RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bought a bike rack that attaches to the hitch, but realize there might be a problem

Old 08-05-11, 10:09 AM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a bike rack that attaches to the hitch, but realize there might be a problem

I bought one of those bike racks that attaches to the tow hitch receiver. The bike rack is great, but I notice the only problem is the auto power rear lift gate. I know I can see myself, accidentally pressing the button in the car or remote when the bike rack is back there, then bang. I know the rear lift gate will not continue to open, but I foresee some scratches on the lift gate if I'm not careful. I'm planning to buy those foam pipe insulation pads and placing it on the bike rack, where the lift gate would make contact. I might not wrap the insulation around the bracket, but place the whole thing on one side, doubling the cushion. I'll provide photos, as soon as I get my vehicle back. I'm having the body protection film applied on majority of the vehicle.
Old 08-05-11, 10:18 AM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not disable (pull the fuse?) the power lift gate?
Old 08-05-11, 10:20 AM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just need to disable it, there's a switch open the glove box it's on the top left corner
Old 08-05-11, 10:58 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yep, there is a lock button in the glove box to turn off the auto open feature just for cases like this.
Old 08-05-11, 11:02 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The glove box lock button will solve that problem. Another problem is whether or not you can actually lift the rear gate with the bike rack in place. I usually access trunk items through the rear doors with the seat tilted down.
Old 08-05-11, 09:24 PM
ecub
Driver

I get careless at times and often do things in haste. I know I may forget to turn off the rear gate from the glove compartment

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Another problem is whether or not you can actually lift the rear gate with the bike rack in place. I usually access trunk items through the rear doors with the seat tilted down.
Although I haven't, from looking at it, I know the rear lift gate will not open with the bike rack in the upright position. The bike rack I have, does have a tilt down position, so I can open the rear lift gate.

I do plan to biking with friends and family, so it will be easier to keep gear and equipment in the back, using the rear lift gate to access them.
Old 08-06-11, 06:02 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ecub
I get careless at times and often do things in haste. I know I may forget to turn off the rear gate from the glove compartment.
Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your actions. You can't make life foolproof. If you can't manage your rear hatch than forget the bike hitch method of bike carrying, or accept the possibility of damage through carelessness.
Old 08-06-11, 09:33 PM
ecub
Driver

Of course, but then we shouldn't have pressure sensors for the sunroof or window, because what idiot would want to stick there hand/head in there while it's closing?

I'm looking at what's the worse that could happen. The bike rack is not large, but from the front of the car, you can't really see it there. I can foresee something happening, like someone grabbing my keys and pushing the rear hatch button and not realizing the bike rack is there.

I did protect the bike rack with pipe insulation and tested it out, without the bike rack. I opened the rear lift gate and applied some pressure to resist it from opening. It will take allot of pressure in order for the rear lift gate to not open. It actually closes back up.
Old 08-08-11, 06:30 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

easy solution; it was unintentional at first but when I added hitch extension I can now open the rear gate without moving the bike rack. its perfect since I have to carry four bikes and its a work out when I need something quick out from the back. reason i got the hitch extension was because sometimes the bike tire will touch the bumper and leave a scruff mark/scratch from movement.
Old 08-08-11, 07:03 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The extension sounds good. I have thought about getting (or modifying my existing rack) a tilt down rack. I consider this to be another "miss" by Lexus on the 350 design. The rear gate needs the ability to open the glass separately from the entire gate. But, that's just me....I use my 350 as an SUV, and not just a luxury water bottle carrier
Old 08-08-11, 09:14 PM
ecub
Driver

Yeah, the extension does sound like a good idea.