RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door would not lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 10:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
When I lock the doors, I always lock it from the button located on the inside where the window switches are, because if I lock it from the key remote, I have to open it with the key remote, it won't unlock by touching the outside door handle.

I have had the issue come up if I'm running inside somewhere for a few minutes and I take my wallet and my key fob but not my purse, leave the purse in the car and the extra key fob is in the purse, then the door does not stay locked. This happened to me today, as a matter of fact. I usually try and leave the extra fob at home to avoid these issues.
It doesn't matter how the doors are locked (inside, with fob, or touching the outdoor button), the doors will always unlock when you approach the vehicle and it detects the fob. If yours is not working than something is wrong.

The car will NOT lock if a fob is inside the vehicle for obvious reasons, people would be locking themselves out the vehicle all the time. Why do you carry your second fob in your purse? That is unnecessary. If you feel you need to carry it just remove the battery and slip it inside the leather fob cover, then if you need it it is only a two minute operation to install the battery.
Old 10-23-11, 04:52 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There's more to it than that on the RX. Approaching the vehicle with the FOB will not unlock it by itself, you still have to touch your fingers inside the door handle.
Originally Posted by Evitzee
It doesn't matter how the doors are locked (inside, with fob, or touching the outdoor button), the doors will always unlock when you approach the vehicle and it detects the fob. If yours is not working than something is wrong.
Old 10-23-11, 07:00 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will NOT lock if a fob is inside the vehicle for obvious reasons, people would be locking themselves out the vehicle all the time. Why do you carry your second fob in your purse? That is unnecessary. If you feel you need to carry it just remove the battery and slip it inside the leather fob cover, then if you need it it is only a two minute operation to install the battery.
I just tried something this morning and it seems that this is not true that you cannot lock the car with the key fob inside. I left the key fob inside and locked the door mechanically with the metal key. This is important to me to be able to do this because when I am at the beach I don't want my key fob among my stuff clearly showing there is a Lexus in the parking lot. I will just take the mechanical key with me and then if someone goes rummaging through my stuff they will not know what car that is for.
Old 10-23-11, 05:03 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The X Men
BatmobileX , are you sure you didnt try to lock your car while its on again?
I think it's possible that last night the car was not actually on but in accessory mode and that is why the doors would not lock, which surprises me because I was at the party for 4 hours and the battery didn't die.
Old 10-23-11, 05:44 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
I think it's possible that last night the car was not actually on but in accessory mode and that is why the doors would not lock, which surprises me because I was at the party for 4 hours and the battery didn't die.
In certain modes, which I can' t don't know which off-hand, the car goes into a self-protective mode as battery charge fades and will shutdown.
Old 10-24-11, 09:57 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
There's more to it than that on the RX. Approaching the vehicle with the FOB will not unlock it by itself, you still have to touch your fingers inside the door handle.
You are correct, you have to reach into the door handle for it to unlock.
Old 10-24-11, 10:28 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is true that if I lock the doors with the remote, it will not allow me to just touch the door handle and unlock the car. I have to use the remote to unlock the car. I'll have to try again to make sure that's what's happening. And, yes, I stopped carrying the extra fob in my purse a couple of months ago. It was really just out of habit from driving my previous vehicles, in case I locked a key inside the cars, then I had my spare key with me.
Old 10-25-11, 05:31 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's confusing on the RX until you get used to it. Touching the indent on the handle locks it, but you have to touch your fingers to the 'inside' of the handle when you go through the open and pull handle procedure to unlock it. It's very natural actually and works well. If you do this, you shouldn't have to use the remote to unlock it.

