 vehicles (including the RX) with the other two vehicles having their separate keys and remotes coupled with my house and office keys and the RX key fob, my key ring is getting very bulky and uncomfortable to carry in my front pocket....
Old 10-28-11, 11:07 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences

Originally Posted by kitlz
That's strange, mine stays on in accessory mode. I get to work early to avoid the traffic and listen to music before heading in. It hasn't turned off on me yet. I have to cycle through to turn it off.
Maybe this is another difference between RXs sold in Canada vs the USA. I'll check next time I get it serviced, maybe the dealer can adjust the "time to off" feature.
Old 10-28-11, 11:28 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anita
That's because of the 'electric aura' when you're around
Originally Posted by kitlz
That's strange, mine stays on in accessory mode. .
Old 10-28-11, 11:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Funny Jim. Maybe I don't keep it on long enough to turn off.
Old 11-02-11, 10:07 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
You still have to fish around for your house keys, but that's not Lexus's fault, lol.
Ha-Ha! This is so true; same thing with my office key. But, yes, I've gotten very spoiled with the "Smart Access" system on the RX
Old 11-18-11, 05:27 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
You can lock your car EVEN if you have one remote inside the car; however, you MUST use the key fob and you might have to push it twice.

GoHuskers is absolutely correct pushing the lock button twice on one fob will lock the other fob inside the car. I discovered this when I remote started the car yesterday with one fob inside the car using the second remote.

You then cannot just walk up to the car with the second fob and use the door handle to get in. Having a fob locked in the car disables the proximity sensors, thus preventing theft of your car. You must use the unlock button on the second fob to gain access.