RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nitrogen in the tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 07:33 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen in the tires

Has anyone had nitrogen put in the tires and does it work as advertised? Do you see any extended life on the tires?
Old 04-06-11, 09:31 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Has anyone had nitrogen put in the tires and does it work as advertised? Do you see any extended life on the tires?
The life of the tire is extended by keeping them properly inflated. Nitrogen is suppose to stay in the tire longer than regular air. This will keep them at the right pressure longer.

You can accomplish the same thing by simply monitoring your tire pressure and keeping them properly inflated. Good thing for most RX owners is that we have tire pressure monitoring.
Old 04-06-11, 10:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Air is 78% nitrogen anyways. You'll be wasting money if you wanted pure 100% nitrogen. The difference is negligible except for your wallet. Keep them properly inflated, rotate the tires when necessary, and your tires will last.
Old 04-06-11, 12:41 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

I still don't understand the logic behind nitrogen inflation.

- Regular old air is 78% nitrogen anyway, so you're paying for 22% (or less, due to existing ambient pressure, there will always be some air left behind)

- Nitrogen (N2) molecules are actually smaller than Oxygen (O2). Smaller particles effuse faster than larger ones (Graham's Law)

- It costs money

- You have to go to special pumps to fill up.

As the previous poster said, it's better to monitor your tires frequently and fill up with a compressor at home.
Old 04-06-11, 01:42 PM
Barrington
Rookie

I worked at a dealership that offered the magic air and they charged $65.00 to hook the machine to your tires and turn on the smoke & mirror show. The machine was broken for a year and the owner was too cheap to repair the keypad so the service writers would upsell this service anyway because they were paid $25.00 for every sale of voo-doo air. I agree with the previous post, buy a good tire pressure gauge and check your pressures once in a while.
Old 04-06-11, 01:45 PM
supraholic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krypttic
I still don't understand the logic behind nitrogen inflation.

- Regular old air is 78% nitrogen anyway, so you're paying for 22% (or less, due to existing ambient pressure, there will always be some air left behind)

- Nitrogen (N2) molecules are actually smaller than Oxygen (O2). Smaller particles effuse faster than larger ones (Graham's Law)

- It costs money

- You have to go to special pumps to fill up.

As the previous poster said, it's better to monitor your tires frequently and fill up with a compressor at home.
The main advantage is that nitrogen will stay stable as the temperatures changes. Air from the atmosphere wont. Plus, many shops will do it for free if you get your tires with them.
Old 04-06-11, 03:07 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think I remember reading somewhere that pure nitrogen does not absorb water (humidity) as does air, so less deterioration on the inside of the tire, wheel, and tpms sensor.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the money or effort for a street tire, as the others have already said.
Old 04-06-11, 03:17 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Larrs hit it with compress air you also have water vapor with the air. At plants that use a lot of air they have large drying units to help remove most of the water from the system. Tire stores you get what you get along the cost were the humidity can be above 85% on a clear day you get more water vapor than in the southwest but you are paying a lot of money for this service that might help keep your tires on the car a few more years but you will probable have to replace them because of high miles on the tires over time on the ground.
Old 04-06-11, 06:14 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Nobody has mentioned the really cool valve stem caps you get too!

I've seen them green or slightly more expensive(?) ones have the word nitrogen on them. Wouldn't want someone putting in cheap air!

Like premium fuel, some auto manufactures recommend nitrogen. Especially those cars with the low profile tires.
Old 04-06-11, 07:04 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth my tires have the nitrogen in them, came that way from the Dealership. I have not had to play with the tire pressure at all since getting the RX. We have good temp swings here in AZ. On my 4Runner I was having to adjust the pressure when the seasons changed, not so with the nitrogen in the RX tires.

My 2 cents