RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

hidden tow hitch

Old 08-21-12, 11:31 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Bought Curt #13541 Hitch, Wiring Connector #56083, and Towing Starter Kit #45534. 2-Day included delivery, for $208 (using "welcomeback" discount code with my reseller). Installed today in about an hour.

A few comments:

1. The towing kit includes, matched 2" platform and ball, a standard pin with matching cotter, a keylock pin, and Curt rubber receiver cap. It is a very high quality product.

2. Highly recommend using ramps, as the additional clearance provides valuable headroom.

3. A two-foot stool is necessary to act as a "third hand", propping the driver's side connection.

4. 60 ft/lb torque is quite a pull; I braced myself using one foot on the sway bar.

5. The provided cutout dimensions are very accurate, but make sure to double check your measurements. I used a Dremel tool to make the cuts (there are two, btw), and sanded the edges smooth. An interesting note here... The cutout pattern for the Lexus hitch is scribed on the inside of the main fascia. Their cutout is larger than the Curt equivalent. Not having seen a Lexus hitch, I wonder why it has to be so much larger.

6. Depending on the age of your RX, it would be wise to wash the fascias after removing them to make for a cleaner re-installation.

7. If you have mudguards, these will have to be removed, but this is a simple added task. Two screws are on the wheel well, and one bolt is shared with the adjacent fascia.

8. Masking is very optional, as it would take a klutz to scuff what is in fact an unpainted surface on the bumper cover.

9. I would recommend re-installing the two tow loops, as they could come in handy one day; otherwise they'll just collect dust in your garage.

10. The muffler really needs to be dropped to insert the hitch bracket (don't worry, it can hang there out of the way). I tried to avoid this, but a lot of time was wasted, and I eventually capitulated and easily removed the two bolts supporting the muffler hanger. However, once you sneak the hitch bracket past the muffler, the hanger needs to be re-bolted in place immediately, otherwise the hitch bracket blocks access to the two hanger bolt holes. This is one time when it is useful to have a friend around to facilitate this tricky maneuver.

11. Curt is a very professional organization that will handhold you through the process if need be. Whomever you select as your reseller will mostly just get Curt to drop ship your hitch from their warehouses, and only they are equipped to offer a very wide selection across many brands of vehicles.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-22-12 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added additional note to item 5.
Old 08-22-12, 02:47 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
Bought Curt #13541 Hitch, Wiring Connector #56083, and Towing Starter Kit #45534. 2-Day included delivery, for $208 (using "welcomeback" discount code with my reseller). Installed today in about an hour.

A few comments:

1. The towing kit includes, matched 2" platform and ball, keylock pin and rubber receiver cap. It is a very high quality product.

2. Highly recommend using ramps, as the additional clearance provides valuable headroom.

3. A two-foot stool is necessary to act as a "third hand", propping the driver's side connection.

4. 60 ft/lb torque is quite a pull; I braced myself using one foot on the sway bar.

5. The provided cutout dimensions are very accurate, but make sure to double check your measurements. I used a Dremel tool to make the cuts (there are two, btw), and sanded the edges smooth.

6. Depending on the age of your RX, it would be wise to wash the fascias after removing them to make for a cleaner re-installation.

7. If you have mudguards, these will have to be removed, but this is a simple added task. Two screws are on the wheel well, and one bolt is shared with the adjacent fascia.

8. Masking is very optional, as it would take a klutz to scuff what is in fact an unpainted surface on the bumper cover.

9. I would recommend re-installing the two tow loops, as they could come in handy one day; otherwise they'll just collect dust in your garage.

10. The muffler really needs to be dropped to insert the hitch bracket (don't worry, it can hang there out of the way). I tried to avoid this, but a lot of time was wasted, and I eventually capitulated and easily removed the two bolts supporting the muffler hanger. However, once you sneak the hitch bracket past the muffler, the hanger needs to be re-bolted in place immediately, otherwise the hitch bracket blocks access to the two hanger bolt holes. This is one time when it is useful to have a friend around to facilitate this tricky maneuver.

11. Curt is a very professional organization that will handhold you through the process if need be. Whomever you select as your reseller will mostly just get Curt to drop ship your hitch from their warehouses, and only they are equipped to offer a very wide selection across many brands of vehicles.
I would love to see the after pics if you can be so kind. I have beem kickin this around for a while. So I am assuming your RX did not come pre-wired and the kit you purchased took care of that? I have read conflictig/confusing points
Old 08-22-12, 09:14 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Here are a few pics; I have others available as well. Curt's install procedure is very accurate and detailed, and is filled with informative pics.

The attached detail the following:

1. The factory pre-wired plug which matches the rear lights on the vehicle, i.e.: Brake, Turn Signals & Night Running Lights.