If there are still issues then it's time to bring them to the service dept to correct.
Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
It is true that if I lock the doors with the remote, it will not allow me to just touch the door handle and unlock the car. I have to use the remote to unlock the car. I'll have to try again to make sure that's what's happening. And, yes, I stopped carrying the extra fob in my purse a couple of months ago. It was really just out of habit from driving my previous vehicles, in case I locked a key inside the cars, then I had my spare key with me.
Old 10-25-11, 01:13 PM
jamiec
Driver

@Batmobile......if you lock the doors with your key fob or by pressing the spot on the handle your doors will be locked. You can't check to see if they are locked while having the fob close to the car because it will unlock the door when you touch the handle. Walk away from the car and have someone try to open the door. I was a little confused at the begining as well. You just can't check to see if the doors are locked with the fob in close proximity.
Old 10-25-11, 08:12 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamiec
@Batmobile......if you lock the doors with your key fob or by pressing the spot on the handle your doors will be locked. You can't check to see if they are locked while having the fob close to the car because it will unlock the door when you touch the handle. Walk away from the car and have someone try to open the door. I was a little confused at the begining as well. You just can't check to see if the doors are locked with the fob in close proximity.
Okay well this makes total sense then as to why I thought I couldn't lock the doors. Because I was in a sketchy neighborhood, I tried to test the handle which I hadn't done before and thus did not know could not be done. Thanks for clearing that up, I'm sure that's why this happened. This forum is great for asking these questions that only other RX owners would know.
Old 10-25-11, 08:43 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's confusing on the RX until you get used to it. Touching the indent on the handle locks it, but you have to touch your fingers to the 'inside' of the handle when you go through the open and pull handle procedure to unlock it. It's very natural actually and works well. If you do this, you shouldn't have to use the remote to unlock it.

If there are still issues then it's time to bring them to the service dept to correct.
I'll have to ask my service tech the next time I go in for service. Definitely, when I lock the door from the inside lock, it will work when I touch the outside handle to unlock the vehicle, but has not worked if I lock the vehicle with the key fob.
Old 10-26-11, 08:21 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

You can lock your car EVEN if you have one remote inside the car; however, you MUST use the key fob and you might have to push it twice. I have not tried that with the mechanically key (the one that you put into the outside slot at the door handle). When I travel with my spouse, she often leaves her purse with keys inside the car so I have to lock the car using my remote.

If you want to check whether your car is locked or not you can test that on the REAR doors handles since they don't have sensors on the rear doors. If you want to check that on either the driver or passenger front door handles then please throw you remote at least 10 feet away before touching the handles (remember to pick the remote up).
Old 10-26-11, 08:53 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
You can lock your car EVEN if you have one remote inside the car; however, you MUST use the key fob and you might have to push it twice. I have not tried that with the mechanically key (the one that you put into the outside slot at the door handle). When I travel with my spouse, she often leaves her purse with keys inside the car so I have to lock the car using my remote.

If you want to check whether your car is locked or not you can test that on the REAR doors handles since they don't have sensors on the rear doors. If you want to check that on either the driver or passenger front door handles then please throw you remote at least 10 feet away before touching the handles (remember to pick the remote up).
GoHuskers, I did confirm earlier this evening that that must be why I was not able to unlock the doors without using the remote. It had to do with the extra key fob being in the car. Remember, when I stated before that sometimes I would run into the store with only my wallet and my key fob, but at the time I was leaving the extra fob in my purse, which I would put on the floorboard of the backseat. Thus, the only way the Lexus would let me lock the door was by using the remote because it was sensing the other key fob. I had to use the remote to unlock the door on these occasions, not by touching the door handle. I stopped carrying the extra key fob in my purse a few months ago and did not realize until tonight that I can touch the door handle now to unlock even though I locked it with the fob.
But, thanks, GoHuskers for pointing this out, because it helps solve the mystery!

There's a reason Lexus calls it "Smart Access". It truly is amazing technology!! LOL!
Old 10-27-11, 08:15 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
It locked but quickly unlocked. Very strange. I wonder if maybe I left it in accessory mode by mistake? But then after 4 hours wouldn't the batter be dead?
The accessory mode turns off automatically after 10-15 minutes and a message is displayed which says that it is turning off so the battery doesn't go flat. I know this from waiting on my wife while she shops. I have to keep turning the accessory mode back on to keep listening to the stereo.
Old 10-27-11, 08:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That's strange, mine stays on in accessory mode. I get to work early to avoid the traffic and listen to music before heading in. It hasn't turned off on me yet. I have to cycle through to turn it off.

Quick Reply: Door would not lock