RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Laundry List of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 07:54 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laundry List of Issues

Just got back from the dealer.

At 27K, my 2010 RX 350 needed these fixed:

1. A driver side view mirror replaced (holding bracket fell off when in use)
2. A steering wheel column was fixed/adjusted to fix the rattling/noise
3. Front rotors surfaced and brake pads replaced (my 105 lb wife's driving in the city I guess is considered an extremely harsh condition)

Issues not addressed:

1. Squeaky gear shift lever - service adviser said need to replace it, but part needed to be ordered, will replace it @ 30K service.
2. Parking brake pedal rubber cover keeps falling off (rubber is too soft)

Add to the above a f ugly scratched up body, at less than 30K, this Lexus looks and performs like a 5 YO car. No wonder they discontinued the color. Still best looking, IMO, just not up close. What a shame.

At this point, every time I hear someone brag about Lexus quality, makes me smirk. Sure, Lexus service is excellent. But the product is NOT.
Old 07-30-11, 08:09 AM
Sandhopper
Rookie

I'll take it off your hands for $15K... ...Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I was hoping to pick up a nice preowed 10 or 11 next year. I just bought an 04 with 112K on it and it is more solid now at 116K than my Malibu was on day one at twice the cost. I hope they can resolve your concerns and that these are first year glitches that can be worked out easily. Good luck.

Last edited by Sandhopper; 07-30-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 03:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All dark colors have 'swirl' issues if not maintained properly, which means using clean, soft towels and never using a car wash with whirling brushes. It's not Lexus' fault that EPA mandates over the years have required softer, less tough, paints to be used. Lexus didn't discontinue this color for that reason, look at all the other dark colors in their lineup, it was dropped for other colors. All car makers do this to freshen the line up. I love the Black Sapphire Pearl.

Sorry to hear about the other issues, we haven't experienced any problems with ours yet.
Old 07-30-11, 06:43 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
All dark colors have 'swirl' issues if not maintained properly, which means using clean, soft towels and never using a car wash with whirling brushes. It's not Lexus' fault that EPA mandates over the years have required softer, less tough, paints to be used. Lexus didn't discontinue this color for that reason, look at all the other dark colors in their lineup, it was dropped for other colors. All car makers do this to freshen the line up. I love the Black Sapphire Pearl.

Sorry to hear about the other issues, we haven't experienced any problems with ours yet.
I am not talking about swirl marks. My car was covered in 'hairline' scratches after only a week of driving - before the first car wash.

I can live with the swirl marks, as I am not willing to become a slave for my car. But having excessive damage to the clear coat on a less than 2 year old luxury car is not acceptable to me. EPA standards or not. The paint is just too soft.

Regarding Black Sapphire Pearl. It was first introduced on RX in 2010. It was discontinued next year. Not something I'd call freshening up.
Old 07-30-11, 09:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
I am not talking about swirl marks. My car was covered in 'hairline' scratches after only a week of driving - before the first car wash.
Then, you must have driven through a construction zone. LoL
The dealer preps the car, before they hand it over to you. Maybe it happened then.
Old 07-30-11, 09:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009

I can live with the swirl marks, as I am not willing to become a slave for my car. But having excessive damage to the clear coat on a less than 2 year old luxury car is not acceptable to me. EPA standards or not. The paint is just too soft.

Regarding Black Sapphire Pearl. It was first introduced on RX in 2010. It was discontinued next year. Not something I'd call freshening up.
Then your dealer didn't prep the car properly when you bought it. It isn't going to develop hairline scratches in a week all by itself unless the dealer put them on the finish during prep. Didn't you check the finish when you picked the car up? They would have evident at that time. Our Black Sapphire Pearl was delivered spotless from the dealer, not a scratch or swirl on it.

It's probably too late but take it up with your dealer and see if he will comp you a finish detail as a goodwill gesture. Failing that spend a bit of money and have a good detailer renew your clear coat.

