RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

mpg keeps getting better / all gas not equal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 04:06 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default mpg keeps getting better / all gas not equal

i've made a few gripes on this forum about my rx, but i'll never gripe about the fuel economy

have a ~70 mile round trip commute that's 90% highway

almost always buy gas from 1 of 2 shell stations & always on the way home

buy gas about once a week & when i get home my avg mpg is 25-26

occasionally it'll be 28-29 & when that happens the entire tank averages higher

when i filled up last week & drove home i had a 32mpg avg, highest i've ever seen

then the entire tank averaged @ 29.2 beating my previous high of 28.2

something has to be different with the gas

maybe they were out of ethanol, anyone know if it's mixed in the gas @ the station or up the pipeline

or maybe ethanol & gas have different weights & don't settle the same & i got the better portion of the station's tank

donno what causes the occasional mpg spike, but wish it occurred more often

still amazed a 2ton 6cylinder suv can achieve this efficiency

Old 06-15-11, 04:18 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's real good and this isnt the hybrid right? wish i had that mpg log in my 1SC.. i use fuelly (See sig) to keep track of my gas expenses
Old 06-15-11, 04:20 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

not a hybrid
Old 06-15-11, 05:22 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jskennedy
not a hybrid
no way. that should be a hybrid. Mine 350 average 18. How it's possible you get 29? I'm jumping from my bed.
Old 06-16-11, 04:53 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has to be a hybrid.
Old 06-16-11, 05:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe OP has one of those special inventions that Lexus was testing and they forgot to remove it. You know the car companies can get better mileage but they are in cahoots with the bad oil companies. Or so the old conspiracy goes.

This is excellent mileage but I wonder if your computer is somehow incorrect. Have you actually written down the exact mileage you have travelled and divided it by the exact number of gallons you have used to verify this figure. Would be an interesting exercise. I have found some of these electronic calculators to be 'iffy' in some circumstances.
Old 06-16-11, 08:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

jskennedy pushed the RX part of the way

They sure look like some hybrid numbers but not knowing the total mileage it's hard to explain the jump completely. One thing I'll point out with my 450h there is a considerable increase right after filling up. I was averaging close to 40 MPG last week during the brief drive home. It didn't last though. It sure beats the heck out of what I was getting on the 330. I say enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-16-11 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 09:46 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are great numbers, as similar to the 450h's. I would check manually on a few tanks to see how close it is to the electronic display. Should be within 1-2 MPG for sure. I have found the electronic display to be ~ 0.5 - 1 MPG higher when I manually check mine vs. the electronic display (i.e., electronic shows a slightly higher MPG than true MPG).

Or, you may have been given the new electronic display version which has a code name of "Placebo". This new version shows you MPG that are 5 MPG better than actual so as to make the owner feel great about the super MPG.
Old 06-16-11, 12:18 PM
Hvarsov
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't believe this at all

Nobody gets more than the claimed mpg posted on the rx350...nobody even gets what the mfg claim.........no way
Old 06-16-11, 12:20 PM
NEWRXOWNR
Driver School Candidate

Summer gas!
Old 06-16-11, 12:37 PM
Hvarsov
Driver School Candidate

Default Not summer gas

My rx350 is a month old.....using 91 or 93 on a straight highway has only done 22 and tops 25mpg......... This guy is claiming close to 30...just can't buy it......the mfg claims more than people can get and admits it and never have they claimed close to 30 mpg.....in over 50 years of driving I always get the best mpg in the beginning....
Old 06-16-11, 01:33 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I just do the old fashion way. I drive 'till the fuel light is on, I reset the tripmeter, fill the full tank and on the next full tank fill, I just divide the total miles to how many gallons I had to fill and from there I get the combined MPG on that total trip.
Old 06-16-11, 01:33 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Going into summer with different (summer) gas, higher temps, and if one has some other favorable factors going on (see chart in following article), the increase in MPG can likely be equal to + 10 % over that of winter driving fairly easily, but that would only be ~ 2 - 3 MPG increase. Maybe the luck of the draw getting that engine in the vehicle.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/rfgecon.htm
Old 06-16-11, 06:27 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k9shelly1
That has to be a hybrid.
wish it were, promise it's not

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Maybe OP has one of those special inventions that Lexus was testing and they forgot to remove it. You know the car companies can get better mileage but they are in cahoots with the bad oil companies. Or so the old conspiracy goes.

This is excellent mileage but I wonder if your computer is somehow incorrect. Have you actually written down the exact mileage you have travelled and divided it by the exact number of gallons you have used to verify this figure. Would be an interesting exercise. I have found some of these electronic calculators to be 'iffy' in some circumstances.
i write down miles & computer readout on every fill up, have a 31k mile spreadsheet full of #'s. doing the math on this last tank gave 29.61 mpg. lexus has a very accurate mpg formula compared to the gm's & chryslers i've driven. total 31k mile mpg avg is 25.22 from manual math & 25.40 from computer

Originally Posted by Hvarsov
Nobody gets more than the claimed mpg posted on the rx350...nobody even gets what the mfg claim.........no way
unsure why this is so difficult to believe. i've nothing to gain by making up a story. a few things i have going in my favor is i live near the coast so altitude is near sea level, don't have awd or roof rails, never gun it, & i drive the speed limit or 5mph under. used to be speed demon, find it relaxing to never have to pass anyone. come down to raleigh & i'll be glad to take you for a ride, or have trump send down his investigators

Originally Posted by NEWRXOWNR
Summer gas!
what's different w/ summer gas? i do notice better mpg w/ summer temps. i always get worse mpg on the cold fall mornings than driving home after temp has risen. 2 tanks back & my current tank of gas got nowhere close to last tank. i didn't drive any differently. something has got to be different w/ gas

Originally Posted by Hvarsov
My rx350 is a month old.....using 91 or 93 on a straight highway has only done 22 and tops 25mpg......... This guy is claiming close to 30...just can't buy it......the mfg claims more than people can get and admits it and never have they claimed close to 30 mpg.....in over 50 years of driving I always get the best mpg in the beginning....
nothing to gain by lying to you, but i'd be glad to wager some cash if you're that confident you're right. & just to be clear, i'm not claiming close to 30mpg in general, just on this 1 specific tank. in my 86 fill-ups i've had 2 28mpg tanks & a few 27mpgs, usually avg 25ish

Originally Posted by JimH2
Going into summer with different (summer) gas, higher temps, and if one has some other favorable factors going on (see chart in following article), the increase in MPG can likely be equal to + 10 % over that of winter driving fairly easily, but that would only be ~ 2 - 3 MPG increase. Maybe the luck of the draw getting that engine in the vehicle.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/rfgecon.htm
may be something to your luck of the draw comment, i'm sure not all engines/trannys/differentials/wheel-bearings/etc are exact replicas
Old 06-17-11, 08:50 AM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

My RX350 is still within break-in period. But looking at fuel efficiency of daily commute - during HWY stretches, hitting close to 40MPG, while combined with city, averaging 24-26MPG. Will track it for more accuracy after I get past 5k miles.

Quick Reply: mpg keeps getting better / all gas not equal