2. The muffler support hanger.

3. The RX on ramps and the fascias with cutouts, ready for re-assembly.

4. The finished product.

5. The wiring extension, with weatherproof cover.
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-dscf4384rs.jpg   hidden tow hitch-dscf4386rs.jpg   hidden tow hitch-dscf4394rs.jpg   hidden tow hitch-img_0014rs.jpg   hidden tow hitch-img_0016rs.jpg  

Old 08-26-12, 01:37 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the great information. I'm going to get the Curt #13541 for my g/f's 2011 RX. I found it for $140 on Amazon -- the $125 price on another site seems a little questionable. I'll start looking for a bike rack next on this forum.
Old 08-26-12, 10:11 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

The finished look; now that's a "hidden hitch"! The wiring can be stuffed in for a cleaner look!
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-dscf4399rs.jpg  
Old 08-27-12, 12:11 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well! The Lexus installation in France (removable tow) is a kind of perfection as there is nothing left visible and everything is well designed and installed.

I do not understand why in North America you cannot have the same systems (much more practical and much more well designed for such a premium vehicle) like us.

Sorry for the bad quality but we can see anyway.
Below pic when tow is completely removed:

below when tow is on the car:
Old 08-30-12, 05:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

In North America we are more overt, and manufacturers like to advertize at every opportunity.

If mounting a billboard onto the hitch was considered acceptable, we'd all be driving around with one. LOL

The hook you show is also available here...
Old 09-01-12, 11:58 PM
nine49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the pictures and videos of their hitch install. After reading and viewing pictures and tips on how to install the hitch, I installed the hitch on my wife's RX today. Took me couple of hours, but it was made easy by reading and viewing everyone's posts here. Very satisfied with how it turned out.
Like most everyone here, I installed Curt 13541 hitch, Curt T-Connector wiring kit (which will not get used much, as I have never towed anything, but I figured I might as well install it now) and Curt receive tube cover with built in electrical connector holder.
I followed Curt installation instruction in its entirety (and tips posted here), except I trimmed fascia following the Lexus cut-out already scored on the inside the fascia.
Now the whole family is ready for bike outing.
One question, though. I don't own a torque wrench, so I torqued each 12mm fastener as much as I can without breaking them (after applying Loctite Theadlocker Blue 242 to each fastener). Should I be concerned that I may not have torqued enough? Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-hitch3.jpg   hidden tow hitch-hitch4.jpg   hidden tow hitch-hitch2.jpg   hidden tow hitch-hitch1.jpg  
Old 09-03-12, 01:31 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
In North America we are more overt, and manufacturers like to advertize at every opportunity.

If mounting a billboard onto the hitch was considered acceptable, we'd all be driving around with one. LOL

The hook you show is also available here...
OK, I understand!
Old 09-03-12, 08:56 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The torque you put on the bolts will have to be determined by how long a wrench you used and how strong you are. I used a torque wrench on mine and had to "put out" a lot to achieve the required amount of torque.
Old 11-11-12, 05:56 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Great pictures and tips all!
Old 04-08-13, 01:14 PM
CandyDane
Driver School Candidate

Default Trailer Hitch for 2013 RX 350 AWD

I've called a couple -Haul locations to check about installing a trailer hitch to our new RX 350 AWD.

Both locations said the 2013 RX 350 comes with a factory-installed hitch. I then went to the U-Haul website, found a different location, and filled out the web form to check on a hitch. The webpage returned the statement that our model has a factory pre-installed trailer hitch.

I've looked at the car and can't see anything that looks like a hitch. I don't want to buy a hitch if our car should have had one.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-13, 02:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyDane
I've called a couple -Haul locations to check about installing a trailer hitch to our new RX 350 AWD.

Both locations said the 2013 RX 350 comes with a factory-installed hitch. I then went to the U-Haul website, found a different location, and filled out the web form to check on a hitch. The webpage returned the statement that our model has a factory pre-installed trailer hitch.

I've looked at the car and can't see anything that looks like a hitch. I don't want to buy a hitch if our car should have had one.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to Club Lexus, CandyDane.

Perhaps the U-Haul web site should have said something along the line of the 2013 RX350 having a specialized hitch as an accessory and they do not have one which fits. Your RX did not come with one from the factory and it is not standard.

Your RX did have as an option a Towing Prep Package. It included a Transmission cooler, Heavy-duty radiator, and a Heavy-duty alternator. If you do not have this then you will probably need the converter relay as well.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2013/2591.html
Old 04-09-13, 07:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Funny that the towing prep package does not list one important item - tail lights converter. Not a big deal - the connector is in the trunk, below the right tail light. Really easy to hook up a generic one.
Old 06-26-13, 03:25 PM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

I installed the hitch this morning in just over an hour, thanks to all who posted tips and tricks, especially Johnny; the stool and immediately remounting the muffler bracket were golden tips that really made it easier.
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-image.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hidden tow hitch