RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Xenondepot HID Kit + LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 08:18 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is interested, attached you will find a file with the installation instructions for the Xtreme kit that were sent to me by Steve at XenonDepot. I hope that including this file for all to see is not a problem and I hope that I have done it properly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HID kit instructionGuide.pdf (855.5 KB, 547 views)
Old 05-19-11, 11:11 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

cafpaf,

The black and white wires connect between the ballast (not battery) and the OEM headlight wiring. You only need to connect to the battery if you are using a relay harness.

Steve
Old 06-11-11, 12:06 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Reviving this old thread to ask a question. Can anyone who has completed this mod, please tell me or, better yet show me via some pictures, exactly where and how you mounted the ballast and how you routed the wires? Also, if you installed the relay harness, please tell me, or show me, how you made the connection to the battery. As always, thanks is advance for your help!!
Old 08-12-11, 09:17 PM
Lawr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I basically bought my car over the phone/email and saw a few pictures on autotrader. The car was a CPO from a dealership and it had nav and I didn't bother looking to see what other options it had. I figured it had the HID's since it had the nav, my mistake. By the time i realized it didn't have the adaptive lighting, they were already processing my paper work. Needless to say, the first thing I did when I got home was to look for some after market HID's. THANK GOODNESS I saw this thread, HID's looked great in the pics.

I ordered my HID's last week, they shipped on Friday and arrived this Friday, one week ship time from Canada, can't complain about that. I saw the directions and it had been awhile since I installed aftermarket HID's, I installed them before in my fiance's mercedes. The only trouble I had was the wiring was actually backwards. I thought I had to switch the wires on the harness that connects to the OEM headlight connector, I thought it was black to black and white to white. I switched the wires and connected everything up, turned on the lights and nothing...

I switched the wires back and so now my wires looked like they were connecting black to white and white to black. I turned on the lights and they worked! Not sure what happened and why they are swapped, but they work perfectly this way.

I am very happy with the end product and am glad that the car has HID's now. For those that are worried about the instructions or how to mount the ballasts, DON'T worry. Once you open it up, you'll see what to do, the connections are pretty obvious, it's like fitting the square block through the square hole, each connection can connect to only one place. Also, about mounting the ballasts, they include the double sided mounting tape and all you need to do is find a flat spot that you can stick the ballast to. The rest of the wiring I just zip tied to the existing wiring harness and it seems like it'll be secure and not be in the way.

Don't waste anymore time and order this kit if you are running the halogen lights, totally worth it! Thanks!
Old 08-13-11, 04:08 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, just installed a set last night in a relatives new RX. Took about 45min start to finish which included removing and reinstalling the engine covers and the ~ 20 or so PITA plastic clips. Much easier install than on my GX which required use of relay and removal of battery to get ballast/relay mounted.

On passenger side, I double taped and zip tied ballast along w/ zip tied up extra wiring. On driver side, I just double taped ballast and zip tied wires to existing as you stated above.

Steve / XD are the way to go and install couldn't be any simpler than on the RX.

Old 08-13-11, 04:27 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

XenonDepot & Steve = Great! I have the Volt kit 4300K and Putco Mirror White in high beam to match low beam.
Old 08-13-11, 05:48 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Steve, why is the wiring opposite? Why not black to black, white to white? This is the kind of thing that prevents me from making this mod. Did I misunderstand or did Lawr do something incorrectly the first time?
Old 08-14-11, 11:07 PM
Lawr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cafpaf
Steve, why is the wiring opposite? Why not black to black, white to white? This is the kind of thing that prevents me from making this mod. Did I misunderstand or did Lawr do something incorrectly the first time?
I wouldn't let that stop you from purchasing this kit. Even though I plugged it in the first time and the lights did not turn on, there were no other ill effects and nothing blew up or short circuited or anything of that nature. I merely swapped the wiring to the opposite as I stated above and now they work. It's been a couple days now and I have had no issues and don't think I will have any either. Honestly, it was totally worth it and the only regret you'll have is not getting them sooner.
Old 08-15-11, 08:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post some feedback about the Xtreme HID Kit!

