RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

hidden tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 03:27 PM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now Off To Have Some Fun!

Why I needed a hitch in the first place!
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-image.jpg  
Old 07-05-13, 08:14 PM
eightblack
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if this question has been asked before but we have an RX350 F Sport and I enquired about a hitch for the car and the dealer wasnt quite sure as they hadnt fitted one yet (this was in January of this year). I searched around online and discovered that a hitch was difficult to fit due to the rear sway bar on the car and just wanted to check with you experts if this was the case

The sales guy who sold us the car actually encouraged us to buy the hitch from a 3rd party hitch company (we live in CO, and the hitch company recommended was Lampert Hitch). I took the car to them and spoke to the guys there who seemed very knowledgable but they too had not installed a hitch on a F Sport. I dont want some guy taking to the sway bar with an oxy torch!

And if it really is as easy as some of you have posted (and great shots by the way) then I reckon I could do it myself.
Old 08-18-13, 09:56 PM
CarloRX
Driver School Candidate

Default LA area install for a curtis hitch

Anyone know a good install place for the curtis hitch in Los Angeles area?

Thanks
Old 08-19-13, 04:10 AM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

Any body shop, muffler shop or U-Haul/Ryder rental place should be able to do the install.
Old 08-19-13, 07:38 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eightblack, you can definitely do it yourself. I have an F sport too and found an aftermarket hitch- a CURT model- made specifically for the F sport. Look on etrailer.com, and it will specifically list the one for the F sport. it is cheap, and easy to install. They also have the wiring harness for our car, though it is listed for the 2012 regular RX.

The rear damper is simply bolted on, and removal is just as easy. Once the hitch is on, there are mounting holes on the hitch to re-install the damper. You have the flip the damper upside down, but there is no reason that it shouldn't work just as before. Here are some pics of mine as well.
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-hitch-1.jpg   hidden tow hitch-hitch-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-13, 10:30 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Changed part # for Curt Hitch

The newest Curt hitch for the RX350/450h INCLUDING the F-Sport is 13413 http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13143 . Maybe the same one as in Viperdoc's post.

IIRC, there was previously a hitch that fit the non-Fs, and an add'l bracket or part to use with the F damper. The new one has an extra tab for the damper with the holes already there.
9/20 edit - now that I've unpacked it all, there is an additional plate included, I think that's for the passenger side. The extra tab I mentioned is for the driver's side.
The instructions say, however, that you can't reinstall the tow hooks with the F damper.

Hitchdepot $143.50 incl shipping through Amazon.

Looks pretty straightforward, although I just received it today and am waiting for the converter from another source.

Jonas

Last edited by jrfiero; 09-20-13 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-15-13, 09:59 AM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Jonas mentions the new p/n 13143 includes the F-Sport model. P/N 13541 also still fits the 2013 RX and is about $20 cheaper.
Old 12-15-13, 10:11 AM
ISterguy
Rookie

What wire harness kit do I need for a 2013 that does not have the towing package?
Old 01-22-14, 07:14 PM
edbarrows
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer lighting issue solved.

I installed the Curt hitch on my 2011 RX350 myself and was very pleased with the results. I then purchased the wire connector and hooked it up to the connector in the left rear and ran the wires over to the hitch but the trailer lights would not work. Went to several local garages including one that specializes is Toyota/Lexus but nobody could figure out why the trailer connector had no power. I finally stumbled on a reference to the "trailer computer". Once I bought the trailer lighting computer (part number PT219‐48101‐TC) and installed it, the trailer lights work perfectly! Instructions for installing the computer can be found here http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ht-connection/
Old 01-22-14, 08:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by edbarrows
I installed the Curt hitch on my 2011 RX350 myself and was very pleased with the results. I then purchased the wire connector and hooked it up to the connector in the left rear and ran the wires over to the hitch but the trailer lights would not work. Went to several local garages including one that specializes is Toyota/Lexus but nobody could figure out why the trailer connector had no power. I finally stumbled on a reference to the "trailer computer". Once I bought the trailer lighting computer (part number PT219‐48101‐TC) and installed it, the trailer lights work perfectly! Instructions for installing the computer can be found here xxxxxxxxxx
Pretty much a known item.

Standard hitch is only applicable to 4WD vehicles with the towing package(TO) option.

Note: F-Sport RX models required to remove rear suspension damper and bar for installation.

All other RX models require hitch plus the towing converter.

One of the sponsors here at CL, Sewell Lexus in Dallas, makes this known when purchasing the hitch from them.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2591.html
Old 01-23-14, 04:59 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

I just purchased a 10 rx450h awd yesterday. I'm reading a lot about the curt hitch and want to pull the trigger but is there a difference in application for the AWD models vs RWD?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-14, 05:16 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
I just purchased a 10 rx450h awd yesterday. I'm reading a lot about the curt hitch and want to pull the trigger but is there a difference in application for the AWD models vs RWD?

Thanks!
The RX is either FWD or AWD.

Yes, there is a difference. As you can see in my post above at #70. If you have AWD AND the towing package option installed you need only the tow hitch. Otherwise, you need the tow hitch and the towing converter.
Old 01-24-14, 10:29 AM
mac12
Intermediate

I've had a 2010 FWD with the towing package and now the 2013 FWD with the towing package and both only required plugging up the trailer wiring harness to the plug at the left rear bumper.

Last edited by mac12; 01-27-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-24-14, 05:44 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

I ordered the 13541 but received the 13143. Installation time was about an hour. Had to slightly trim the fascia to fit around the upper bar that was not mentioned in the instructions for the fascia to fit back properly. Bought the connector kit #56083 but have not hooked anything to it to see if it works. I will hook up a trailer light kit I found laying in my garage and see if I need a converter or not since I do not have the tow package on my 2013. I plan to haul only a couple mountain bikes and don't really need it but would like for it to work just in case I may haul a small trailer. What exactly does the converter do? Maybe I could make my own.
Old 01-26-14, 12:08 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Did the checking for the converter and do not have. Found one on eBay p/n 81985YY020 for $50 (used 2011) and bought. This is the same p/n you get when searching on Lexus' parts catalog.

Quick Reply: hidden tow hitch