RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kwbuggy
I hope that some US RX owners take the Cambridge, Ontario plant tour that Lexus offers. After taking this tour in October I can't see how human errors can enter into the manufacture of our RXs. Almost all of the heavy work is done by robots, imported from Japan, and the work done by humans is very closely inspected throughout the process, often by QC staff from Japan. JD Power ranks both the Canadian and Japanese plants the highest in the world. Any design flaws, such as the firmer ride of the 3rd generation, are the same on cars from either plant. Rattles have many causes, including all the junk some people stuff in their cars. I can't see how one plant could make cars that rattle more than the other when both of them are using exactly the same machinery and processes to manufacture them.
I could see where components and suppliers could make a difference on any given item. I don't know this for a fact, but it would surprise me if the the machinery and processes were the same in both the Canadian and Japanese plants. I do agree that the goal of both plants would be to produce a product of equivalent quality. When shopping for a new car, I don't remember noticing any differences between the RX 350's and RX 450h's that I was looking at; even on something as noticeable as the paint finish.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-16-11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 11:26 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think that any one of us has any real information about the differences in vehicles that originate in Canada or Japan. It is a very interesting and technical topic. I am sure that there are differences, I just don't know how anyone would collect the data to understand the differences. Even on a simple, visible component like the tires on the car, I don't think we know the story by country. In the video on the Canadian plant, it said that the RX350 engines were shipped to the plant fully assembled from WEST VIRGINIA. To me this is a good illustration about how little we know about our cars. That is OK with me, because I feel it is Lexus' job to get the vehicle right no matter where it is built.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-16-11 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 05:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The reputation of Toyota and it's Lexus division are at stake with with every news story about their customer satisfaction surveys, recalls, etc. That being said all of us that have had multiple models built from different plants will have preferences over where we want our next one built. I'm no different. All my past Lexus models have been great but the ones that seemed to be screwed together better than others were built in Japan. So I naturally have a bias for wanting another one from there. Others will have the same experience re: Canadian built cars. I think all the plants are probably constructed and operated using the same quality control model and you can provide worker incentives to build them as perfect as possible but there will still be some minor differences. The good news is that Lexus (and Toyota) are building some of the best cars available for the money no matter which plant they come from.

Originally Posted by UCSB
I don't think that any one of us has any real information about the differences in vehicles that originate in Canada or Japan. It is a very interesting and technical topic. I am sure that there are differences, I just don't know how anyone would collect the data to understand the differences. Even on a simple, visible component like the tires on the car, I don't think we know the story by country. In the video on the Canadian plant, it said that the RX350 engines were shipped to the plant fully assembled from WEST VIRGINIA. To me this is a good illustration about how little we know about our cars. That is OK with me, because I feel it is Lexus' job to get the vehicle right no matter where it is built.

Last edited by Cruiter; 11-17-11 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-11, 06:43 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Video

Here is a longer version of the Factory Made video.

http://www.ovguide.com/video/factory...1160b668525237
Old 11-17-11, 05:45 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent video, thank you! Totally fascinating.
Old 07-23-12, 03:26 PM
TLeih
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Can anyone comment on any built quality differences between RXs assembled in Japan and RXs assembled in Canada? Are the quality controls exactly the same between Japan and Canada?
We have a 2008 RX 350 built in Canada. There is a difference between a Canadian build and a Japan build in the front brake rotors. The hub diameter differs by .01". This difference will roughly double the cost of after market rotors. The larger diameter should fit all, but do you really want to do this? There may be small differences in other parts. The cost of the rotors at the dealer is about the same. As far as build quality goes, we have lost an AC compressor and the sun roof makes annoying sqeeks and chirps (sometimes) depending on the temperature.
Old 07-23-12, 04:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been a while since I've visited here, but just to add to previous posters' comments, the Hybrid is indeed made in Japan, but so is the RX 350 Sport Edition.

That's the one with the 19" dark silver painted wheels, and the HUD among others, etc...
Old 07-23-12, 05:44 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I firmly believe the robots used in Canada are just as good as the ones in Japan.
Old 07-24-12, 08:13 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can tell you from my own experience I owned both a Canadian built 2010 RX and now a Japanese built 2010 RX 350 and the ride like different cars. The quality of the Japanese surpasses the Canadian even in the way the car rides.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quatro40:
Robb79 (03-08-21), Seabone726 (04-10-20)
Old 07-24-12, 05:52 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default A Propos the Topic of This Thread

Here's a new press release:

Toyota to Expand Lexus RX Production in Canada

Coming soon: RX 450h models made in Canada.
Old 07-24-12, 05:54 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Tires?

Originally Posted by Quatro40
I can tell you from my own experience I owned both a Canadian built 2010 RX and now a Japanese built 2010 RX 350 and the ride like different cars. The quality of the Japanese surpasses the Canadian even in the way the car rides.
Out of curiousity, I have to ask: what brand tires were on each of the two cars?
Old 07-25-12, 12:28 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Windshields are different between Canadian and Japanese builds. Along with the brake rotor difference noted above, I think it's fair to assume these are not identical cars.

If I had a choice, I would pick the Japanese build. However about 90% of the RX350's in my area are from Canada so that choice is moot.
Old 07-25-12, 12:40 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

i too believe that the quality of the Canadian built RX is subpar compare to the Japanese ones. I recently realized that the trim panel on both the driver and passenger front side does not align or flush so the gap totally looks uneven...i took it back to the dealership and complained about it and they took some pics and said they will submit to corporate and see whether they will cover the cost..in addition, i experience rattling in the back seat, like many other owners do and they can't fix the problem yet....going forward, i don't think i will buy another lexus that is not made in japan...
Old 07-25-12, 05:13 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Canadian one had Bridgestones and the Japanese one has the Dunlops that come with the hybrid version.
Old 07-25-12, 09:11 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

i prefer the Rx350 thats built in Japan over the one in Canada.
The following users liked this post:
Robb79 (03-08-21)

Quick Reply: Built Quality Difference Between Japan and Canada