RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Door Edge Guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 04:51 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Door Edge Guards

Got an email from Sewells touting factory colored-matched door edge guards for the RX. Looks interesting, so has anybody have an opinion on these edge guards?

Regards, kona44
Old 07-28-11, 05:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Got the e-mail too. Not at that price. I can see it collecting a lot of dirt too.
Old 07-28-11, 05:49 PM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

I ordered them. $65 with the Club Lexus discount.
Old 07-28-11, 06:28 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Got the email as well but not ready to get them yet...
Old 07-29-11, 06:18 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a local detailing shop put 3M clear strips ($39CDN) on my door edges a week or so after getting the car. They are nearly invisible and don't collect dirt. The material is the same stuff as the 3M car bras and it seems very tough. I think an invisible edge guard looks better than a vertical chrome strip which ruins the appearance of the car IMO.
Old 07-29-11, 07:23 AM
djkidkris
Driver

I have the same thing as kwbuggy. It was installed at the same time as my clearbra at the dealership. You can barely see it unless you are up close to the door edges and I've accidentally hit the edge of the door a couple of times against my shovel hanging in my garage. It seems to be doing its job so far.
Old 07-29-11, 08:39 AM
cookie123
Driver School Candidate

I did the 3M Scotchguard all 4 doors and couldn't be happier. They are not clearly visible and offer protections. In addition got for door handle cups too
Old 07-29-11, 12:10 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can i see the pix of the door edges of what you installed at the dealer?
Old 07-30-11, 02:42 PM
djkidkris
Driver

Here are pics of my door guards made of the same material as my clear bra.
Attached Thumbnails RX Door Edge Guards-img_20110729_163439.jpg   RX Door Edge Guards-img_20110729_163505.jpg   RX Door Edge Guards-img_20110729_163444.jpg  
Old 08-06-11, 05:54 PM
kona44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kona44
Got an email from Sewells touting factory colored-matched door edge guards for the RX. Looks interesting, so has anybody have an opinion on these edge guards?

Regards, kona44
Thanks to all who responded to my thread. I decided to go the clear-film route. IMHO, my take is that all these after market items look great individually, but collectively your car starts looking like a JC Whitney fitted-out car. I know, I did it on my parents 50 Ford; maybe thats why they brought a new car.

Regards, kona44
Old 08-06-11, 06:24 PM
jblazing
Driver School Candidate

Is the edge guard purely to protect your door when opening it from hitting something or is there another purpose?
Old 08-06-11, 07:41 PM
ecub
Driver

I just had my whole door done. They wrapped the protection film, around the edge.

Originally Posted by jblazing
Is the edge guard purely to protect your door when opening it from hitting something or is there another purpose?
It will protect it from hitting something else and damaging the edge of the door.
Old 08-07-11, 06:14 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ecub
I just had my whole door done. They wrapped the protection film, around the edge.

It will protect it from hitting something else and damaging the edge of the door.
Wrapping was a good idea. I wish they would have done my hood that way.

Please keep us posted how this looks over time. Mine on the hood looks terrible after a year and a half. Some damage from the elements and some from...operator error.

And if you can some photos would be nice. I'd like to see how they handled the handles or handle cups.

Last edited by DunWkg; 08-07-11 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 07:13 AM
ecub
Driver

They actually wrapped up a portion of the handles. They had to remove the handles as well. They also did inside the cups. I was worried that it would effect the door handle sensors, but it didn't. I'm having the whole car done. Just in 2 phases. The custom shop works on dealer vehicles during the week, and regular customers on the weekend. The only thing that needs to be done is the rear hatch and roof. Other than that, everything else is done, including the door sills. The only thing they cannot do is the headlights, because it has something to do with letting the heat escape.

Keeping it clean was one thing I didn't think about. I can bring it in for washes, but I didn't ask if there would be swirl marks that still could be seen. He did state that they wash the car and have a wax, that's supposed to be formulated for the film, but I'm not sure if that was BS or not.

The shop actually uses 3M, instead of cheaper brands, so at least it's I know it's good quality.
Old 08-07-11, 08:00 AM
ecub
Driver

I'm having the whole car done, from personal experience. Having a roof rack, I know I'll be throwing and removing things up there. I'm 5'6 and not very strong, so I foresee scratches on the roof. The doors, hood, and front bumper or obvious. The rear bumper is also from personal experience. I bowl and put equipment in and out of the vehicle. I also drive a PT Cruiser, which has a rear hatch that is lower compared to the RX, and much easier to put my equipment in/out of the vehicle, has TONS of scratches on the rear bumper. Yes, it also has a rubber bumper guard. The door sills and pillars are probably not necessary, and were just minor costs, so I had those done as well.

My car is tungsten pearl, so if the film got so bad, that it changed color and was noticeable, then I could probably easily replace that portion. Compared to not having any film and having to repaint that part. Replacing film, minor costs and I can wait a few hours and I can drive the car immediately. You can't do that if you had to repaint, even a small portion of it.

Quick Reply: RX Door Edge Guards