RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Truth about Fog Light Bulbs

Old 05-13-11, 02:39 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truth about Fog Light Bulbs

Some time ago, I made "LED" related post. I was pretty happy with all except the fog light bulbs.

1. Initially, I was trying to match with 4300k HID.
- I saw LED fog in person, it's no no to me. It is not bright enough to be functional. Far from it.
- I tried Putco Mirror white (4000k), as the color temperature says, it's close, but not quite same as 4300k
- I have Hoen in my Beemer (favorite fog light bulb in Porsche Community). Looks great by themselves, but whiter than 4300k. Most of blue tinted bulbs fall into this category. (As a side note, Hoen is quality bulbs - not just another blue tinted bulbs)
- The conclusion is no halogen bulbs will give exact match with 4300k HID. For this goal, you should go by HID kit.

2. I came across yellow fog with white Highlander, they look surprisingly good. I asked the owner what kind of bulbs they are, sure enough they are Putco Jet Yellow. Steve in Xenondepot once mentioned good thing about them, but I was hesitant because my other car has Nokya Yellow fog, which is OK but not really deep yellow as I wish. I am not sure if it's RX housing, but Putco produce much deeper yellow and look fantastic with white RX. (The picture doesn't do the justice - you should see them in person). Anyway, Putco yellow got my final vote. As a bonus, it is supposed to give me better visibility when it's foggy out there.

BTW, there is one more type of bulbs which picture doesn't do the justice. Blue footwell LED. I was curious but hesitant because it may look too ricey, but you should see them in person, too. Everybody loves the light and asks me if they come with luxury package.

If you are bored, now you have something you could try.

Last edited by JiniJazz; 05-13-11 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 04:50 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The blue foot lights are awesome. Ordered already and will put them in this weekend. I love the yellow fog lights. Do you need any conversion kit or just plug and play( same as DRLs)?
Old 05-13-11, 09:00 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
The blue foot lights are awesome. Ordered already and will put them in this weekend. I love the yellow fog lights. Do you need any conversion kit or just plug and play( same as DRLs)?
It's halogen, so yes, it's plug and play. 5 min job. I am not sure if it will look good with your exterior. It's cheap, so why not try.
Old 05-13-11, 09:02 AM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by The X Men
JiniJazz, your RX is starting to look like E.T.'s mother ship with all the different color lights None the less, good job on the mods.
LOL. I know what you mean.
But you have to see them in person really. I never imagined I would love them either.
Old 05-13-11, 02:42 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JiniJazz
LOL. I know what you mean.
But you have to see them in person really. I never imagined I would love them either.
Haha I'm with you on this.
I love colorful stuff. So that's why i kept the rear doom lightm rear door lights are still yellow. Vanity and front dome and door lights are white. Foot light will be blue.
Old 05-13-11, 09:37 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I achieved the same effect with Headlight Armor. Unfortunately, after one winter, the vinyl is already cloudy and pitted. However, I don't want to know what the glass lens would look like.
Old 05-13-11, 10:02 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by panyo64
I achieved the same effect with Headlight Armor. Unfortunately, after one winter, the vinyl is already cloudy and pitted. However, I don't want to know what the glass lens would look like.
I had laminex before, but removed shortly after reading horror stories on the net.
Old 05-14-11, 12:05 PM
JiniJazz
Rookie

Originally Posted by The X Men
What were some of the horror stories ?
Most stories about melting the housing or/and hardness, but to be fair, the setup was high output bulbs (80w or 100w like Nokya stage II or some PIA, and most of ebay ones). I believe it'd be OK as long as you stick with 55w (OEM, Hoen Xenonmatch, Putco), but you never know. When I touch the fog housing, it's uncomfortably hot even with OEM bulbs, so I removed the laminex.