Black Sapphire Pearl may have been new to the RX in 2010 but has been a staple for other Lexus models since about 2007, most people love the finish. Sorry yours isn't as good as you think it should be. Everything else being equal dark finishes show defects in the clear coat much easier than light colors.
Old 07-31-11, 12:13 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, its always a person that buys the lemon out of the bunch unfortunately.
Old 07-31-11, 12:37 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

If the car sucks that bad sell it. GO out and get a BMW or something else. Make your dealer fix it now and not at the 30k service. Life is tough wear a cup.
Old 07-31-11, 08:46 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billy44bo
If the car sucks that bad sell it. GO out and get a BMW or something else. Make your dealer fix it now and not at the 30k service. Life is tough wear a cup.
I leased the car. I still have about 2 years to go on it (someone else will pick up this "joy" then). I like driving it, for most part, but the soft paint turns me off. Lexus service is excellent, I just feel the car is aging faster than it should, even compared to the past 2 SUVs I leased.

I had less issues with first year, first gen ('01) Acura MDX after 3 years. Both Acuras had some quality issues, both were dark colors, never this much damage to the paint (believe or not, the hairline scratches started appearing simply after highway driving -- maybe NYC air is too dense for LEX ).

I went with Lexus seeking higher quality, and I was unsuccessful. Maybe a Japan-built RX would have fared better. Canadian quality is so-so.

Next time, I am giving American-built BMW a shot (given when the time comes both me and my wife can accept the joystick shifter and red-alert lighting).

I feel this thread is quickly turning into a counselling session. I don't feel my car is a Lemon. I am glad others do not have the same issues. Enjoy your rides and praise the Lexus. My post is not about thwarting off Lexus fans, just sharing ownership experience.
Old 07-31-11, 08:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The paint isn't so soft that it would have scratches in a week... For some reason I don't believe you....

My RX300's paint is still in perfect condition. The RX300 was primarily in New York the first 7 years of it's life, and it still looks fantastic today 11 years from the build date. It still performs like new, and It's more reliable than a brand new BMW.

My brother's RX450h is almost about a year old, and it's paint is still fantastic. Not a single scratch... Not even from a car wash. I wash it myself ( I care more about his car than he cares for it...LoL), never been through a brush car wash. It's actually only been through 1 car wash, and it was brushless. All of the other 500 billion washes were done by me.

Both of these RX's are japan-made, but I'm sure they would be just as reliable if they were made else where.

Getting a BMW is gonna be the worst mistake ever, have fun spending more time in the shop rather than driving it!
Old 07-31-11, 08:59 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
The paint isn't so soft that it would have scratches in a week... For some reason I don't believe you....

My RX300's paint is still in perfect condition. The RX300 was primarily in New York the first 7 years of it's life, and it still looks fantastic today 11 years from the build date. It still performs like new, and It's more reliable than a brand new BMW.

My brother's RX450h is almost about a year old, and it's paint is still fantastic. Not a single scratch... Not even from a car wash. I wash it myself ( I care more about his car than he cares for it...LoL), never been through a brush car wash. It's actually only been through 1 car wash, and it was brushless. All of the other 500 billion washes were done by me.

Both of these RX's are japan-made, but I'm sure they would be just as reliable if they were made else where.

Getting a BMW is gonna be the worst mistake ever, have fun spending more time in the shop rather than driving it!
For some reason I don't care.
Old 07-31-11, 09:22 AM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Yup, this thread deteriorated quickly... So tell me about your childhood... LOL Just kidding... Figured we could use some levity.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your most recent choice. Is there are reason you steered away from the MDX this time. Sounds like you were happy with those Asian builds. Not sure I would jump into a BMW suv at this time. I have heard some major horror stories with the air suspension on the X5's... But they could be isolated instances as well. Good Luck.
Old 07-31-11, 10:02 AM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sandhopper
Yup, this thread deteriorated quickly... So tell me about your childhood... LOL Just kidding... Figured we could use some levity.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your most recent choice. Is there are reason you steered away from the MDX this time. Sounds like you were happy with those Asian builds. Not sure I would jump into a BMW suv at this time. I have heard some major horror stories with the air suspension on the X5's... But they could be isolated instances as well. Good Luck.
Thanks. Everyone can use a hug these days.

I loved both MDXs, always compared them to RX, but each time MDX won hands down. RX was too soft a ride for me. Until 2010s came out. I felt RX deserved a chance.

I could list all likes/dislikes, but there is not point, or need. I may consider MDX as well, if they fix the nose by 2013. Acura's NAVI is far better than Lexus's or BMW's. My wife's partner has 2011 X5 4.8, and so far has no issues with it (other than someone drove into it while parked and damaged the front axle). Air suspension is a rare option, I always try to get mainstream, well equipped. Easy to make a deal, easy to take it back.