RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

hidden tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 09:07 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed this harness on my 2011 RX350.
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56083
Thankfully, no converter or other electronics needed -- just this adapter cable.

The instruction sheet on that page will tell you where the connector is located.
Easy to install, and I tuck the T-connector in the bumper when I'm not using it.
Old 03-04-15, 05:54 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy2g
I realize this is an old post, however I was wondering if the part number you listed (81985YY020) is all you need to buy to be able to add the tow pkg (from a wiring standpoint). Do you also need a harness? Where does that part plug in? Lastly, do you know what is actually does?

Our 400h has a hitch on it, but our 350 does not and I want to take to to Colorado this year, so it needs one.
Toy2g - if your RX does not have the tow package option then yes you will need the 81985YY020 part. You also will need the harness that connects to the harness drivers side rear behind wheel where there is a cutout in the plastic cover which usually comes with a hitch but is Curt p/n 56083
Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive
Old 03-09-15, 12:31 PM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISterguy
Toy2g - if your RX does not have the tow package option then yes you will need the 81985YY020 part. You also will need the harness that connects to the harness drivers side rear behind wheel where there is a cutout in the plastic cover which usually comes with a hitch but is Curt p/n 56083 Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive.
Great thank you. I ordered everything i need to add trailer brakes also. my Expo trailer is only 900lbs but it has trailer brakes, so I figured I will take advantage of them since we have to cross the Rockies a couple times a year.
Old 09-23-15, 12:31 PM
Casawolves
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Hitch

Will the OEM Lexus trailer Hitch fitted for the 1999 RX 300 fit a 3rd generation RX (2010-2015)
thank you
Old 09-24-15, 06:42 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

No, the 1999 RX 300 hitch will not fit a third generation RX. They are completely different vehicles.
Go to etrailers dot com and you can see what fits your vehicle.
Old 09-28-15, 07:57 AM
Casawolves
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
No, the 1999 RX 300 hitch will not fit a third generation RX. They are completely different vehicles.
Go to etrailers dot com and you can see what fits your vehicle.
thank you, much appreciated
Old 10-08-15, 02:29 PM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the Curt hitch on my RX today. In a way, it's a piece of cake. One problem with one of the holes is, it's not right on the money. The drivers side rear hole, is a slight bit to forward. The bolt won't fit. I had a dremmel tool and took the grind stone to it. Have to shave it back a couple mm to get the bolt to fit.

Next was the cutting of the cover. I looked a few times and did a guesstimate hold up of the cover and went for it. Couple problems, if you look at the drawing and cut it, you will be a little wide on the cut for the right side once the cover is on. It clears but I could have made it about 3" wide and not taken as much off the right. Next was the way the cover tacks up with the 2 plastic nuts on the studs that hang down, the hitch pushes the cover forward and it makes it a little hard to get the bumper screws in along with the 2 plastic flat nuts. I'll try to take some pics later and show how it turned out for me and where I need to trim a little more under it so the cover isn't binding.

Over all, I think the Curt hitch is pretty nice, no complaints. Yes we have to do some cutting and don't really know what they do with the OEM hitch, but it was $140.24 shipped. Beats the $900 from the dealer. I should have bought the end cover I'll get it soon.
Old 10-01-17, 11:35 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Is the towing prep package the same as the towing package?

My rx450h has the towing prep package and if i would like to install a hitch, is this all i need? Do i need the wiring kit if i have the tow prep package?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13143-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00C4B18JU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=RX450h%7C6862&Year=2015%7C2015&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=10&vehicleType=automotive https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13143-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00C4B18JU/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Lexus%7C75&Model=RX450h%7C6862&Year=2015%7C2015&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=10&vehicleType=automotive

Thanks

Last edited by panjfj; 10-01-17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 03:11 AM
tim5055
Rookie

It been a few years, but I think the prep package has the wiring included. Look under the rear of your vehicle, just to the left of center under the rear bumper facia and see if you have a flat four wiring plug there. On my 20011450h it’s a little hidden.
Old 10-02-17, 01:10 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by panjfj
Is the towing prep package the same as the towing package?

My rx450h has the towing prep package and if i would like to install a hitch, is this all i need? Do i need the wiring kit if i have the tow prep package?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13143-Cl...ype=automotive

Thanks
Sorry, not really sure on this but as tim5055 mentions I think the towing prep package probably has just the wiring converter. You can look for it at inside right rear cargo trunk below the right tail light remove the right rear cover to expose the tray then the two push pins that hold the tray in. See attached photos. I think the tow package includes more items such as a transmission cooler which is necessary if you plan to tow something heavier than 500-600 lbs. I just haul a couple bikes and the smallest Uhaul trailer but climb no hills or mountains just flat stuff.
Attached Thumbnails hidden tow hitch-img_1840.jpg   hidden tow hitch-img_1841.jpg  
Old 03-21-19, 11:27 AM
wgregt
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey gang. I'm new to the brand and the RX 350. I have a 3rd gen on the way about to be shipped. I haven't seen it, but I know it has a "tow prep pkg" with tranny cooler, beefed up alt and radiator. I know I need to buy a Curt towbar (amazon or ebay cheapest probably? Or do members have a dealer somewhere with better prices?)

I've read thru this post, and still don't know: Does the tow prep pkg include the wiring converter/harness as well? Or do I need to buy that as well? Is there only ONE wiring harness....or do I need two: one from the car side and one from the trailer side that connect/plug together?

Love to hear your thoughts and clarity on this.
Old 03-21-19, 02:04 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

You need to buy a wiring harness. With the tow prep package you have the connector plug and wiring etc on the car. Just pull it out, remove the plug cover and plug in the harness. Posts above tell you where it is and how to do it. OR take it to a trailer shop.

The etrailer link tells you which harness you need if you have the tow prep package, it is Curt 56083. https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_...CVc8QAvD_BwE#/

I think the Amazon prices are a bit cheaper for both. However etrailer has better service.
The following users liked this post:
wgregt (03-21-19)
Old 03-21-19, 02:15 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Hello WGREGT,

With the tow prep pkg you definitely will not require the converter and possibly not the harness from the rear connector to the trailer harness as it is part of the trailer or should be. Take a look under the far left rear (under left tail reflector) of the car where a hole/panel cutout is and in that hole, you should see a connector, and attached a harness cable that is long enough to reach the hitch where it would connect to the trailers harness. If it does not have the harness depending on where you get the hitch the supplier sometimes includes the with the hitch but is can be purchased as Curt p/n 56083
Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
wgregt (03-21-19)
Old 03-21-19, 02:18 PM
wgregt
Driver

OK. Got it. Thank you both.
Old 06-30-19, 02:55 PM
wgregt
Driver

Originally Posted by ISterguy
Hello WGREGT,

With the tow prep pkg you definitely will not require the converter and possibly not the harness from the rear connector to the trailer harness as it is part of the trailer or should be. Take a look under the far left rear (under left tail reflector) of the car where a hole/panel cutout is and in that hole, you should see a connector, and attached a harness cable that is long enough to reach the hitch where it would connect to the trailers harness. If it does not have the harness depending on where you get the hitch the supplier sometimes includes the with the hitch but is can be purchased as Curt p/n 56083 Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 56083 T-Connector: Automotive.

I finally got the 2010 350 here just a few days ago and took a look to see if I'd need to buy the harness. Here's what I see. Looks like the plug is there (Is this what I was supposed to be seeing....under left side rear?) but it this long enough to reach a hitch? I can't get my hand up in there to see but it looks short to me. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: hidden tow hitch