RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 07:00 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Temperature

Where in this vehicle does it show the current cabin temperature? I don't mean the AC/heating temperature setting. I mean the current cabin temperature. I see current outside temperature in the middle of the dash but what about the current cabin temperature? It would be nice to know the temperature difference between the current AC/heating temperature setting and the actual cabin temperature.
Old 10-12-11, 09:59 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The "room" temperature is not displayed in the RX.
Old 10-13-11, 05:58 AM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They should include cabin temperature
Old 10-13-11, 07:24 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Don't actually know of a car that tells you that kind of info....probably Maybach or Bentley?!

In any case, if there's a temp you want you can have it. Use the AUTO feature on your climate control.
The car will do it's thing (heat or a/c) to get you to that temp soonest and then will throttle back to maintain it.
Old 10-13-11, 07:43 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Lexus probably did that to avoid the complaints that the actual temperature doesn't match the set temperature. This would particularly be a problem in a 450h in ECO mode when climate control is altered.
Old 10-13-11, 07:47 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Don't actually know of a car that tells you that kind of info....probably Maybach or Bentley?!

In any case, if there's a temp you want you can have it. Use the AUTO feature on your climate control.
The car will do it's thing (heat or a/c) to get you to that temp soonest and then will throttle back to maintain it.
Your comment is the reason that I prefer a cabin temperature reading because I found that the same AC/heating temperature setting feels a lot different between cooling and heating modes. For example, on a hot day, I set and maintain my temperature to 78 degrees (in auto mode) and I feel comfortable at that setting; however, with the same temperature setting on a cold day, wearing the same amout of cloth, I feel very hot and I had to lower the temperature down to 72 degrees (in auto mode) to achieve the same level of comfort as on a hot day set at 78 degrees.
Old 10-13-11, 07:50 AM
lalin
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
Where in this vehicle does it show the current cabin temperature? I don't mean the AC/heating temperature setting. I mean the current cabin temperature. I see current outside temperature in the middle of the dash but what about the current cabin temperature? It would be nice to know the temperature difference between the current AC/heating temperature setting and the actual cabin temperature.
No inside temperature, but in another Lexus stroke of "genius", you get TWO outside temperatures!

Another gripe I have with the RX LCD info displays is the scale for the instant miles per gallon. It goes all the way to a meaningless 90 mpg with little or no detail on the useful range. Why not make it 0 to say 40? In my RX it could even be 0 to 20 as in city driving I get no more that 12 mpg...
Old 10-13-11, 08:19 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Your comment is the reason that I prefer a cabin temperature reading because I found that the same AC/heating temperature setting feels a lot different between cooling and heating modes. For example, on a hot day, I set and maintain my temperature to 78 degrees (in auto mode) and I feel comfortable at that setting; however, with the same temperature setting on a cold day, wearing the same amout of cloth, I feel very hot and I had to lower the temperature down to 72 degrees (in auto mode) to achieve the same level of comfort as on a hot day set at 78 degrees.
Sounds like you personally are more sensitive to the "temperature differential" between outside/inside than an actual "specific " temperature.

Suggest then you buy a small portable digital thermometer to leave in the car. That's gonna be your only answer.
Old 10-13-11, 08:43 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Sounds like you personally are more sensitive to the "temperature differential" between outside/inside than an actual "specific " temperature.

Suggest then you buy a small portable digital thermometer to leave in the car. That's gonna be your only answer.
The only question I am trying to acertain is the following:

Doesn't the RX have the capabiity to maintain a same cabin temperature to the climate control temperature setting in the auto mode regardless of whether it needs to run on cooling mode (on a hot day) or heating mode (on a cold day) to reach the set target temperature? If the answer is yes, then my 2011 RX is not performing as such.
Old 10-13-11, 10:12 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that when you are cooling with the air conditioning you are removing moisture and evaporating from the skin. It is the same in a house. You come from outside where the temp is say 90 and your air is set at 78 and it feels comfortable. If you set your furnace for 78 in the winter then it would feel hot. At least it would for me.

I think this is normal due to the evaporative effect of the skin. Put a themometer in the car and see if 78 is really 78 on both heat and air conditioning. Let us know.
Old 10-13-11, 10:44 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The answer is probably supposed to be YES, however your right, it does not do as well as it could. My 03RX did a much better job of keeping the temp set. However it's not hard at all to change the temp left or right side. Just push the button and yell at the ready servant and tell them it's too hot or it's too cold ,
The only question I am trying to acertain is the following:

Doesn't the RX have the capabiity to maintain a same cabin temperature to the climate control temperature setting in the auto mode regardless of whether it needs to run on cooling mode (on a hot day) or heating mode (on a cold day) to reach the set target temperature? If the answer is yes, then my 2011 RX is not performing as such.
Old 10-13-11, 04:26 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I feel this in our home temp settings too. In the summer, I put 73ºF AC and it's comfortable, but during winter, putting it on 73ºF heat and it's colder than the temp in summer so I had to raise it up to 75ºF of heat to where it's comfortable. .
Old 10-13-11, 07:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

If you want to know the science of temperature, Google psychometric chart. A little less scientific explanation is perception. Everyone perceives temperature differently. Ask a room full of people what the temperature in a room is and you will get answers plus and minus several degrees from actual.

I agree the climate control in an RX is less than ideal, but voice commands do work fine to raise or lower the temperature.
Old 10-16-11, 09:26 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to know the inside temperature where are you going to measure it? A car interior's temperature varies all over the place, it's not like the stationary thermostat on your wall at home. Ideally you would want to know the temperature around your head, so how is that done? There are just too many variables to accurately show the temperature accurately.