RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3M Protection Film...Full Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 12:28 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Protection Film...Full Body

I'm creating this thread, to the responses I was getting from this other thread,
RX Door Edge Guards. I didn't want to steal the thread away.

I'm having the whole car done, from personal experience. Having a roof rack, I know I'll be throwing and removing things up there. I'm 5'6 and not very strong, so I foresee scratches on the roof. The doors, hood, and front bumper or obvious. The rear bumper is also from personal experience. I bowl and put equipment in and out of the vehicle. I also drive a PT Cruiser, which has a rear lift gate that is lower in height compared to the RX, and much easier to put my equipment in/out of the vehicle. The bumper on the PT has TONS of scratches. Yes, the PT bumper also has a rubber bumper guard, but the scratches end up on the bumper, by the bumper guard. I'm covering the door sills and pillars on the RX, which probably isn't necessary, but were just minor costs, so I had those done as well.

My car is tungsten pearl, so if the film got so bad, that it changed color and was noticeable, then I could probably easily replace that portion. Compared to not having any film and having to repaint that part. Replacing film, minor costs and I can wait a few hours and I can drive the car immediately. You can't do that if you had to repaint, even a small portion of it.

My car is being done it 2 phases, since the shop I go to is really busy during the week with dealer cars, which leaves the weekend for regular customers.

Sorry for some water spots in some of the photos. It rained and wiped off as much as I could. I missed a few.

EDIT:
Total cost for 3M installtion: $5000
Covers: Full hood, Front/Rear bumper, All doors, door sills, fenders, roof, front/rear pillars.

Last edited by ecub; 08-13-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 12:29 PM
ecub
Driver

As you can see, they wrapped up a portion of the door handle. The door is completely done and wraps around the edge. The door handles were removed, therefore, the cups for the handles have been done. The ends of the film were tucked underneath the door handle and door. Even from up close, you can't tell that there's any protection film on the door.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Protection Film...Full Body-img_6974.jpg  

Last edited by ecub; 08-07-11 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 12:29 PM
ecub
Driver

Here's how the edge of the rear door looks, near the hinge. You could kind of see the seem. I don't know why they couldn't completely wrap the film around. I actually do, and he told me, but I forgot.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Protection Film...Full Body-img_6975.jpg  

Last edited by ecub; 08-07-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 12:30 PM
ecub
Driver

This is the only crappy job, due to the molding I put on. They couldn't remove the molding and place it back on, because he had mentioned that there is a kind of clip, that would break off if they did. So they just had to make a seam, where the piece comes together. Up close, it looks crappy, but from a normal distance, it doesn't look bad.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Protection Film...Full Body-img_6976.jpg  

Last edited by ecub; 08-07-11 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 02:40 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to add some photographs of the work you've had done. I will be fascinated by your stories of the "care and feeding" of this material over the up and coming months.

Thanks again,
Old 08-07-11, 02:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for sharing. must be expensive to add film to the entire car
Old 08-07-11, 05:26 PM
ecub
Driver

Here's a closeup of the door handle. You can see the seem. The whole door has been done and actually tucked the seem in between the door and handle. The door handle cup was covered as well. I'm not sure how they did it, since it looks like one piece. I'm assuming they just used a heat gun to stretch in into place.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Protection Film...Full Body-img_6967.jpg  
Old 08-07-11, 05:28 PM
ecub
Driver

Here's a closeup of the door. The left is the driver door. You can see that the film was wrapped around the edge of the door. They didn't wrap the film around the driver rear door where the hinge is at. Though the did wrap the film where the door opens, just like the driver door.
Attached Thumbnails 3M Protection Film...Full Body-img_6968.jpg  

Last edited by ecub; 08-07-11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-07-11, 05:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, that must have been expensive. That definitely changes the game plan with washing and waxing.

Oh I forgot to add, I believe Johnny in BC did the same to his RX. I haven't seen him post to find out how it's holding up.
Old 08-07-11, 05:49 PM
ecub
Driver

You can wash and wax as usual. Just have to keep an eye on the seems as the wax can build up there.
Old 08-07-11, 05:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yep, except you have seams everywhere You'll have to tape up. I've used clay and Klasse AIO on the clear bra. Haven't tried Plexus yet.
Old 08-07-11, 05:57 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Why would you need to wax? You are already providing paint protection. The clear coating probably will provide some uv protection as well.
Old 08-08-11, 07:27 AM
djkidkris
Driver

According to my service writer and installer, the protective film should be maintained as you would maintain the car's paint. The protective film is not immune to contaminants or fine scratches. After a proper wash or full detail I find by waxing it the film is easier to maintain in between washes. Dead bugs, sap, or tar easily wipes off with quick detailer and these things can stain the film which would not be covered by my warranty. I think by adding the additional coat of protection the film's integrity lasts longer. I don't mind doing so since I'm newly addicted detailing and keeping my car clean anyways haha.
Old 08-08-11, 09:05 AM
coverchian
Driver School Candidate

Could the price be known? cost and benefit balance? Any idea? will be very interesting to learn.
Old 08-08-11, 09:32 AM
ecub
Driver

I updated my 1st post with the price.

Quick Reply: 3M Protection Film...Full Body