cafpaf - The Xtreme kit is designed to be used with a relay harness so the polarity of the plug is designed to mate with the relay harness. Some members choose not to use the relay harness so you simply need to reverse the polarity of the plug that connects into your OEM wiring. If you are looking to purchase the kit and are hesitant about doing this change just let me know and I can go ahead and change it for you before the kit ships. Just send me a PM with your order number and the request and I will make sure it gets done :-)

BurgBoxstr - Thanks for the repeat business!! How long has it been now since you purchase your first kit from us?

redrocks - Thanks for the feedback as always :-)

Steve
Old 08-17-11, 07:29 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Steve,

Don't recall specifically but seems like ~ 4 years since I put your kit in my GX. Still recommend it to anyone w/o.

Old 08-17-11, 02:08 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

It's amazing how quickly time goes by! This September will be our 10 year anniversary.....

Steve
Old 12-22-11, 12:57 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

I am reviving this old thread to let everyone know about my experience with the Extreme HID Kit from Xenon-Depot. First you need to know that I am a Senior fellow, aka Old Fart, who does not consider himself the most talented person when person when it comes to automobile mechanics. I was VERY apprehensive about installing this kit as I did not want to screw anything up that I could not repair. I even had several PM's with Steve at Xenon-Depot. In any case, I ordered the kit and it arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Since it was warm today here in Pittsburgh, I went right to te installation. It was a BREEZE to install. After talking to Steve and getting information here on the forum, I knew that I did not have to install the relay harness and the rest of it was almost intuitive. The entire process took about forty-five minutes and most of that time was spent in locating a place to install the ballast,routing the wires, and securing everything with wire ties. Turned on the power and Voilą! Steve and his staff at Xenon-Depot were wonderful!!! They answered all my questions and were exceptionally professional. I wish I would have taken pictures of the installation but unfortunately I did not. So...the long and the short of it is if you are even thinking about making this modification GO do it now and get the Extreme HID Kit for Xenon-Depot and don't forget to use you CL discount. I can't wait to drive the car this evening to see how much better it really is. It looks great in the garage and just like the lights in our old 2001 RX.
Old 12-22-11, 01:37 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

cafpaf: Thank you so much for taking the time to post up feedback about the Xtreme HID kit =) I'm glad that everything worked out well for you and that you are happy with the light output. Let me know about what you think about the light output once you have had a chance to drive at night =)

Regards,

Steve
Old 02-05-12, 11:18 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cafpaf
I am reviving this old thread to let everyone know about my experience with the Extreme HID Kit from Xenon-Depot. First you need to know that I am a Senior fellow, aka Old Fart, who does not consider himself the most talented person when person when it comes to automobile mechanics. I was VERY apprehensive about installing this kit as I did not want to screw anything up that I could not repair. I even had several PM's with Steve at Xenon-Depot. In any case, I ordered the kit and it arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Since it was warm today here in Pittsburgh, I went right to te installation. It was a BREEZE to install. After talking to Steve and getting information here on the forum, I knew that I did not have to install the relay harness and the rest of it was almost intuitive. The entire process took about forty-five minutes and most of that time was spent in locating a place to install the ballast,routing the wires, and securing everything with wire ties. Turned on the power and Voilą! Steve and his staff at Xenon-Depot were wonderful!!! They answered all my questions and were exceptionally professional. I wish I would have taken pictures of the installation but unfortunately I did not. So...the long and the short of it is if you are even thinking about making this modification GO do it now and get the Extreme HID Kit for Xenon-Depot and don't forget to use you CL discount. I can't wait to drive the car this evening to see how much better it really is. It looks great in the garage and just like the lights in our old 2001 RX.
Can you take a pic of where you secured your ballast? Thanks.
Old 02-05-12, 07:00 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^NVM, got everything installed and secured.

Quick Reply: Xenondepot HID Kit + LEDs