RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hand-washing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 11:16 PM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand-washing.

Hi: I love my new Lexus. Matador Red. Went with Zurich Shield. Should I use special care when I hand wash the car? Can I wipe it down with cotton towels and paper towels? Any risk of scratching? Or should I have it professionally washed only? Thanks. Mark
Old 08-10-11, 11:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Mark. The best thing you can do is buy yourself a nice set of microfiber towels. They widely range in quality but it depends how much of a stickler you are on scratches on the paint. I use a microfiber wash mitt, exactly this:

http://www.amazon.com/Viking-Long-Pi...3044974&sr=8-6

the soap I use is Meguiars Gold Class.

Then I use a waffle weave drying microfiber towel, exactly this:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Also be sure to use the two bucket method, one to rinse the mitt before getting more suds from the "clean" bucket.

These are just my own amateur methods and habits, I am sure others will prescribe better ideas. We also have a detailing sub forum that you might want to take a look at.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

Professional hand wash places will most likely scratch your paint anyways since their towels are usually not clean and they constantly resuse them. The trick is not to wash the car in circles, that will cause the swirls. Move your hand horizontally across the car
Old 08-11-11, 05:42 AM
jblazing
Driver School Candidate

What about interiors? It seems like the forum likes 303 Aerospace for protectant and Leatherique for cleaning. Is that correct?

I assume you would clean when required (or before using protectant) and use the protectant every 4 months or so. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-11, 06:36 AM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Default Hand-washing.

Thanks, everyone! That's just what I wanted to know. This forum is great! Mark
Old 08-11-11, 07:04 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the microfiber mitt and towels, they are very important. DO NOT use paper towels and if you want to use a cotton towel, make sure it is clean and fresh.

I use the microfiber to hand wash and then a chamois to dry it. The chamois works great just keep it clean.

After washing I use Meguiars Spray Detailer and then their spray wax This two step process takes only about twenty minutes tops. It's very easy to do.

Each spring and fall, I use a more durable wax rather than the spray wax. It's a lot more durable. I use this. Once a year I "clay" the car too. Again, Meguiars sells a package with two clay bars, a detailer spray (that you use in conjunction with the clay) and a spray wax. Spray the detailer on a small area and then rub the clay against the surface and the clay will pick up all the nasty stuff sticking to your car like tree sap, bird crap, etc. You will not believe how smooth the surface is after you clay it. It is smooth as silk.
I am a big fan of the Meguiar products. They work very well and for top of the line stuff are very reasonably priced.

Bob

PS, I have a 2010 Matador Red too, and after 45 minutes with the above process you will not believe how nice it will look. After detailing like this people stop me in the parking lot to tell me how great the car looks.

Last edited by RVH; 08-11-11 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added PS