RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3M Protection Film...Full Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 12:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

What kind of warranty did you get with the 3M film, ecub? Wow on the price. And you're not done yet.
Old 08-08-11, 04:16 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, so total should be 5K, i guess. Hmmmmm good investment or not depends on my pockets.
Old 08-08-11, 10:13 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my research and all have positive feed backs with the protection film. It takes allot to mark up the protection film. Less so with out it. As I mentioned earlier, I plan to use the roof rack, so I can foresee scratches on the top. I bowl and often put my gear in/out of the rear hatch. My PT Cruiser, which has lower access, has allot of scratches on the bumper. Even having to repair (buff, paint, etc.) the bumper would cost allot more than just to replace the protection film.

So it does take allot out of my pocket, but I think it's a good investment (for me), especially for a car that I love.
Old 08-08-11, 10:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that price isnt bad at all. On my C class, I did a full hood and custom front bumper and it came out to a little under $1000
Old 08-10-11, 08:53 PM
pjp98z
Driver School Candidate

Default Clear Bra Care

Originally Posted by ecub
You can wash and wax as usual. Just have to keep an eye on the seems as the wax can build up there.
Actually, this is not true.

1. Plexus is a no-no.
2. Steer clear of any products containing petroleum distillates like kerosene, naptha, zylene, or toluene. These are common in many of today's synthetic waxes, detailers, and bug & tar removers. These products will dry out urethane films, open up the pores, and turn your clear bra into a dirt sponge. Once this happens you'll likely see yellowing and discoloration.

Check with the manufacturer for the best care practices and products (many of them have urethane-specific care products). Even though the film looks like paint, it's composition is much different, so it will requitre different chemicals to care for it (think armor-all on your tires).

With the right care, paint protection film can last 5-10 years and look better than your paint.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I work for a film manufacturer).
Old 08-11-11, 12:48 AM
stw2046
Driver

I thought that would be one of the best approach for paint protection. But do you see any orange peel from the film???(That is the only reason keeping me from doing this)
Old 08-11-11, 07:23 AM
ecub
Driver

The film protection is not for everyone. I'm sure you read a thread here that a person used his vehicle for a move and now has deep scratches on his bumper. I'm sure the same would happen if you put items on the roof rack. I'm sure if they had the film protection, they wouldn't have to worry. The only places I'm worried now is the roof and the rear lift gate, since I don't have film protection on there yet, but by Saturday, I will.
Old 08-11-11, 08:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by pjp98z
These products will dry out urethane films, open up the pores, and turn your clear bra into a dirt sponge. Once this happens you'll likely see yellowing and discoloration.

With the right care, paint protection film can last 5-10 years and look better than your paint.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I work for a film manufacturer).
That is exactly why I have never applied paint film...."yellowing and discoloration". Granted, that wouldn't likely matter on a dark colored car, but still.

Another question...if you have the film on there for 5 years, or whatever, can you pull it off and essentially have a brand new car again? I can't imagine the factory paint changing in any way since there was a later of plastic covering it.

Nice thread...thanks for adding the photos and cost.
Old 08-11-11, 12:36 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidkris
According to my service writer and installer, the protective film should be maintained as you would maintain the car's paint. The protective film is not immune to contaminants or fine scratches. After a proper wash or full detail I find by waxing it the film is easier to maintain in between washes. Dead bugs, sap, or tar easily wipes off with quick detailer and these things can stain the film which would not be covered by my warranty. I think by adding the additional coat of protection the film's integrity lasts longer. I don't mind doing so since I'm newly addicted detailing and keeping my car clean anyways haha.
The information is correct. The film is porous and is susceptible to staining. With proper and regular waxing, the problem is not too bad. The resistance to staining also varies from different brands and grades of the film.

I have all my cars covered with clear bra and they are worth it if you care a lot about stone chips and paint and I install paint protection films as my other business.
Old 08-11-11, 12:37 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ecub
This is the only crappy job, due to the molding I put on. They couldn't remove the molding and place it back on, because he had mentioned that there is a kind of clip, that would break off if they did. So they just had to make a seam, where the piece comes together. Up close, it looks crappy, but from a normal distance, it doesn't look bad.
Ecub, I understand whoever gets film installed is picky. (Me, too!) But the way your installer has done around moulding is not too bad. In fact, from the pictures, they did a great job.

One question for you: do you know if the installer use pre-cut kits on some parts of your car or they cut it by hand? Did they leave some seam around the front bumper?

Thanks
Old 08-11-11, 12:44 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by jtrue28
That is exactly why I have never applied paint film...."yellowing and discoloration". Granted, that wouldn't likely matter on a dark colored car, but still.
i see your point; however i'd rather have yellowing film than no film protection at all. repainting due to rock chips can be very expensive!
Old 08-11-11, 12:47 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by AndyL
The information is correct. The film is porous and is susceptible to staining. With proper and regular waxing, the problem is not too bad. The resistance to staining also varies from different brands and grades of the film.

I have all my cars covered with clear bra and they are worth it if you care a lot about stone chips and paint and I install paint protection films as my other business.
what product(s) do you recommend using to wash and wax a car with clear bra?
Old 08-11-11, 01:08 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i see your point; however i'd rather have yellowing film than no film protection at all. repainting due to rock chips can be very expensive!
Exactly. Also time consuming. You only have to wait a few hours to remove and re-apply film on a door, then drive off with the car the same day. That probably can't be done with repainting.
Old 08-12-11, 07:26 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I get what you all are saying about rock chips. It all depends on driving areas and habits. If you mostly drive in the city at low speeds, you're not going to have that many rock chips....(this is my experience). However, if you're driving 10+ miles a day on interstates/freeways at 60+ MPH, yeah, you're going to get chips if it's not covered...no other way around it.
Old 08-12-11, 09:43 AM
ecub
Driver

I'm sure you ventured out of the city a few times. But being on the city, you could be subject to door scratches as well. If you load stuff in/out of the rear and use the lift gate, then you could be subject to scratches on the bumper. Basically it's insurance. Some people insure their car for every worse scenario, while some people insure it for only what they need, while others (if it were legal) don't bother insuring their car at all.

Quick Reply: 3M Protection Film...Full Body