RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3M Protection Film...Full Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 05:11 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i definitely understand where ecub is coming from. i'm learning the hard way unfortunately; i didn't think i needed clear bra for my GS450h - ding! rock chips on my hood and front bumper. thank goodness for insurance coverage, paid $200 deductible and got a 2 stage paint job on my front bumper/hood that would have costed me over $2,800 if i had to pay for the paint job myself. now i'm waiting for the paint to cure (3 weeks), then i'm going to add a full hood and front bumper clear bra.
Old 08-12-11, 06:02 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what product(s) do you recommend using to wash and wax a car with clear bra?
Car wash --- any quality product should be fine.

Wax - avoid using anything that has colour pigment.

Some products such as Ventureshield recommend you to use Plexus but on the other hand, I was told that Plexus may be one of the culprits for yellowing. So to avoid confusion, I always use wax without colour pigment.
Old 08-12-11, 06:52 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! $3400 protection for an RX! WOW!
Old 08-12-11, 07:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by AndyL
Car wash --- any quality product should be fine.

Wax - avoid using anything that has colour pigment.

Some products such as Ventureshield recommend you to use Plexus but on the other hand, I was told that Plexus may be one of the culprits for yellowing. So to avoid confusion, I always use wax without colour pigment.
ok, thanks

Originally Posted by redrocks
WOW! $3400 protection for an RX! WOW!
we all have our poison we splurge on
Old 08-12-11, 07:15 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Cheaper to just keep it in the garage. LOL
Old 08-12-11, 11:50 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheaper to just keep it in the garage. LOL
True. That way, I could stop the insurance, not pay for gas, and no more oil changes and maintenance expenses. But of course, then why buy a $60k+ car?
Old 08-13-11, 04:22 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecub
True. That way, I could stop the insurance, not pay for gas, and no more oil changes and maintenance expenses. But of course, then why buy a $60k+ car?
Why buy a $60k+ vehicle if you're going to worry about little dings/dents?
Old 08-13-11, 07:53 AM
ecub
Driver

Why buy a $60k+ vehicle if you're going to worry about little dings/dents?
I don't anymore, since I have the protection film.

I know one thing for sure. Even if I don't bother maintaining the protection film after 5 years or so and it looks stained, faded, and colored. I know I could spend about (maybe) 30 minutes and rip it all off and have my car looking brand new again, without spending a dime.
Old 08-13-11, 04:56 PM
ecub
Driver

The car is finally done. The cost for the 2nd half (roof, rear lift back, rear pillars) was $1600. Total costs, $5000. I updated my original post.
Old 08-13-11, 04:57 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by pjp98z
Actually, this is not true.

1. Plexus is a no-no.
2. Steer clear of any products containing petroleum distillates like kerosene, naptha, zylene, or toluene. These are common in many of today's synthetic waxes, detailers, and bug & tar removers. These products will dry out urethane films, open up the pores, and turn your clear bra into a dirt sponge. Once this happens you'll likely see yellowing and discoloration.

Check with the manufacturer for the best care practices and products (many of them have urethane-specific care products). Even though the film looks like paint, it's composition is much different, so it will requitre different chemicals to care for it (think armor-all on your tires).

With the right care, paint protection film can last 5-10 years and look better than your paint.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I work for a film manufacturer).
Why not use Plexus? My installer highly recommends it and also uses it. He had several cans and even gave me one. I also did a Google Search and Plexus is recommended for 3M protection film.

Last edited by ecub; 08-13-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 03:47 AM
stw2046
Driver

I figure I am better off going with my insurance which I just did. I have multiple coatings of sealants and waxes too. This way my car can maintain that sharp look at all times. Nice work tho!
Old 08-14-11, 09:43 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecub
Why not use Plexus? My installer highly recommends it and also uses it. He had several cans and even gave me one. I also did a Google Search and Plexus is recommended for 3M protection film.
Plexus has Butane in it which will burn out the film and cause premature yellowing. Plesux was originally made for hard plastics... not polyurethane. This has been tested recently... so a lot of the installers that do not stay up with the industry dont know yet. You want to avoid anything petroleum based...
Old 08-14-11, 10:37 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well we heard what not to use, how about a list of products to be used. Especially for those of us that have no clue what brand our clear bar is for sure.
Old 08-14-11, 11:46 AM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Well we heard what not to use, how about a list of products to be used. Especially for those of us that have no clue what brand our clear bar is for sure.
I agree. Looked around, saw some people using DP Plex-All and even Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal clear bra. DP is a little cheaper than Plexus and Zaino's expensive at about $20/16 oz. I've also seen XPEL PPF Sealant ($20/16oz), contains dyes and haven't seen much talk on forum searches. Unfortunately, out of all the searches, Plexus still seems highly talked about and used. But would still like to know other alternatives.

Last edited by ecub; 08-14-11 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 12:10 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

LOL.....Zaino is expensive??? after spending $5000 to shrink-wrap your car? The key words with Zaino, and it can't be stressed enough, is "USE SPARINGLY". It says it all over every one of their bottles of product.

Quick Reply: 3M Protection Film...Full Body