RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil change.. did I mess up with wrong weight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 03:33 PM
cdestuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change.. did I mess up with wrong weight.

Did my first oil change on my 2010 Rx 350. First several were done at the dealer. Thought I had read the proper weight was 5w/30. So picked up a couple of filers at the Toyota dealer and did the change with no problem. Filled the engine with the 6.8 quarts of 5w/30 and then when putting the oil cap on is when I noticed it said 0w/20. DUH! So ya all think I'm ok with this until the next oil change or should I drain this out and get the 0w/20 . Thanks.
Old 04-12-11, 03:44 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its better to drain it and change with the right grade. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-12-11, 04:50 PM
sonagi1972
Driver School Candidate

No problem with differnet weight of oil. It all depends on the area where you live. If you live in the colder area it's better to use heavier oil vs. worm area. Any mechanic will tell you that there shouldn't be any problem. One question, why didn't you use synthetic oil like Mobil 1? I believe dealer uses synthetic for all 2010 rx. Lexus or not, it's just a car like any other car.
Old 04-12-11, 05:09 PM
Barrington
Rookie

Heavier oil in colder area?? I thought it was the opposite
Old 04-12-11, 05:29 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Did my first oil change on my 2010 Rx 350. First several were done at the dealer. Thought I had read the proper weight was 5w/30. So picked up a couple of filers at the Toyota dealer and did the change with no problem. Filled the engine with the 6.8 quarts of 5w/30 and then when putting the oil cap on is when I noticed it said 0w/20. DUH! So ya all think I'm ok with this until the next oil change or should I drain this out and get the 0w/20 . Thanks.
To be safe, I'll replace 0w20.
Old 04-12-11, 05:32 PM
cdestuck
Driver School Candidate

Good question on the Mobile 1 as I'm switching to that from Amsoil on the Harley next change. Had a case of this regular 5w/30 here at the house. Next will be Mobile 1 as long as I can find the right weight.
Old 04-12-11, 07:19 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read pages 6-9 in the following .pdf file, and you should find the answer.
The 0W vs 5W makes no practical difference in most climates, but the 20 vs 30 wt. viscosity may make a difference based on engine manufacturing (tolerances) per the article.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TechBrief13 - Oil Viscosity.pdf (583.6 KB, 329 views)
Old 04-12-11, 07:29 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I would change it. Few dollars now, few thousand dollars later. You never know.
Old 04-13-11, 05:53 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

warming season is here in NE, you should be ok. you will loose the efficiency of lower visc oil so your MPG may go down very slightly. 0w20 is full synthetic hence 10k interval. if you used regular 5w-30, you should change it out to 0w20 after 3-5k but everything should be ok.
Old 04-13-11, 08:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, unless you are a perfectionist. They used 5W30 on the previous generation (with the same engine), but switched to 0W20 for this generation. Apparently, they decreased the clearances in the engine on the newer models, but I have doubts about that. The 0W20 supposedly increases your MPG by .5, and it flows much easier and faster than the heavier 5W30.
Old 04-13-11, 09:14 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Leave it alone. It won't hurt anything and no one will know unless you tell them.
Old 04-14-11, 05:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JimH2
Read pages 6-9 in the following .pdf file, and you should find the answer.
The 0W vs 5W makes no practical difference in most climates, but the 20 vs 30 wt. viscosity may make a difference based on engine manufacturing (tolerances) per the article.
That article has nothing to do with what the engineers who designed the new low friction engines for us recommend. If you want to go with that then go ahead. But you'll get less efficiency and when an engine problem develops (it will in time), it won't be warranted.
Old 04-14-11, 07:01 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
That article has nothing to do with what the engineers who designed the new low friction engines for us recommend. If you want to go with that then go ahead. But you'll get less efficiency and when an engine problem develops (it will in time), it won't be warranted.
I thought the article was a good primer for explaining oil viscosity and differences associated with their operational use. The 2nd paragraph on page 9 suggests (or implies) using the recommendations set forth by the manufacturer that was developed (with associated testing) for the OEM engine in the vehicle. In this case, that would be 0W-20. I have not read any articles suggesting that the manufacturers recommendations not be adhered to, and do not believe this article suggest doing so either.

I have opted to use 5W-20 in the future for my vehicle based on having another vehicle that uses 5w-20, and my belief that 0W vs 5W will not cause any difference in the life of the engine (for the climate I live in).
Old 04-14-11, 09:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Just changed the oil on our RX350. Just as an FYI, the 0W20 is NOTICEABLY more free-flowing than the 5W30. In fact it feels like vegetable oil (almost like water), I was really surprised. I might be a little over exaggerating with the water-like properties, but believe me, it's way different from 5W30 which I used in the past(for the 2nd gen). Also, the filter had a bunch of metal particles, you could see them reflecting in the light. I don't know if I should be happy about this, since I've never noticed that before on our other cars.

Also, there was some oil around the filter casing and the oil pan. I still haven't figured out where it came from, possibly from the filter casing sensor(oil pressure?). I wiped everything up, so that I could see if it reappears. My guess is that somebody didn't tighten the filter enough. I'll check again at the next oil change, since the oil leak wasn't significant.

Last edited by Hayk; 04-14-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 10:03 PM
RX350alan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Just changed the oil on our RX350. Just as an FYI, the 0W20 is NOTICEABLY more free-flowing than the 5W30. In fact it feels like vegetable oil (almost like water), I was really surprised. I might be a little over exaggerating with the water-like properties, but believe me, it's way different from 5W30 which I used in the past(for the 2nd gen). Also, the filter had a bunch of metal particles, you could see them reflecting in the light. I don't know if I should be happy about this, since I've never noticed that before on our other cars.

Also, there was some oil around the filter casing and the oil pan. I still haven't figured out where it came from, possibly from the filter casing sensor(oil pressure?). I wiped everything up, so that I could see if it reappears. My guess is that somebody didn't tighten the filter enough. I'll check again at the next oil change, since the oil leak wasn't significant.
oil may be from ur "O" ring.. They are supposed to lubricate that O ring and if they did it it will drop some oil after they squeeze it (tightened). its normal!

Quick Reply: Oil change.. did I mess up with wrong weight.