RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Walked into a restaurant and forgot to turn the car off

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 08:40 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Walked into a restaurant and forgot to turn the car off

I don't know, this whole no-key thing is messing me up. I have to admit I was a bit distracted, my friend was following me and we were meeting two others, my mind was not too clear but I apparently forgot to push the button to shut off the engine. And the car is so quiet I could not hear it. I pressed the lock button on the key fob, thinking the car is locked and we walk in to the place and a lady behind us says, "I think you forgot to turn your car off." How embarrassing, this is going to take some getting used to.
Old 10-13-11, 10:12 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I purchased my 450h, I lurked here for almost 6 months prior to registering. The info I gained here was one of the reasons I was confident in my decision. I also read alot at Lexus insider and some other websites. One of the articles I found interesting was on someone who was having starting thier car. The man who wrote the article mentioned that although the push button start takes some getting used to, it is far more common, that people walk away and leave the car running.

Dont feel bad, many have done it before, and when I take delivery of mine... oh the clock goes sooooo slow, I am sure I will do it as well.
Old 10-13-11, 10:48 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at the bright side. You'll never lock the keys inside the car. Let other drivers worry about that one.
Be attentive to the number of beeps when you close the door.
Old 10-14-11, 03:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Just imagine if you had the 450h Talk about quiet.

Don't worry, we've all done it. The best thing to do is to stick to a routine similar to when you had your old car with keys. The RX won't let you lock it if it's on. Also, when you open the door with the RX on or in accessory mode, it will beep at you. Ideally you want to turn everything off, close the moon roof, windows, et al. before you do. You'll get used to it

P.S. keep the key fob in a safe place to avoid opening all the windows and moon roof by accident.

Last edited by kitlz; 10-14-11 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 04:28 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Too funny. We just had an episode of this very thing with our 450 last night. I met my wife and son at a local restaurant for dinner last night and they arrived in the RX. Well, i got out of my car and she and my son got out of the RX and we all turned to go inside when she tried to lock the RX.....beep beep beep. Tried again.....beep beep beep. So now, we're all opening and closing all the doors including the back door thinking a door must be open or the car would lock. Having closed and opened all the doors, she goes to lock the car again and, you guessed it...beep beep beep.

Then, I looked closely at the car and realized the dash lights were still on so the car was still "running". She had forgotten to turn it off. "Running" is sort of misnomer in a 450 because you can't hear that it's on at all; it's dead silent. As we're walking into the restaurant, my charming teenage son announces "I hope nobody I know saw us all opening and closing every door; it would SO embarrassing". Me too!
Old 10-14-11, 04:41 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that at the end of my test drive last week. The sales rep tried to make up some excuses to reduce my embrassment.
Old 10-14-11, 04:47 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never done that, wasn't there, didn't do it, nobody saw me
Originally Posted by MichaelPea
Too funny. We just had an episode of this very thing with our 450 last night. I met my wife and son at a local restaurant for dinner last night and they arrived in the RX. Well, i got out of my car and she and my son got out of the RX and we all turned to go inside when she tried to lock the RX.....beep beep beep. Tried again.....beep beep beep. So now, we're all opening and closing all the doors including the back door thinking a door must be open or the car would lock. Having closed and opened all the doors, she goes to lock the car again and, you guessed it...beep beep beep.

Then, I looked closely at the car and realized the dash lights were still on so the car was still "running". She had forgotten to turn it off. "Running" is sort of misnomer in a 450 because you can't hear that it's on at all; it's dead silent. As we're walking into the restaurant, my charming teenage son announces "I hope nobody I know saw us all opening and closing every door; it would SO embarrassing". Me too!
Old 10-14-11, 09:08 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left a loaner GS350 running while I went in a convenience store to prepay for $5 worth of gas. Talking about feeling stupid. It was in a bad part of town also.
Old 10-14-11, 10:04 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

any sort of beeping will give you a message on the screen in the instrument cluster. that is the first place you should look
Old 10-14-11, 11:46 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

For me, never left the engine on, but have left keys in the car. when try to lock the doors, it starts to beep, can't miss it.
Old 10-14-11, 07:07 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Just today I drove up our driveway and set the emerg brake however I tried to shut off the RX while it was still in drive. A message came on the screen telling me I had to put it in park before shutting it down. I guess there is a first time for everyone with the RX.
Tell us about your first time experience with the RX.
Cheers.
Jim
Old 10-14-11, 10:34 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way is if you have the steering wheel/ seat set to retract. It won't retract if the car is running. Very noticeable when trying to exit. Works for me.
Old 10-16-11, 04:05 PM
micox48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one that had a "moment". There are so many different options with the remote. Who knew you had to press unlock quickly twice to open all the doors. Click unlock once and it only opens the driver side. I only had my car a few days, still floating on clouds.... went to the cleaners, got my clothes, click the unlock button and could not get into the back door. I must've stood there and click that unlock button a hundred times wondering WTH. A guy comes out the cleaners, annoyed at me making a fool out of myself and says, "one chirp means lock, two chirps mean unlock". While he thought that was helpful it was not. I eventually just unlocked the door from the drivers side. It took me about a week, and actually reading the manual, to figure out the many different combinations from the remote..... Every time I think about that day however I just want to die! LOL Oh well, still love my car.

P.S. I'm also glad I didn't hold the button to make all the doors unlock and the windows roll down all at once....
Old 10-17-11, 07:55 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

On day shortly after getting our 2001 RX, my wife came home from work one 90 degree day as red as a beet. I asked, " What is the matter? Is the air conditioning not working?" Her response was "I just enjoy the heat" To which I replied, " You don't know how to turn it on do you?" "No, she replied. Show me how to do it." That is when I said, "No, just read the manual." When all else fails, reading the manual is always a good idea. If fact, that should be the first this you do with any new car. Read the manual!!
Old 10-17-11, 10:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ lol

I am not sure if it is a thing with a lot of people, but just yesterday my better half was fiddling with the audio system via remote touch. She tries to change CDs but clicks on the track list instead. I say, you can change it there on the nav screen (pointing at the correct spot) or click these hard buttons on the dash. To which she says, I get so confused when we have so many different cars...

I dont know why people are memorizing the location of buttons. That makes life so much harder. They need to learn to read the meaning on the button such that if you go into a car you have never been in before, you can still use all the functions of it. Just open your eyes, and read the symbols on the buttons!

Quick Reply: Walked into a restaurant and forgot to turn the car off